1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My first bird hunt

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Took the PM off yesterday to hunt Chuckers with a buddy and his wife. She trains a black Lab. It was quite an experience to hunt over a dog. I think we would have lost at least three downed birds without the dog as the cover was thick and deep.

I was very impressed with the little Browning 28 ga XS Feather I used. I thought I would flinch/choke as I have been using a release trigger for two years. But when the birds flushed, I didn't think at all. Raise the gun, look at the bird, swing, and pull the trigger. We bought 12 birds and found 10 of them. Nine succumbed to the Great Hunters. Five to the little gun.

I used the Winchester 1 oz load with #6 as we were hoping to get some "free" pheasants. That load just crumples birds inside of 30 yards using IC and M chokes. My buddy saw one rooster but did not get a shot at him.

We are going for pheasants next time. I think I will get a F for the top barrel and put the M in the bottom for the bigger birds. He tells me they flush further out and are faster.

The local Gander Mtn has 28 ga Federal Copper 8's for $10/box (regularly $25). Too bad they are too small as the price is right. I might get a couple of boxes for quail though.

Don Verna

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You need to try real Chukar hunting sometime. Those crazy SOBs will run you up and down the loose shale slopes all day before giving you a shot. When you do get them into gun range you want a big bore repeater stuffed with as many rounds as possible because you don't get that many opportunities for a good flush. To add insult to your injuries, the chukar you don't drop will fly off a half mile or so and sit up on some rock and cluk at you and it sounds for all the world like they are laughing at your inability to keep up.

A good pointer is a necessity but even then the odds are heavily on the side of the birds.

And yet we call this fun....

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

It is nice to have you see the other side of the world. Hunting birds is one of my favorite things to do. I am very fortunate to live where I live. I get to shoot doves, pheasants,chukar's,ducks and geese wright out my backdoor. Sometimes I get tired of hunting but for the most part it's a good thing. When it comes to hunting I really do live in Gods country.

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Wolfram, Enjoyed your description, but stumbling through alders and crap for woodcock can be a lot of fun too. All good while we can do it. Enjoy, Bob

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

well lads I take offense. Ain't nothing like wading through chest high grass after roosties with bottom weeds trying to trip you on every step and then those darn coyote and badger holes that you just desend in...

dverna, glad you had a good time :)

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Martin,
    The darn grass was over my head at times. I was sweating after 45 minutes of walking. Wound up 'losing" the orange hunting jacket and hoping my blaze orange hat would be enough. Heck at times only the frickin hat was visible anyway.

I now understand why upland hunting is such an attraction. Watching a well trained dog is really something. She wouldn't make the retrieve until she was signaled to go. She just stayed put, quivering with anticipation.

Say howdy to Devi for me.

Hope all is well with you both.

Don

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Don, remember, its an addiction not an attraction :)

Sentiments will be given to Devi from you.

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I never get tired of hunting. I do get tired of waiting during the off season. You still haven't experienced the biggest thrill in upland bird hunting. Watching a couple of well trained pointing dogs pointing and backing a covey of birds. I don't know which I love more in hunting, seeing a dog on point or watching a flock of ducks cup their wings to come into the decoys. Tomorrow morning I will be duck hunting, next weekend is the quail opener. Very busy day tomorrow. Duck hunting in the morning, followed by a sporting clays tournament, followed by college football game in the evening. You have to love fall. My favorite time of the year.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Martin, I don't get to chase roosters in the grasslands as much as I would like. But I have experienced the 'bottomless pit' humaniod traps. Once while craftily sneaking over to my locked up pointer I found such a hole and proceeded to jab my shotgun barrel in the dirt while testing my limits of knee articulation. Sure enough the dog was on a rooster which did indeed flush at the sound of my shreiking profanity and fly in front of my friend who was laughing so hard that he couldn't even get his shotgun up for the shot.

Painful and embarassing ... yet this too was fun enough that I can't wait to try it again.

10. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

You guys are having too much fun. I am going tomorrow morning for the opening day of quail season in central Illinois. Hope we find a few coveys but all the crops are still in the fields and the outlook is not that good for us. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.