1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My first ATA today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well after a year of practice and 1 season of league, I joined the ATA today and shot 200 singles event at Bradford Gun Club in Pa.

I was able to feel the ponding in my chest and shake in my leg but I stepped to the line and started out my ATA life with a 25 22 23 24 for the first hundred and the rest was a blurr lol 88 for the 2nd hundred. Needless to say I am happy with how I did today and met more new people and had a great time!!

Also I am getting rid of the stock but pad off the BT99 and putting a Pachmyer xlt for the first time I had shot 200 I did get a lil tender and pulled a few toward the end.

But looking forward to more shoots to come in the Western NY Pa areas see ya there

Jerry Lewis

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Good job Jerry. Just keep on shooting and you'll hit that 100 straight eventually. Still waiting on my first. Instead of changing butt pads try filling the stock with shot. Really reduces the recoil and will keep your swing steadier. Good luck. Chuck Hrosik

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

"Filling the stock with shot". Really? Though I can imagine anything that adds weight would reduce recoil. Jim

4. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

I use the factory DTS weight/reducer in my stock but several of the regulars have mentioned that they have shot in a small bag or cylinder in their stocks. We all know that weight is an effective reducer so shot works. Surprisely, its the guys with guns that cost about $2000 to $3000 (dont want to mention brands) that dont want to spend the extra $50 to $100 for a mercury or lead weight reducer. Go figure!

...and keep up the good shooting. Most importantly, make sure it stays fun. Worst thing in the world is a pissed off guy who shot a 97 instead of a 99!! Such bad attitude leads to crotchetiness (sp?), whineyness, trap snobbishness, and more missed birds.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jerry- Welcome to ATA shooting. Don't make too many changes too fast. Try to figure out what is happening before you make a change. Have fun.

SilverShooter- I do become disappointed with myself when I do not shoot as well as I should. Are you saying that the 25-25-22-25 I shot at the Southern Grand should make me happy or should it make me work harder the next time. When I do not do well, I don't get mad, I just become disappointed with myself.

Good scores are relative. I have seen Leo H. and Phil K. disappointed with themselves when they shoot a 198. A friend I travel with is very happy if he shoots a 185 or better.

Pat Ireland

6. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Jerry,

Good shooting and hope to see you back at Bradford today.

Jon Reitz

7. joannl030

joannl030 Member

Jerry and I won't be shooting at Bradford today, catching up on "household" stuff and the annual Easter Egg Hunt, but sure did have a great time.
    I started out my "comeback" year on a good note...98, 97.
    It was awesome seeing how well Jerry did!
    Good shooting to all!
    Jo Ann

8. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

thanks all!!

9. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Jerry,

What is your home club?

10. Kooz25

Kooz25 TS Member

Newbie, Just remember to have fun

Kooz

11. Kooz25

Kooz25 TS Member

One more thing Newbie, Welcome aboard this sport is a little addicting

Kooz

12. NANK

NANK TS Member

Can you tell more about filling the stock of a BT 99 with shot? Is this something that a gun smith has to do, drilling and such? My BT does not beat me up too much, but if that will help it seems to be an inexpensive way to help reduce recoil.

Thanks,

Ken

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well to answer questions My home club is Busti Trap club. Yes its addicting I used to shoot 4 rounds of practice 2-3 times a week. And the wife reminded me we have the mercury supressor we took out of her gun when she got her counter coil for her(I never thought I would shoot enough to get tender as I am 6'3" 300pds.)

I got into this sport cause on the Mrs and I went on our first date. She asked me what I liked to do I said "I like to shoot and blow sh-t up" she answered "ME TOO!" I thought holy moly. At fist when she said she shot trap I thought it was with her dad in the field behind the farm house. She took me to Sugar Grove Vets club in January 09 EVERYONE knew her and I thought ut oh.
    She asked "Well what do you think?" I answerd" Piece of cake they go in straight line!" the rest is history bought a gun( now on my 3rd) and look forward to every opertunity to go blow targets up with her and friends.

Thanks all!!

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.