1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My first and last 100 straight.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by InsureGuy, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Good Afternoon,

I thought that I would share with you my last trapshooting story. Back in 2005 my wife and I separated. There were lots of reasons why but one of the many was my trapshooting obsession that took me away every weekend and a couple of nights through the week. If there was a shoot within 100 miles, I was there and as you well know, it takes a good deal of money to keep a habit like that going.

Anyways, I had moved out in early spring and took all of my guns with me. Since I was supporting 2 households I scaled back my shooting to just wednesday nights and only an occasional registered shoot. My wife was nice enough during the separation that she gave me the mail everyday after the kids got back from school so I still received all the notifications about the shoots. I stopped shooting in early summer and went for 4 or 5 months without firing a shot.

I had shot all over central Illinois and was familiar with most of the clubs. One of my favorites was KVS in Keyesport Illinois. At that time, they threw all orange birds against a mature green tree'd background. I am terribly color blind so I used shooting glasses with a red lens and it made the orange birds look electrified. I could really see them well at KVS. Anyways, I had not shot a bird in 4 or 5 months and wanted to get out and I noticed that KVS had a registered shoot coming up on the weekend. I decided that I would make that shoot. I dont know about most of you, but when I was shooting regularly I would always drive down with someone or a few someones. We generally ended up squadding together and thats how it usually went. Since I had stopped shooting I had no one to drive down with and went solo. I had to stop at Wal-Mart to pick up 8 boxes of Remington STS shells. (love that shiny green shell). Got to KVS and saw all the usual suspects shook hands with everyone and went inside to register. I decided not to see if there were any squads with any of my friends and just took my chances with a squad that only had 3 shooters ( I made the 4th ) and started off on post 2.

I remember thinking that the average age of the sqaud was about 132 years old as most of the guys were well my senior. I was 36 at the time. We started shooting and it was early enough in the fall that the leaves were still green and the birds looked great. I ran my first 25 pretty easily remembering that none of the birds surprised me with any odd dips or hard angles. I felt pretty good. Not having shot in a while and still running 25 in a row felt pretty good. At that time I had only run a 50 straight in all the years of previous shooting. We changed traps and I again ran a 25 straight. Since I done that before I was not overly excited I was just happy to be there and shooting. I felt good. We shuffle to the 3 trap and have to wait because someone had a gun malfunction and their squad had only shot their first 2 stations.

Started our 3rd trap and was really challenged here. Some really low birds and on post 4 and 5 I got all right hand birds. A couple of them only got chips off of so I knew was very close. By this time I had gotten used to the "5" being called when they read the scores. I cant tell you how loud the beating of my heart was inside my earplugs when I came back around to post 1. 5 birds later I had run my first 75 straight. I was elated. Since I did not know anyone on the squad I could only just stand there and smile. No one congratulated me for this 1st time event and it was ok, I didnt want any more pressure thinking about that ever elusive 100 straight.

We shuffle to over the next trap and again we wait for the previous squad. While sitting on a bench behind the trap I am sitting next to an old timer and leans over to me a says "your straight through aren't you ?" I am horrified. When I started shooting many years ago the cardinal rule was NEVER talk with a person going straight when they were at 50 or 75 straight. You never wanted to get into their head or ruin their concentration......... I simply looked at the guy and held my finger to mouth....SShhhhhhhh I told him. He simply smiled and said "Oh, sorry !!" with grin on his face.

We got started on the 4th trap and I was about as nervous as I ever had been. It was on my mind and predicated every single shot. 100 stright.......Can I actually do it ? To be honest I was looking for the first missed bird and thinking that I would do like normal and shoot a 97 or 98. I got clean through the first 3 stations and when I got to post 5, second shot it happened. I took a shot at the 2nd bird and it simply disintgrated. I didnt realize that the guy on post one had turned his bird down previously and I was out of rythem. The guy on post one and I had shot the same bird. The squad stopped and I was so in the zone I did not realize what happened. Since I had purchased the boxes of shells that day and only carried those shells with me I did not have an extra shell so i had to borrow one from the guy standing on the next post over.

Ok, it was here it would happen. I had been given a reloaded shell that I had no idea if it was fast or slow and had to shoot a new bird AFTER the squad had stopped. It was like starting all over. TERRIBLE timing. The bird I got to shoot at was a soft straight away floater that could not have been easier. I finished the 4th post with 95 straight. I walked over to post one and got into position. The gentleman on post five looked down at me and asked me " Are you ready to do this " He hadnt asked this at all at any time before so i knew he was paying attention. I was ready to go. 5 shells to go and on my 5th and last bird I took my time. I stopped, wiped my forehead, and remounted my gun. Deep breath.......Pullllllllll, hard left "oh shit!" wait, wait hit it..........dead bird. Absolutely crushed it...... I am overwhelmed......I look at the rest of the squad, the guy on post one give me a thumbs up and I san only stand there grinning from ear to ear. After the last shot everyone walks up and congratulates me with a handshake.

It was 1 of 2 100 straights that day. A senior vet hit the lottery with me. I withdrew from the handicap. I figured that was the best i could ever do. I was so happy that I didnt mind leaving early.

That was the last registered bird I shot. That fall I had to sell all of my guns and reloading equipement in order to make all of the bills. My wife and I went through counseling and got back together just before the new year. We have been married 21 years now. I have since purchased a few guns but sold all of them because they were not what I ultimately wanted. I have not shot a bird since then, but remained a "lurker" here on this site throughout. I am happy to check in and read the trials and tribulations of other and enjoy the many discussions about 7.5 vs 8's.

Thats my best story I have to share.

Jason

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

That's a good story Jason. I hope you can get back into shooting sometime and I'm really glad you salvaged your marriage.

John

3. Shawn

Shawn Member

Jason

I enjoyed your story. I am glad you got your "100" before you packed it in.

Shawn

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Great Story, Jason. Come East to the Cardinal Center, or even further to Elysburg. I'd be proud to be on your squad and share that 2nd 100 straight with you. I even have a few extra shells....grin

best...mike

5. BD457

BD457 Member

Great story Jason. I feel like I'm headed down the same road. well, other than the 100 straight, the selling all your guns, the seperation from my wife, and the driving all over the state to shoot. I guess what I'm trying to say is: I love trap shooting too.

Mike

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thank God that I have such an understanding wife.

Ed Yanchok

7. slick50

slick50 Member

Jason, Nicely told....Very good read... You should think about being a trap shooting journalist during your break from shooting... Thanks, Bill

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Jason you are a good storyteller. I felt like I was there. Do yourself a favor and get back in, even if it's very limited. And don't worry about which gun, they will all break a clay. Bill

9. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Ed,

You would have no way of remembering it, but in 2004 i purchased 3000 grey AA hulls from you. I only loaded 500 of them and the other 2500 still sit in my attic. Just as clean as the day they were delivered.

Jason

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That story is very close to how it happened to me. I shot trap starting in the late 50's but only shot registered from about 85-86 or ?? In about 86 I bought a new SKB 505 combo 34" and I went to Fulton County GC in Rochester Indiana to shoot a reg event. I signed up for singles and caps and bet the whole nine yards. Not because I was that good but I did have a lot of confidence then as I was shooting 5 days a week somewhere and I liked to gamble. I went out to the first 25 in singles starting on post 5 and broke all 25 but never once did I have a good break. I was puzzled because I really felt the hand eye coordination that day and I knew I was in the center of them. I go out and break the next 25 the same way, all chips. When I got back to the line to get shells for the 3rd 25 I was asked by a friend what the hell tube I had in the gun? I looked and I had forgotten to put a tube in it ( I was used to shooting my Rem 31 and never had tubes before) Well now I was nervous so I chugged a beer and stuck a mod tube in and proceeded to smoke the next 49 and the 100th target came fast to the left and low. I took the top off it. Never shot a 100 before or since and likely never will because I have not shot a registered target since that day. I broke a 99 in the caps same day ( 23 yard line) and I took home a wad of money and a nice money clip engraved 100X100 that Don Cain gave me. Don and Linda ran the club then and did a great job. Don is struggling with cancer now and I hope and pray every day that he gets better.sorry to bore everybody but jasons 100 struck a memory for me

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Great story Jason.

Rick in MT

12. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I really enjoyed reading this. One of the best posts I have read.

13. bubbasdad92

bubbasdad92 Member

I guess I'm fortunate to have gotten off on the right foot. I was married in early September. I and the groomsmen were late for the rehearsal because the doves were flying well. The bride took it in stride, no problem. The bride's mother, not so much.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

So, what did she give up?

15. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

When I first brought your story up, almost clicked out...looked too long. But found it riviting and enjoyable. Ever tried taking the wife with you? I did and she became a multi year state team member and won lots of state championships around the country. Time we spent together at favorite gun clubs and on tour was the best times of our lives. Good luck and thanks!

milt

16. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Thanks for the story Jason - was a good read. Hope your marriage stays strong for a long time.

17. Steve Bills

Steve Bills Member

Jason..Well written,great story..Nice of you to share you story w/ all of us. Happy to hear you & wife back together..Go shoot some trap & take the wife w/you & treat her to dinner I did this 35 yrs.ago,my wife started shooting trap w/ me & Iam still taking her to dinner after each shoot..Steve

18. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Jason,
    I, too, felt like I was there watching you as I read your entertaining story.

You should be a writer.

Dick

19. lance howard

lance howard Member

Jason, great read. Glad you worked it out. I was introduced to my wife on a trap range by an old friend of mine, and I have not shot him yet. When we planned the wedding, I asked if it could be late afternoon. You guessed it, I went shooting the day I got married, got home late, still made it on time(five minutes late maybe) that was 34 years ago. She still goes with me once in a while but does not shoot anymore. Best to you. Get back into it. Leagues ar just practice, Who cares? Just do it. Lance Howard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.