1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My first 25 straight!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Colonel Reb, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

It took me a lot longer than everybody else, but after 2 and a half years I finally did it. I think a lot of it was learning how to compensate for my gun's factory LOP which is too long. I can't slide it up into position quickly like most people do. I had to learn to thrust the gun as far forward as I can and then pull it back into the "pocket" on the mount. I also have to cock my head a little to get my eye on the barrel so my head's not good and straight but it is necessary for eye alignment.

I have watched videos from Kay Ohye and Phil Kiner and they helped but not as much I think as just practice and determination. Someone commented on here yesterday on Nora Ross's teaching that a one eye shooter needs to "see some cement" above the barrel. I actually shoot 2 eyed but do have to be careful of cross dominance, so I shoot low house like a 1 eye shooter. I guess the catchy alliteration worked, because I remembered that and used it today. Funny how one little thing you learn can make the difference.

I didn't try for the 50. I was so overjoyed I just left the range then to come home and glue on the 25 straight patch.

My ultimate goal is to win a registered match with the gun, which is a lowly Remington 870 Classic Trap.

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Congrat's on your 25! It's great feeling.

As an aside...as for your lowly "870", yesterday at a shoot I was at, I overheard a conversation where a gentleman's "P" gun broke down twice during the morning handicap. He borrowed a gun - an 870 actually and proceeded to break 98 or 99 with it. He decided NOT to fix his "P" gun for the 2nd handicap and shot the 870 with it.

Keep up the good shooting (and do try and get your gun to fit you a bit better!).

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Ain't it fun! They will now come easier.

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

kudos on your 25 but the question is, why do you shoot a gun that is too long for you?

5. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

congrats !

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Reb. Mark down the date, place, and bank. You'll have fun remembering in later years.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Reb,

Good for you!

Consider getting the gun fitted a bit better. You can shoot better scores with your 870 if it fits you.

Get an old beater off Ebay and hack away. What do you have to lose except fewer lost birds? It isn't like you will be ruining a $3000 piece of wood.

Don

8. Bobby36

Bobby36 TS Member

congrats

That 25 is alot harder than that 24 aint it

9. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Colonel, also think of it as 100% of the targets you shot that you broke. I have never missed when shooting my future son-in-laws gun. I shot it once, broke the target and put the gun down. Never shot it again. I can say, I have never missed with that gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy

Mike

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Get the gun to fit!!! 870's are great guns. Look for the long gone and lamented 870 comp as an upgrade. Still relatively cheap...and look for some trigger springs and/or a Timney trigger and you will have a pumper that will kick booty and shoot as well as them "furrin" jobs.

11. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Now I'm going to see if I can break 25 with my 1100 Classic Trap.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Congratulation there on some fine shooting Colonel Reb. Enjoy the week and remember the glory. Next weekend is coming up soon. Oh Yeh, do get your gun fitted!! It will be much more enjoyable to shoot that way. Break-em all. Jeff

13. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Colonel Reb Congrats! Why haven't you taken the and had it shortened? If it's a matter of money let me know I'll cut it and install a pad really inexpensive for you. PM me I won't commit to a price here because of some of the mooches out there. Those who know me know I help those who can't afford all the time.
    Joe

14. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have shot many 25s , but never so greatful as for the next one.And I do remember the first 25 and the first 100. But always thankful for the next.
    Good Luck.

Joe Woods/Ontario

15. pw1

pw1 TS Member

I used to shoot a TMX and at the Oklahoma state shoot several years ago the Jones Plate came loose and it made me so mad I fixed it and then put it up and got out my 870 Express with a 30' full and a slug stock and won the short yardage handicap championship.
    I used to get teased about shooting a 870 and having a Perazzi for a backup. I still shoot the old 870 on ocasion and it shoots great. I ran 25 with it on the 4th of July this year.

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Congrat's man that first one is the hardest!! Keep shooting and you'll be on here telling us about your first 100 straight

17. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Hey Reb. drop a quick note to remington arms and they'll send you a nice certificate with a 25 patch---no charge--. I still have my first 25 certificate from 35 years ago. motordoc

18. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

Didn't know Remington did certificates. I have a whole bag of Remington 25 patches since I'm an SCTP coach. I only now was able to give myself one.

I've been wanting this, but now that I've done it perhaps I shouldn't have wished for it. Because now I want to buy a truckload of ammo and go to the range and try for the 50. Maybe I can finally get out of D class this year.

19. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

yes I sent in a name of a friend and in less than one week he got the patch and certificate.

20. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Good shooting....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.