1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Favorite Leo Harrison Story...I was there!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Back in the late 80's I was at the Golden West Grand when it was held at the old Harrold's Club outside Reno. I shot well in one handicap and went to the pay window to collect my winnings. Right behind me were Nora Martin and behind her Leo Harrison and behind him a man about 1/2 Leo's size with a horrible vocabulary. While we were waiting for the payouts the man behind Leo (you couldn't see him obviously but you could sure hear him) was carrying on with some story he wanted everyone else to hear and was spewing profanities along the way. Well....after a couple of "choice vulgarities" flowed from this gents lips Leo thought he might interceed and here is what he said. "I don't know where YOU are from BUT where I come from we don't talk that way in public and NEVER around ladies". That is all Leo said and there was no response from the offender but I can tell you this; after Leo spoke I learned what they mean when they say "THE SILENCE WAS DEFENING". I got paid...Nora got paid...Leo got paid....and the guy behind Leo walked off VERY QUIETLY. That is my favorite Leo Story...I was there....

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Great story Rick. I have known a few that speak that very way anywhere and in front of anybody. I believe it is a way for others to see just how ignorant that person is. Thanks for your story about "The Gentle Giant".------Matt

3. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

My Dad and I are new to the ATA and are just learning about the great shooters that dominate week after week. We shot at the Ohio State shoot this year and Dad had 97 Tuesday in the Hcp event and so did Mr Harrison. We were at the central building watching the scores on the big board and somebody overheard Dad and I talking about his 97. This guy said "Hey, you tied Leo!" Dad replied "Who is Leo?" After the week was over Mr.Harrison only missed 3 more targets and neither of us tied him again. It was an amazing run of targets and now we know who Leo is.

Doug Allison

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Leo is the best reminder that it is the shooter and not the gun. If some crooks hadn't stolen both of his 1100's at the Spring Grand in Phoeniz many years ago he would probably still be shooting one.....and winning!!

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

During the Eastern Missouri Zone shoot, sometime in the early 90's, at Wright City a fierce thunderstorm rumbled in. The lightning caused us all to find shelter in Wright City's old club house and as we watched the torrent of rain out the window I found myself standing I found myself stand next to Leo III.

Soon the roof started leaking and a steady stream fell on my head. Leo calmly looked down at me, smiled and asked, "how's the weather down there?"

6. fracdog

fracdog TS Member

What a surprise seeing a post about the Wright City Mo gun club. Started trapshootig there in the 70's.

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I remember one of my first trips to Phoenix for the Spring Grand.

Just went in the clubhouse and by the south door Jimmy Robinson was

asking Leo some questions.

Just as I went by I hear Jimmy ask Leo "When was your last 100 in doubles?"

"About 10 minutes ago."

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

One time I heard him say to someone "whenever someone asks me what I do for a living I just tell them I sell empty shotgun shells!"

Another time in Reno he was leaning up against a gun rack and it broke right in half. He just looked around and said "oops."

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

first time i saw leo was at the grand in the 80's. he was shooting an 1100 and i remember saying to myself how the gun looked like a toy in his hands. move forward 25 years, and leo shot the wisocinsin state shoot at the waukesha gun club. i was walking by and saw him leaning up against a car. i stoped to talk to him, we spent 30 minutes discussing the stomach surgery he had to lose weight, as i was also contintplating having the same procedure done at the time. he was very gracious with his time. told him a friend of mine was going to be shooting a preliminary handicap and i expected to see my friend and leo in the shootoff. sure enough, my friend tied leo. leo was on 27 yards, my friend on 20. the shootoff was at night after a long day of shooting. my friend beat leo that night, but leo congratulated him as though my friend beat him from the 27 yd line, instead of the 20. the very next month at the grand, my friend took 9th in the big handicap and leo came up to him, remembered his name and congratualted him. in my, as well as my friend's opinion, as great a shooter that leo is, he is even better as a person. he's a great ambassador for our sport.
    steve balistrreri

10. LV Trapshooting Park

LV Trapshooting Park TS Member

I couldn't resist this one. Back in the late 70's, Leo drove over from Hannibal to meet me and a friend for a day of duck and goose hunting just out of Chillicothe, MO. At some point during the day, I was out of the blind with my lab, and some geese were coming in. The dog and I was caught out in the open and hid in some weeds. I looked over at the blind, and I can see about 2 feet of Leo sticking out of it. I hollered over "Leo, get down, birds coming in", he replied "I am down!"

Congratulations on another great year and Grand American Big Guy!

Steve Carmichael

Las Vegas Gun Club

11. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

a fellow mo. shooter went up against leo @ the fall handicap- it was asked how do you beat leo- he'll just wear you down?---- an old timer finally quiped-dont miss!!!!!!!!

12. butch32

butch32 Member

Keep the leo storys coming. Never did meet leo but I remember watching him under the lights in vandalia in a shoot-off in either 2004 or 2005.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

"I am down!" That's the best, Steve.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Leo H. III is a good person. I can't beat him on the trap line so once I thought about getting him into a card game. But, quickly I learned that he might play cards better than he shoots trap.

Pat Ireland

15. Twixter

Twixter Member

Back in the late 70's we were at the Iowa State Shoot. Right outside the clubhouse there was a little sand pile. A fiend of mine had his young son with him at the shoot, he was maybe three then and was playing with some toy farm equipment in the sand. Along comes Leo and dowwn on his belly he goes and plays with the boy for probably a good half hour. The boys Grandmother has some pictures of all this, wish I had access to them. I've never seen Leo not acknowledge anyone who has said hello to him. A finer human being has never walked the trap line.

16. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Anyone know if Leo shot most, if not all of a doubles event with his 1100 that was not cycling correctly, requiring Leo to cycle it manually between shots? If this is true, did he break them all?

17. rick979

rick979 Active Member

As far as I know he shot doubles with a Browning that he won at a shoot in Australia at the same time that he was shooting an 1100 for handicap. He still shoots an O/U for singles. Do I think he could break them all with an 1100 than was malfunctioning. Yes, I do. Anyone remember Leo using the 1100 exclusively and rammin' the shells in it? Please add to my post if you can.

18. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Paladin, yes Leo has gone through an entire doubles even having to periodically close the bolt after the first shot. Can't say now for sure that he ran 100 doing this but it was very likely. I would finally clean the darn gun for him and I think he knew this!

rick979, the browning you speak of above came after the Beretta auto which replaced the 1100 he used for many years.

19. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Thanks pheasantmaster.

To periodically close the bolt after the first shot and complete the event is an amazing feat.

20. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Speaking of doubles, I remember the year at Springfield, IL at the state shoot, Leo made a last minute trip to shoot the doubles championship. He rolled in, coming straight from work, and jumped on a squad with no one he knew. The guy shooting next to him had never shot doubles before and on top of that he shot an automatic...needless to say, the poor guy struggled. Leo stopped a couple of times and explained that he might try to shoot the right target first on the first 3 posts, then the left target first on the last two posts, Leo then helped him take his gun apart between traps, clean it and put it back together. If I'm not mistaken, he helped him clear the gun a couple of times when it jammed.It took the squad almost 2 hours to finish and you guessed it, Leo never dropped a target....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.