1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My expierence w/reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I recently got a few pounds of RECLAIMED Shot that I washed and tumbled,
    and using my settings for 1 1/8th oz or 492 grains found it to drop really light
    463 grains, had to go to almost 1 1/4oz settings to get 1 1/8th oz or 492 grains,

I use an adjustable charging bar in my MEC Loader.

That required me to use a 1 1/4 oz wad in the shell so it would crimp.

That shot was or could have been laying in the drop zone for 32 years.

I loaded a 100 today and that will be the last I will load of it.

I know there is better reclaimed shot out there that has not been subjected to that much OXIDATION.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. warren

warren Member

I agree that it does load lighter but I cannot tell the difference when you shoot it, my scores remain the same. I recently purchase 150 lbs and have loaded and shot nearly all of it and cannot tell the difference in the results.
    Except it's cheaper

warren

3. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

My experience has been similar to Warren's. It is lighter but the results seem the same. I like it fine - and love the $aving$. Don't give up on it, Gary. Let me suggest you just use your regualar 1-1/8 wads and go back to your original charge bar setting for your lead drop. Mike

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

oxidation lightens the weight of lead?

5. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

If you are using an adjustable charge bar, why don't you adjust it so that it drops 1 1/8 oz and then just use your regular wad? Resetting an adjustable charge bar with a balance beam scale takes less than 5 minutes. I don't understand the problem. As a matter of fact, I never pay attention to what the settings are. Anytime I switch between powders and/or payloads, I just pull out the scale and start adjusting. Only takes a few minutes to dial it in.

I have been shooting reclaim at 16 yd practice for months. I shoot a LM choke with 8.5's in registered, so I do notice a difference in breaks, but I can't claim to have dropped a single target because of reclaim vs. new. It's just the 8.5's produce smoke that the reclaim doesn't. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the reclaim registered if needed to.

Chip Porter

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

70% of the shot make it to a 30" circle at 40 yds. the first time loaded. Anyone figure what % makes it there on it's next trip!!

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I shot my first 100 straight with 1 oz reclaimed shot. I shoot it all the time for singles and first shot on doubles. Also all I shoot for practice. Bought a 55 gallon drum of it from leadminer about 3 years ago. Sold some of it, got about 20 bottles left. Will buy another when the time comes. Bill

8. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

The last time I shot reclaimed shot I broke a 95 (16 yards). The other five targets were heavily dusted. If you are a serious shooter you might want to use the best available tools/supplies.

9. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

I have been using it for our aim team. It helps out the kids who are short on money. It costs 35.00 per flat so I charge the kids 35.00 a flat. I saw no differance in scores.

The only complaint I have is bridging. It seems to happen more often with reclaim. I guess it is easier for the little flat spots to line up and not come down the reloading tube. Gets a little fustrating but the cost savings makes up for it.

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Dawgman, I'm not sure but I'd expect the percentage to increase exponentially as each pellet becomes more experienced in it's desired path. No??

11. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Gary,

Shotgun shells are reloaded by volume on any press that I have seen. Your chang in shot weight 463gr. / 492gr. reveals only a 6% change in weight. If you loaded enough to fill a 1 1/4oz. wad---chances are the pressures in your chamber went up significantly. If I was you, I would go back to the original wad and charge and not worry. Have you compared the performance?

Chuck

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

why were you having to wash and tumble reclaimed shot and not just reloading it?

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I've been loading Re-Claim for several years now, all my bushings drop light whether new or RC, they were closer with the old chilled shot but still light. When I point it in the right direction the results are the same or very near. I do have a couple newer ones that are stamped size specific that are closer but still light. Pacific--Hornady bushings. Ross Puls

14. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

My experience has been different when I weighed reclaimed and #7 1/2 magnum shot out of the same shot bushing the reclaimed weighed more.Since chilled shot(cheap shot) weighs more by volume than 6% magnum shot the difference must be dirt and foreign material to make it weigh lighter.Jerry

15. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Chuck & Chip,
    Gary's explanation of his issues - seem perfectly logical. He wants to drop an exact 1-1/8 oz (493 gr) of shot. After all, load recipes (ie pressure build-up) are based on weight of shot. The only problem is, for him to get 493 gr of this reclaimed .... it takes up a larger volume due to the individual shot not being perfectly round anymore - it cant pack as densely. Thats why he has to use a larger volume wad to be able to get an acceptable crimp.

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My experience with reclaimed shot was that the patterns tend to be patchy - a lot of holes especially at HC distances. Most of that experience was with shot that I collected and processed myself so there my be better quality material available from a commercial operation.

But the one truth about using reclaimed shot is that it does streach your shooting dollar and if that means the difference between going to the range for some practice and staying home then it is a really good deal!

17. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Dawg, how about 76% at the 16. 57% at the 27. With 1 1/8 loads.

The real break up happens around the 23 to 24. I'll shoot good reclaim at the 16 but to shoot it at a Handicap longer than 23. Well, that's just stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

Ajax

18. d.delph

d.delph TS Member

We have several members shooting it at our club, from 16 to 27, the targets are breaking as it was regular shot. We see no difference. Dan Delph.

19. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Last practice I shot my own shot, which looks a little better than reclaimed, a lot heavier and patterns better. Buy I shot a 48. Not horrible

20. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Anyone here shoot an AA registered Singles average with re-claimed shot step forward!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.