1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Duck Blind

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shooter66, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooter66

shooter66 TS Member

WOW nice work!!!!! Perfect Planning!

2. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Nice work (and lots of it!) but from a duck's perspective 30 yards overhead (not from a camera's perspective) it's going to look a lot like a duck blind.
    :) But, you'll have some very comfortable hunts out of that beauty.

Hint: grab some more brush and put it BEHIND and ON TOP of that palace.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Those pic's were the 3 year it was up. The people I hunted with were great duck hunters but they were not carpenters. That is why I built it for them. Besides I wanted a out of the wind blind. LOL. I'm sorry to say that both of my friends are no longer with us. Problems came around after it was put up and thats why the blind is not as covered as it sould be when the pic's were taken. I hope to do some improvements later.

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Auctioneer, Where are you located? How did you anchor it to the marsh? I built one similar many years ago here in Rowley marsh. Drove the 4x4's into the marsh and then put the pre-fabed pieces on top. A super Nor'Easter wiped it out and we never found one stick of it. LOL. Great memories, Good shooting, Bob

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Excellent blind.

Here's ours, I pre-fabbed it at the house...grandkids helped erect it in the field.

Curt - Delaware

[​IMG]

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

After completion...

Curt

[​IMG]

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I hunted ducks in a variety of places. One of my most memorable experiences was using water skis to traverse the marsh after downed ducks. That was in Southern WI. But hunting the IL River (Senachwine) we had dogs. Good days.MIss the hunts. Might do it yeat again. Hunting area is just 3 blocks via water to the hunt on the Missisppi back water. Lotta woodies, qand green heads. Can hear shots all season from my office.

Nice blinds you guys. Very nice.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Bob Hawkes, I built a crude blind several years ago on a brook in Westford using some locally cut saplings driven into the mud etc. came back to hunt on Saturday and the damn beavers have decimated it....all that was left was a water level pallet on stilts!
    [​IMG]

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I tried the water ski thing, but a hunting buddy suggested it would be more comfortable to ride in the boat. It is hard to get up to skiing speed in our marsh.

10. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

You guys need to do it like we do in Idaho. We lay in the tall grass or lay on the ground. All that building is way to much work for lousy stinking old goose or duck. I guess I am a little spoiled. The ducks and geese are lousy thick on my 800 acres. I cant count how many I have shot wright out the back door of my house.

11. Auctioneer

I live in central Va and the blind is on Fishbone Island. I painted the roof green with about 3 coats of paint. My friends were the ones who put the brush up. At the time and still now learning the sport. I do how ever know NOTHING SHINY, NOTHING BRIGHT. Those things will have the ducks turn tail. My Browning A5 is painted 3 of marsh color. When I first started I had a shinny barrel and when I grabbed it the sun would reflect off it. Now its painted. Not the best looking gun but it works.

Now talk about spoiled. I saw on one of the game hunting shows you walk in to a hunting lodge, put your stuff away. Talk awhile then put your gear on and then go to a door the goes down to what you think is a basement. At the bottom there is a tunnel. you walk about 200 yards and go up a set of stairs. You are now in an area that has a bar, kitchen, lounge and a row of chairs facing a marsh grass wall. It is also has heat. In other you are in your blind. You just walked under the lake to it. The marsh grass wall will open and you thenshoot the ducks. I saw this years ago and I don't remember where it was. Hunt, drink and eat all you want and not get cold.

12. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Nice blind,but not much room for the Iowa corn fed pork Queens.

Bo

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bo...

That's why I built my blind 6' deep x 12' wide....

Curt

14. Auctioneer

Bob Hawkes, sorry for not answering your question about how we anchored the blind. There are 9 main posts to the blind. We dug 9 holes to set the blind in. We dug as far as we could with the water coming in like it does. There were 4 of us and we put the blind together then lifted it up and put it in place. One other person and I were the biggest of the four. He being a good 300 pounder. Not all fat. Myself 240. Once we got the blind in place he and I got inside and at the same time jumped on each corner till it wouldn't go down any more. The blind is about 2 feet off the ground and I would say the posts are 2 + feet in the ground. All 9 of them. It does lean forward just alittle so water when it rains drains out and so you don't have to much ice building up around your feet.

15. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

Here is our goose pit we got it kinda rough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is all you can see from the outside.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of part of the spread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a random pic before we started shooting...

[​IMG]

16. windyflat

windyflat Member

Curt .. How big did you build your pre fab blind? I'm surrounded by corn& alfalfa fields for miles in either direction. I just may put one those a 1/2 mile behind our house. We get 1000's and 1000's of canadas and snows working thru here every year.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Handi Cap, You must be close to refuge.

18. Jeff BT-99

Jeff BT-99 Member

Central NE. This area just holds a lot of geese with the platte river and corn fields. There is a lot of competetion in the area but we have over 2000 dekes so this helps our odds. :)

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

winyflat...

The blind is basically 12' wide x 6' deep with a 4' roof (pitched @ 4/12) The door is 21" wide.

It will accommodate 5 good size hunters (and dog). the bench seat is 2 - 2x10's to seat on and place your gear. I built other shelves in it for shells, coffee cups, etc.

I have more pictures, just send me a email address and I'll send you some.

Curt

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Auctioneer, You'll appreciate this then. I had made the floor so that the 4x4's slid up through in the corners. We drove the 4 by's with a 10 lb sledge at least 6' into the salt marsh. Then we slid the floor on, leveled it, and put the rest together on top. It was some rugged. The North easter that took it out was blowing on shore with only about a half mile behind us to woods. I couldn't believe that we could never find a stick of it. Those were fun times. Thanks for sharing. Good health and good shooting to you, Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

duck blind on stilts

duck hunting blind stilt

erecting duck blind on 4x4 stilts

stilt duck blind