1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Dog

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SeanGamble, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeanGamble

SeanGamble TS Member

I have 2 top brass golden retrievers. One is named Finny and she is about 4 years old and has a very high prey drive and when i walk her at this open field near by she flushes pheasants every time we go. Sounds like a perfect hunting dog right? well there is a problem. She is 100% gun shy. im talkin she wont even go in the same room as a gun. she doesnt like the sound, the look or smell of a gun. I am afraid to take my girls hunting because Finny will run away at the sight of a gun and the other dog is still a pup and has a bit more of a play drive than a prey drive(she would rather chase her tail than chase birds). The pups name is Margaret and shes a sweet heart just like Finny. any help would be greatly apreciated.
    thanks,
    -sean

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Sean, contact a professional trainer it will be the best money you ever spent. Bill

3. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I have read that a dog can be broken of this through and similar noise phobias through the use of food. Something like every time it's your dogs feeding time and gradually introduce the unfavorable noise so it's starts associating the noise with something that is positive....A dogs drive to fulfill it need for food will override the fear of the noise...

I have also heard that it's very hard to do but it can be done....Depending on where you live you may not be able to shoot off a gun while your dog is feeding so a professional may be you only option...

4. SeanGamble

SeanGamble TS Member

i think were just going to contact a professional. it sounds like a good option

5. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Professionals may not want to mess with this. We had a very gun-shy
    Golden Retreiver, but he also wanted to be with us. We started taking
    him to the gun club, but would leave him far back and go shoot. We
    left him where he could see us. We moved him a little closer each visit.
    After about 10 shoots he was right along side of us. We did this at
    a Sporting Clays Club during informal practice and made sure it was
    OK with our squad. We moved him from one station to the other, but
    kept him back a distance at first. He turned out to also be a great
    retriever. Call if you have questions, Gary Owen (605)532-4055.

6. checker

checker Member

How did Finny get this way? How long has she been like this? Is she Gun Shy? Yes for sure. Noise Shy?? With puppies....feeding time deal (or later any time)...make noise, little them more and more, louder and lowder. Drop the Stainless Steel food bowl, kick the trash can, kick 4-5 soda cans, throw a 5 gallon plastic bucket against the wall, reve up the lawn mower, shoot a cap gun all at feeding time or when pointing a bird as dog gets older..... At EVERY NOISE the handler does NOT react, acts normal......no big deal this noise.....Noise won't hurt me. The dog picks up on how you feel...be calm and assertive. If you are apresensive about noise or gunfire the dog will be too.
    With my 4.5 month old GSH Pointer....I'm always making some loud unexpected loud noise....at anytime of day.
    GOOD LUCK

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

My one dog has the same problem. He's extremely afraid of any loud noises and won't even look at a gun. At the sight of a gun he runs and hides. The food recommendation is what has helped in my situation. By giving him a treat when I'm handling my guns and/or doing something that is loud he's starting to slowly come around.

My other dog on the other hand is almost the perfect bird dog. He loves to go to the range, gun noises don't bother him, he has a natural tendency to point and chase birds but he's only 4.5 lbs so that's his downfall.

8. checker

checker Member

Hey Rich219....your OTHER DOG is perfect for werns and sparrows...nothing over .7 oz.....low demand....Sorry.
    Here are pictures of my noise makers.....and and older dog helps train the gun shy dog like Finny.

Sean, let Finney and Margaret romp in the driveway/yard while you make a few noises with the cans etc...I love to play "kick the can" and make a racket. Then I have to go back inside to my 6" X 8' room here at State Pen LOL
    [​IMG]

9. otnot

otnot Active Member

I had a female chessy that would run at the sight or sound of a gun. To cure her I started to use a dummy launcher that uses .22 blanks. She loved to swim and compete with my male so that is where I started. By that fall she wasn't sound sensitive but still didn't like the sight of a gun.

I decided it was time to take her duck hunting. The first shot was a kill and it went into the water but my dog was just a quivering mass of hair. So I walked her out into the water so she could see the duck and sent her to retrieve it. Once she tasted the blood and warm duck she put two and two together and became a great retriever.

10. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Buy her some ear muff's and use sign language while hunting.

Ok just joking but I like the ideal about taking her to the gun club several times and she will see you like to shoot your gun and maybe she will want to get a little closer each time as teddy34 done on his dog.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/animation/?action=view&current=dog_panting.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

foggy

11. Flybob71

Flybob71 TS Member

Some great ideas already posted. I had a GSP that I rescued that was so gunshy, she'd jump in your lap (literally) with any noise. Forget about thunderstorms. I did the same thing that was suggested. I used a flat galvanized dog bowl and slammed it down every time I fed her, then fed her outside and snapped a cap gun off, then eventually snap the cap gun off in the house. Then I reloaded .410 popper loads with just a primer, powder, and wad and snapped them off and eventually moved her closer, then started shooting a shotgun at a distance. Also as suggested, bringing her to a gun club after some acclimation and parking far away from the shooting line then eventually moving closer will help. The key is to reward the dog after the noise i.e. food or retrieve so the dog associates the noise with something good.
    Remember, gunshyness is a learned behavior so the dog was probably exposed to loud noises too early or had a negative experience with loud noises somewhere down the line. This process should be long so take your time. Don't move onto the next step until the dog is comfortable with the prior step. Good luck and I hope this helps-Bob Kulpa

12. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Get another dog.

EE

13. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

EE, little harsh there, aren't we?

14. checker

checker Member

We are trying to help this dog and situation.....no need for you comments EE.
    Flybob71 summed it up very well......"Remember, gunshyness is a learned behavior so the dog was probably exposed to loud noises too early or had a negative experience with loud noises somewhere down the line. This process should be long, so take your time. Don't move onto the next step until the dog is comfortable with the prior step."

15. SeanGamble

SeanGamble TS Member

hey everybody thanks for all the help. i have some good news, we took the dogs to the gun club and they did absolutely fine! even with the really loud shots from the skeet and sporting clays echoing off of the water they didn't even think twice about it. we talked to one of our very good friends about it and he said that by the way fin's been acting shes not gunshy in the field. im very excited for this hunting season and once again thanks for all the help!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.