1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My dog is itching!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jimborn, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

My Lab of 2 years, who has always itched, has been getting worse. Benedryl helps, but feel sorry for him. Going to go off Purina One and vet recommends sensitive skin Science Diet. Any other ideas?

2. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Sounds like he could have Mange, take him to a vet
    Woody

3. t-bar

t-bar Member

It's probably seasonal allergies, my dog has it in the spring and fall. Have given allergy meds, but have to take him to the vet for an allergy shot. Hate to do it, steroids aren't good for anyone. We have switched food several times right now feeding Taste of the Wild (Tractor Supply) has no corn meal products. Good luck.

bar

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I agree with Mange. My vet said this year has been the worst he's ever seen. My dog had it too.

5. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Hi there! Scott's wife here. Since I do a lot of rescue for Labs and Britts he asked me to email you back.
    Many dogs get itchy because they are allergic/intolerant to foods with corn, wheat, gluten and additives. I would recommend that you try a grain-free, corn-free, wheat-free food because that usually is the problem. You may save your poor dog a lot of grief if you try this first.

All Science Diet food is basically Shelter food, and not really that great for dogs. The vets push it because they get a cut from Science Diet for carrying it, and of course it is a huge profit for them as the food is relatively cheap for them to buy, so they mark it up, especially the "prescription" stuff.

As I said , most itching is food allergy related in dogs, and about 85% of the time changing to food that has no corn, no wheat, no gluten is the problem solver.

If you are going to spend the extra buck for "prescription" food, go all out, and get your pup a really good food that will be better for digestion, make their stool smaller and firmer (because they actually take in all the nutrients, hence less poop!) I recommend any of the following: Best choice is probably EVO, then Taste of the Wild, Earth-born is what I am feeding now (the grain free version), Fromm's is wonderful, as is Instinct. In short, there are many great foods that people don't know about because they aren't in the local supermarket. Below is a great link to food ratings - take a look and see for yourself. Just remember it may take up to 6 months for all the itching to stop, but give it time, I'd be willing to bet it is a food intolerance/allergy.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Sorry if this is windy, but I am always trying to steer people away from mass produced dog food with tons of additives. Think of it this way - feeding Purina is kinda like McDonald's for dogs. We are all just so used to hearing the name we just assume it is a good food...Not so!

Good luck!
    Sue J

6. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

what about Eukanuba, I get mine a Petco. What are good brands to look for.

Lew

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Our Lab had a problem and the vet checked his thyroid level and the dog had to take an inexpensive pill for the rest of his happy 14 years.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Merrick is all we have used for years. They are highly rated, and their customer service is great. Go to the web site and click on "their story". They also make make the grain free dog food called Before Grain.

Wayne

9. RMR

RMR Member

It would be well spent $$ to ask your vet for a referral to a board certified veterinary dermatoligist. Many vets will screw around treating dogs like yours for years with little to no help - putting them on a butt load of differrent drugs(like steroids which are not good for the dogs helth). A board certified dermatoligist has almost 2X the amount of training a regular vet has - and will know what test to run as opposed to guessing a lot.

Just my 2 cents worth- but I think its good info as Im a board certified veterinary surgeon and I se the same kind of stuff pertaining to surgical problems.

look up the american college of veterinary dermatologist- they should have a listing of board certified vet dermatologist in you state. If your regular vet wont reffer you to one- find another vet period!!!

10. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I have a setter that now is 10mo. old, and i have done every test, and finally an allergy panel,walla a $1000.00 later i find see is allergi to beef, corn, rice, and egg. Thats the food allergies, now the enviromental, cottonwood, cedar, popal,wheat, and rye. Hows that for an an $800.00 hunting dog, but the breeder is giving me another pup from the next litter, same mother different father. Keeping my fingers crossed. Do yourself a favor and have an allergy panel done right away.

11. Steve Fischer

Steve Fischer Member

Change your dog's food to Newman's Own. Most dog foods have way too much corn meal to add bulk. This is often the cause of itching and scaly skin on dogs.

I had the same problem when I tried to feed mine Beneful. after a few months she was always scratching and looked like a candidate for a Head and Shoulders dandruff commercial. After going on Newman's own brand (By Paul Newman, the recently deceased actor), in about 3 weeks, she was no longer scratching and the dry skin dandruff was completely gone.

12. Mapper

Mapper Member

I once had a Beauvior that had an itchy back. I got some stuff from the vet called(I think) Pet Food Tabs. Kind of granulated. A couple of spoonfulls in his food each day and he was OK.

13. Hank55

Hank55 Member

My 8 year old lab is doing the same thing. The vet says that due to the dry summer here in Indiana, this is the worst year for dry skin especially in labs. Use a good medicated dog shampoo and then a cream rinse, it will make things a lot better.

14. Harold T. Pack

Harold T. Pack Member

Our lab had the same condition. Feed him lamb with rice dog food with some canola oil added and the condition will go away.
    Keep Your Head Down and Follow Through,

Harold T. Pack

15. redbone99

redbone99 Member

My Redbone is an inside dog and has no fleas but scratches himself raw. Had him to vet and get sprays and shampoo. These help but don't cure it. I've been feeding him Alpo canned food mixed with beneful for yrs. I stopped at Tractor supply and got a bag of Taste of Wild to try. The vet had mentioned a possibility of alergy to food. Sounds like there are quite a few dogs with this problem.I had just changed him over to I'ams back a year or two ago and then they came out with the recall with food with glutten or whatever from China and I'ams was on that list so I went back to Purina. I guess you don't always get what you pay for! The I'ams was higher priced and used the crap from China. Dave

16. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

capsule of vitamin E on the food 1 time daily. Notice results within a 3-4 weeks.

17. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Thanks for your ideas people, certainly appreciate it!!! Jim

18. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

Folks are on the right track. Not all dog food is the same. The big Name Brands are the worst in most cases. It's easy to look up ratings on the web.
    But Canadie, Blue Buffalo, and Wellness are some of the better food.

We almost lost our Lab/Shepard mix when she developed a liver problem from dog food at 8 years old. We switched and she lived to 13. Our new daughter has had nothing but the best since she came here.

Many dog food brands are actually buying euthanized dogs and cats to include in their dog food for PROTIEN! The drugs used to euthanize them are then recycled BACK into dog food!

http://www.petcaretips.net/euthanized_pets.html

http://www.critterminute.com/aafco-admits-to-euthanized-pets-in-pet-food/

http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Your-Dog-Food-Include-Euthanized-Dogs?&id=507228

As others have said corn, glutten and many other harmful things are being feed to dog in name brand dog food.

Also, rememeber when you change dog food to high protien, and proper diet, your dogs "system" may need to adjust. Many popular brands also include STOOL hardener to "mask" their foods issues! Removing that hardener and high protien diet may have an "affect."

19. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I found that raw eggs help. I get the expired for nothing and about 3 per dog a week and it stopped them from most of the scratches maybe more would do but they are on a SEE FOOD diet so try to limet how many they get

20. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Well my 13 year old Lab has no itching problems but has benefited from this thread. At the breeders advice we started out and have kept feeding our guy Pro Plan food all his life. After going to the site in sue's posting we found it is not very good food. After a day or 2 of research we wound up in a Pet Valu store near by. Still undecided we talked with the guy in the store (he seemed quite well informed) and he recommended their brand Performatrin. Reading the labels it was the same as some of the brands Sue listed. So we got a bag of Large Breed Senior formula.

When we got home I hand fed him some to see his reaction, he went nuts! Also looked on the site listed above and it ranked with 4 stars compared to ProPlans 1 star. At the advice of the guy in the store we are mixing the old with the new for the first week so his system can adjust to the higher protein diet with out side effects. Reading more over the weekend users have seen good results so we'll see. Thanks for the education on dog food!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.