1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Dillon SL900

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by az outlaw, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

Steve, Thank you so much for putting this thread on here. I have recently found the same press setup like you have with 20 gauge and 12 gauge setups for $850.00 but have been a mec man for all my life but the more i think about it the more i think i will make the switch all the reviews i have gotten are that the dillon is the way to go. THANK YOU,

Mark Williams

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm glad you finally got your issues worked out. I've loaded on a friends manual Spolar, and I have a electric PW 800+. Prior to owning my two Dillon's I loaded on Mec's and had a 366 for a while. From much experience, nothing I mean nothing loads faster than a Dillon. It's so fast, once you get the rhythm right, it seems like all you load is components into the machine.

3. APrice

APrice Active Member

All that speed is negated by waiting for the new parts to arrive.

4. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

"All that speed is negated by waiting for the new parts to arrive."

Doubtful! Tell 'em you need them ASAP and the few times they've had to send me parts I've had them within two days max; sometimes next day!

5. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

My experience with the SL900 is very close to Steve's except I have not broken any parts except the primer transfer bar. Not sure what I was doing early on but I broke about 4 of them. Then, all of a sudden, it stopped and I have gone probably 10K rounds since without breaking one. I'm sure it was just me getting use to the machine. Dillon customer service send new ones, no charge. Here in 2 days and since they send an extra one with the machine, I was never down.

I have a PW set up for 20ga and I like it just fine. It makes great ammo.

6. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

I've got over 60K through my early model Dillion and have only replaced a few springs and a wad guide. Rock and Roll.

Maltz

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I f I bought ( anything) that broke that much I would run like a rabbit. I always thought the dillon was a great reliable loader but now I wonder. I shall stick with my PW but if ever I get an urge it will be for a spolar

8. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

these high dollar loaders are really nice.... all of them. glad you like yours and it is working out.

i can buy a good used mec for $300 and it will never break. jam occasionally sure, but never break. You broke the casting on your dillon, based on your post alone i would not buy one. I'm not harrassing or belittling you and I am trying to be as friendly as possible when I say that it sounds like you have had a fair amount of trouble out of yours in only two years. But if I could go spend a few bucks I would like to have a new loader myself. Again, congrats on your good experience.

Paul

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

My first progressive was a dillon. While it loaded a nice looking reload there were some quirks about it I could not get right. I traded it for a P/W 800+ and never looked back. The die system is far superior in my eyes. I added auto case feeder and auto drive and there is only one loader better and it is the new patriot and now I have one of them.

10. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I have had a Dillon SL900 from the time they hit the market and I am still loading on it. The only problems that I have had was a broken primer arm which was my fault and I have replaced the plastic wad guides. I have to say you need to be mechanical minded (it helps) to own one. I had a little problem with the new AA's but after I got it adjusted it was OK. Now it loads everything. I wish they had a 200 primer feed but otherwise it is a great reloader and there service is great although I only had to use it twice.

Dave

11. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

In Dillon's defense, Steve could wear out a bowling ball!! He buys things to use, and use them he does. So, if the Dillon has lasted Steve 2 years, it would last me 20.

All in fun Steve. Keep cranking out the shells!!

Tomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.