1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My Daughter's Want Bow's Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kim Little, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

My Daughter

Thanks to the Hunger Game Trilogy...my daughter's want bows for Christmas. Although I know they would get better performance out of a compound bow and I am not ruling it out. I am confident they would like a long bow. One of them is 5'11 the other is 5'6. One is right handed right eye dominant, the other is left eye dominant, right handed. Both are athletic and competitive. That being said, I could see them competing in this sport. I know absolutely nothing about this sport today. I know the basics thanks to my dad. I am looking for Long Bow recommendations primarily, compound bow secondarly. Also, I am looking for an instructional DVD recommendation. I would prefer to order online. Kim

2. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I am going thru the same thing with daughter. This website brings up some interesting things to consider with growing bodies and stress. We are primarily looking at compound bows, so opposite of what your family is looking at but it has some good information from professionals who recommend certain draw weights, etc...

I have extremely limited knowledge when it comes to longbows, so I won't offer advice on longbows and female youth shooting, however, I have shot compound bows for 30 years. I have shot multiple brands, and like firearms there are plenty of good companies out there, however, I finally (LOL) jumped on the Matthews band wagon last year and am extremely pleased to have done so...

If no longbow experts answer you on here, maybe check out a few local pro shops and get some different opinions. Ultimately your girls are going to have to actually get measured and actually shoot some different bows to find out what they like best.

3. ORG

ORG Member

It depends on what your daughters want to do with their bows. Is it target shooting, hunting, etc? That answer can really help determine what bow they should get. If it is target shooting, I would recommend a recurve with less than 40 lbs of pull, more like 28 lbs. of pull. They don't need to shoot targets fast, they need to shoot them accurately. Longbows are by nature harder to shoot than compounds and recurves. True longbows shoot off the top of your fist. I have shot all three, and "went back" to a recurve. Go to a good archery shop that carries all three types of bows, not one that only carries compounds. They can help you with a lot of your questions.

4. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Hmmmm I will attempt to contact a local shop and see what I can work out. I really want something for under the tree. Maybe they can advise me how to measure them. Thanks, Kim

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

There is a big difference in shooting technique between the compound and recurve/long bows. Drawing a compound bow, you tend to draw the bow, and then get to the target, because of longer hold times. Also, drawing a bow from a slightly elevated position tends to be easier because you are using bigger, and more muscle groups in the back to draw. Drawing a recurve/long bow you tend to be mostly on target during the draw, because the hold time is generally much less, because of no relief, and actually greater strength needed to hold at locking point. This makes it much harder to be accurate. When starting out, in order to keep them from being discouraged, and allow them to hold the draw, creating more accuracy, I would start with the compound, IMO. Plus, it allows them to build up strength in those muscles, to then allow them to move to a recurve/long bow, when they want to move to the more nostalgic bows.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Kim,

I assume when you say "Longbow," you really mean "Recurve" bow?

Consult with your archery pro shop, but take them with a grain of salt, too. Many are strictly compound-oriented and may not be aligned with your interests. Try to get in touch with someone with an established record as a coach.

For my two cents, I recommend you start them with a VERY LIGHT recurve bow (talking 20-25 pound range max. to start) that has been measured and carefully fitted to each of them. One of the biggest skills in archery is developing a clean manual release, and they will find the recurve a little more forgiving for this than a compound, whose let-off actually makes it harder to release a string manually in the proper way. (I'm guessing you don't want them to become a compound-release shooter right off the bat, with no clue how to cleanly release a string manually - and mechanical releases are also a disaster waiting to happen for beginners).

Your dad probably already covered this, but don't concentrate on shooting targets too much at first. Get them some elastic strength bands to train with in learning proper form and developing their archery muscles. Then, once they're ready to graduate to shooting targets (which kids always do), do it on a blank bale (target with no bullseye). Focus on looking at their groups and analyzing it against their shooting form.

Good luck! This is a great sport for kids.

7. ark1stclass

ark1stclass TS Member

Matthews Genisis. They are used all over the country for NASP - National Archery in the Schools Program.

A variable up to 20 or 25 (Gensis Pro)pound pull, any draw legnth bow.

http://mathewsinc.com/product/genesis/

I am a NASP certified coach. ANyone from 8 to 88 can shoot these! The school has had some for 3 years, hundreds of thousands of shots!!!

Check out http://archeryintheschools.org/activea.asp

Jim

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Longbow

grntitan_2009_2503430.jpg

Recurve

grntitan_2009_2503431.jpg

The Mathews Genesis mentioned above is a great starter bow. Started my oldest son on one of those when he was younger. Made for an easy transition to a full blown compound bow as he got older. They come in a bunch of colors and are adjustable for different sized shooters. It's pictured below.

grntitan_2009_2503432.jpg

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What buzz-gun says. If you want them to lose interest in a hurry get them a high poundage bow that is agony every time they pull it.

10. RayReys

RayReys Member

I bought my kid sisters a few PSE snake recurve bows (22lbs, 60") Less than a year ago as belated Cristmas presents- they liked them, although they haven't shot them in a long time - they were 40 bucks each and seemed like a low cost way to get them started. PSE also has some competition recurves starter models

11. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Check with your local archery dealer. Stay away from Cabelas and Bass pro. Some of their sales help are less knowledgable than a true archery pro shop. Check with local arhery club our your state archery club to either find a coach or a program to get your kids involved. Shooting archery or Clay targets doesn't matter, they will be shooting something.

I am affiliated with St. Louis Bowhunters and their youth program, Little Hills Youth Archery. We have about 80 kids in 4, 90 minute sessions every Saturday in October, December and January. We saw a huge jump in girls attending this year probably as you say, due to the "Hunger Games" book and movie.

You can pick up a nice recurve for any size shooter for about $125 or less and I would highly reccommend the Genesis mentioned above. This bow will adjust and grow with a child thru adulthood.

12. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Kim,

Check out the 'National Archery in the Schools' Program. The National Archery in the Schools Program promotes international-style target archery as part of the in-school curriculum, to improve educational performance and participation in the shooting sports among students in grades 4-12.

Good luck!

LA in MA

13. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Thank you everyone. Your suggestions have been very helpful :) I'm ordering a big round bale today and going to focus on the bands the next couple weeks. Going to a local shop Thursday. I'm really glad I asked. There is a lot to consider. Kim

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Kim,

Depending on how hard the bow shoots, a hay or straw bale may not be adequate. My Hoyt compound bow will blow clean thru a couple square bales and bury so deep in a round bale you can't find the arrow. Even if their bow does not shoot hard you may still consider the following. The bow shops have many small easy to store target cubes and even some bags that work great. Most are less than $50 and will stop anything yet easy to remove the arrow. The bags are made with recycled fabric strips inside. They are usually not heavy and are small enough to store nicely in your garage or basement. You may want to give that a thought.

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Best recurve on the market................go to Blackwidow.com.Check it out...........I don't know if they have starter bows,or not.Great bows.

D.P.Reynolds

16. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kim---Go to the NFAA website and find a certified instructor in your area. NFAA--National Field Archers Association--Has many nationally certified instructors and coaches. The stretch bands are a great way to start training muscles, but you need to have an instructor to start them with basics. I am an NFAA instructor in Ca. I also own a Pro shop and have been shooting archery for almost 60 years.They need to be started right, when they have no bad habits to break. While on the website, you might want to check into the JOAD program which is a youth program.
    Bill Hom
    B&K Archery service
    Chico, Ca.
    530-342-0110

17. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I didn't think about the arrows disappearing in the round bale, but I think you might be right. I'll grab a square bale at Southern States. I was thinking about them missing the target and losing it in our woods??Going to check out those schools Bill. Thanks. Kim

18. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kim, it will take a lot heavier bow than your girls will shoot to shoot through the round foam or Saunders mat targets. Bill Hom

19. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Bill,
    You are an absolute blessing. Thank you for your help. Kim

20. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Kim : Try Lancaster archery. I think they are close to you. Just a suggestion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.