1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My daughter is stuck on a 16 average

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

She is 12, and shoots a 16 average, her score is uaually 16-17 sometimes it will jump to 20 and then fall to a 14, her other team mates are all boys and 2 of them have a 23 avg. and 2 have a 16 like hers, I dont know if I need to take her to a trap coach or wait till the end of the season to see how she finishes. I did just get a Terry Jordan wall chart but havent got a chance to use it yet. When she first started shooting she spent a hour with a coach to get the basic down, gun mount, seeing the target etc.. Now I'm wondering if we need to go again or if she is where she shoud be at this age. thanks!

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I think she is doing just fine for 12. The big thing is keeping her happy and wanting to go shooting. She starts having to go see the coach and dry firing at a chart 1 hr a day her attitude may change, it may not.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

blkcloud, why don't you make sure her gun - and the way she is being told to use it - can do the job asked of it and her? A half-hour at a pattern board off a rest at 13 yards will tell you a lot even if everything is fine. (If you don't have a rest, or are like another here who could not be bothered to move a picnic table to see where his gun shoots, then don't even try any of this. You will just cause more problems than you can solve.)

But if you do it right, you will know where the shot goes when she mounts the gun normally, that the choke tube you are using is tight enough, and last, if she's there when you do it, she will see that the pattern is a lot smaller than she may imagine. Some shooters think "It's a shotgun" and do little more than shoot north, imagining a wide and tall wall of shot which will sweep away anything in the general direction of the target. At the pattern board she will see that it's more like shooting a rifle and may change - and improve - her whole approach to the game.

Good luck,

Neil

4. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Make sure your daughters gun fits her...... have her pattern her gun and make sure it shoots where she is aiming it.She'll do just fine,just make sure her equiptment fits her.........Practice,practice,practice.....
    D.P.Reynolds

5. porky

porky TS Member

You should have her eyes checked in order to rule that out. Most children only go through an eye exam by a nurse at school.

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

It sounds as if there is a lack of consistency in some part of her routine. Does she shoot the same shells and choke every time? Assuming, because of her age, that she does not have a lot of targets shot, it could be her gun mount. That would be the first place I would look. Make sure that she is getting the gun in the same place on her shoulder and her head the same place on the stock every time.

7. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Gun Mount,Gun fit,Eye dominance, all things to check. If she's haven fun fall's in there to,if it becomes work she may not want to do it.

8. pdq

pdq Member

All the above is good info & 4EVRYOUNG mentions eye dominance -- good think to check as Phil Kiner says something like 90% of women are left eye dominant.

Pete

9. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

What is the Gun.....And what are you giving her to shoot in it. I've seen it time and time again.......this guy will buy his kid a "STARTER" gun, some cheap mule-kickin shotgun and then feed it 3 dram shells, (cuz they are cheap) and wonder why the kid finds other ways to amuse their self.

Now if she shoots a nice soft shooter with light 7/8 oz loads, she has other issues like ......let me grow up first dad!!!!!!!!!

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Its a Perazzi mx8 with a soft touch recoil system, shes shooting federal 1 1/8 target loads.
    here are a couple of short videos I took of here shooting last spring. You cant see it but she smashes both targets.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1qhaCee19A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_d6MIUZqZ4

11. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

The first thing is the stock needs to fit so a kid can start with the correct form. I have found the Winchester, low noise and low recoil shell to be a great factory shell for kids. I reload and I load 7/8 oz. of shot at 1000 fps. Most parents buy clothes that fit the kid, and for playing ball they buy kid sized gloves and bats and whatever. But for the kid to shoot they buy grownup size gun and shells. Doesn't make sense to me. Larry

12. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

blkcloud: Everything posted above is true and could be considered, but I would also suggest that after you are satisfied with the patterning board results, I would go out to the club when you can get it to yourself. Lock down the machine and have her work on sight picture on straight-aways to find out where she should be shooting to get smoked targets. Then have her move to station 1 and 5 and she will be praciticing quartering targets. Then move the machine to hard rights or lefts and shoot from the appropriate "hard" station. This should get her a good session to get the picture and feel of where she should be shooting (vertical and horiz) for each target. Then unlock the machine to remove any "cheater" habits that might be sneaking in since she knows where the target is going.
    My wife hated this drill because it wasn't fun like just shooting rounds. I pushed the use of it and she won her league last year. I don't get so much lip about it anymore.
    Dennis

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If your daughter is having fun and not distressed with her scores then let it go. If she really wants to get serious about the game then line up a coaching session with a respected professional. What ever you do, make sure it is for her benefit and not yours.

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

+1 what Neil said.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Fit, impact and eye dominance-especially if she's attempting to be a two eyed shooter!!

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Her stock looks to be a little too long for her according to her trigger hand position? Wally world Feds are kinda stout too in 1-1/8th ounce!! A shorter stock and 1 ounce of 8s at 1200 will have a lot less recoil and break clays with authority too! Jerry Parr broke his first 100 straight from the 27 with the loads she's now using, I don't think your daughter needs that kind of horsepower for the 16 yard line? I'd bet her scores and consistency would increase with those two modifications alone!!

Hap

17. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

If she is shooting with both eyes (and from the video it looks like she is) she is cross-firing. If she is shooting with one she is peeking with the off eye.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would congratulate her on her find shooting and ask if you can do anything to help her. I would also read the post by Phil K. three times. Understand what he said and have a roll of tape handy. Tell her you talked to one of the very best shooters in the ATA and he wanted you to try something.

Pat Ireland

19. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

In the back of my mind I have been thinking it may be the cross firing, I will try the tape on the next practice, I make sure she has fun, never try to pressure her to do better or shoot more than she feels like.. she really enjoys it and has a goal of making it to the Olympics.. Hap, she has a soft touch recoil system the gun has no recoil at all, last year she shot a citori 20, when she shot this gun for the first time her exact words were..this gun doesnt have any power...hahaha..thats how I knew it was working.. thanks for your ideas!!

20. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

blkcloud-- check your PM's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.