1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My dad things for my sons

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CalvinMD, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very neat,..thanks for sharing and to your dad for serving..hes definantly one of the last of a great generation thats numbers dwindle more every day

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Young men fight wars, always have. I went to Vietnam at 18. And the only things I brought back were my Helmet cover and Flack Jacket. I guess as a reminder of my adventure. I didn't think anyone else would want them. Be thankful you have something from your fathers adventure to pass on. Most people brought nothing back.

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Shot410, I also brought nothing back from Nam except a pair of tiger fatigues and a velvet painting (LOL). Had an AK that I picked up after a firefight but they wouldn't let me bring it back without applying for some kind of permit that had to first go through some bureaucratic process that I had no time for.

I have very little from my father and grandfather who also served in combat, so you are correct in saying that personal war memorabilia is often very scarce. I think most combat vets have little interest in bringing back reminders of where they've been and what they did and saw.

Some years ago I built shadow boxes with pictures and medals for the three of us. They look nice on the wall of my gun room.

Welcome home brother.

Dave

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Cherish those items. I gave my Son my Dog Tags, Vietnam Medals including Purple Heart with device, CIB Badge etc. To this day he wears the sterling ID bracelet that has the Army insignia that belonged to my Father during WWII. Never forget!

blade819

5. capulona

capulona TS Member

Thanks you for sharing, Copper.

My advise would be to have the paper documents scanned, so you will always have electronic copies in case they deteriorate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.