1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MY CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP SHOOT COMING SOON!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    one of the gun clubs that i belong to is having their club championship shoot this weekend. i love this shoot. i get to meet shooting friends that come out only once per year for this shoot. the herd is thining out, each year more of my shooting friends pass away. something that i always thought was strange, when a shooter passes away, i never here shooters say " how is his family doing? it is usually" does he have any guns for sale" or who is going to sell them? i know a guy who went to a shooters wake, just to ask his wife for his reloader! i don't know about other clubs, but at most clubs i belong to, there are usualy 10 shooters for the most part that always win. even in my state of wisconsin, i would say are about 20 shooters who have a realistic chance of making the state trap team. regardless, i will shoot, but don't have a chance in hell to win. it is nice to see everyone though. at your club championship shoot, is it usually the same people winning each year?
    steve balistreri

2. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Part of what you said is a sad but true commentary on gun lust, or rather, the insatiatable quest for a very low price on a gun or accessory. Who cares if they need it or not - typically stolen from an old shooter who is senile or out-of-the-pricing-loop as well as from an estate. And it is THEFT, just as clearly as it would be having a widow sign over the deed to her farm for groceries because she can't find where grandpa buried the loot.

I've seen this at my club too, so-called friends and acquaintances turn into vultures at the worst possible time at the first moment of opportunity to screw some 'innocent' out of a valuable shotgun for pennies on the dollar. "Components" are the latest prey of the estate vultures out here. I have heard a handful of boastful stories already and they are nausaeating.

"I got a whole truckfull of _________, with __________, and ____________, all for 100 bucks!" "I got a Pre-64, with scope and hard case blah, blah,..... or his engraved such-and-such, 20 cases of .28 gauge AA's and all of his old suits and underwear for $75 bucks." He ought to be hung at dusk, and the stuff returned to the deceased's family, with regrets.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Does it happen - yes, but I also have seen great gestures of righteousness - one day during a swap meet a widow had give a friend components to sell on her behalf. The deceased had hid $1800 in a powder canister that now held primers - found by a guest to the meet... The widow ended up with that and a lot more, but unfortunately getting rarer all the time.

We have our Sportsman's Cup which is based upon point standings from our league events, based upon finishing position (similar to Nascar). We also have our annual Steel Handicap Challenge and Turkey Shoot (one day events). The leagues offer class standings and prizes, but the Cup will go to the top guys - and there are only a few who will really compete for the Cup, but the sub event classes can be won by any number of entrants, so our participation is strong throughout the year.

Good Luck on your Championship Shoot,

Jay

4. clays@wis

clays@wis TS Member

Steve,
    You do not need to shoot well to win at our club shoot ---we are giving away over $1,500 in door prizes to those that participate for more info see the Waukesha Gun Club thread on this forum or go to
    http://waukeshagunclub.org for more info--
    memberships are stillonly $35 per year--$25 for seniors

Hope to see you Sat and Sun
    Pat Gerbensky --Club President

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Pat- that is good to know. hope to see you this weekend.
    steve balistreri

spitter- that is nice to hear, i hope that would be the norm. i do believe that most people are good and will do the right thing.
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.