1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My cholesterol is 160, blood glucose is 99...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ysr_racer, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

My cholesterol is 160, blood glucose is 99, and triglycerides are 130 !!!

That all beer, pizza, wings & cigar regimen is really working out well :)

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Don't kid yourself.

-Gary

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

How many hours were you fasting before you had your blood drawn?

A lot of folks would be delighted to have those numbers. Are you on any cholesterol lowering drugs?

Bob Falfa

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good numbers but maybe meaningless. You also need to know your HDL & LDL. Do you have family history of early coronary artery disease? And that cigar regimen won't show on any test except a biopsy. Sorry.

5. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>>How many hours were you fasting before you had your blood drawn?

Had it drawn at 8:00am in the morning. So 12 hours.

>>A lot of folks would be delighted to have those numbers.

Agreed, I am

>>Are you on any cholesterol lowering drugs?

No

>>And that cigar regimen won't show on any test except a biopsy. Sorry.

News flash, everybody dies. There'd be no place left to park if they didn't.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

My cholesterol was 130 when I was 40 and had a heart attack.

"News flash, everybody dies. There'd be no place left to park if they didn't."

The joking attitude usually goes away when your the one laying in the emergency room and hearing the alarms go off when your heart beat drops to 20 bpm every so often for 4 1/2 hours. But it does get you a lot of attention from the staff

All the numbers mean is your diet is ok for the moment.

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have a similar story as likes to shoot. The day of my first heart attack my cholesterol was 122, perfect number even for a college athlete. I have had 5 heart attacks since Jan 2012. Trim off some weight, eat mostly vegetables and rice and know that you better plan accordingly for what comes after your last heartbeat.

8. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Be specific, Bradley: Total cholesterol? HDL? LDL? RATIO? VLDL?

You need to do a Google search!

9. stokinpls

About 40 mg of Crestor a day will likely get your total cholesterol down below 100, if that's what you need/want. That way you can double up on the pizza. ;-)

Bob Falfa

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

It took a five way bypass for me to find out that the most important numbers are the one from an EKG. Heart and artery disease is very curable, but you have to know that it is there. I never had bad numbers or any chest pain. I asked for a treadmill ekg when I turned fifty, and that's when the s*** hit the fan. Feeling great now and my cardiologist watches me closely. Numbers are very important, especially hdl .Watch the unusual jaw or back pain, too.
    Bill in northern MI

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>>Be specific, Bradley: Total cholesterol? HDL? LDL? RATIO? VLDL?

I left the numbers at work, I'll post them on Monday

>>About 40 mg of Crestor a day will likely get your total cholesterol down below 100, if that's what you need/want.

No med's for me :)

>>The joking attitude usually goes away when your the one laying in the emergency room...

Laugh or cry, everybody dies at some point. Get out and live your life while you can because one day too late is TOO LATE

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think your genetic makeup has more to do with heart failure, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and other age related problems. Those numbers definitely help though. Although I think worrying all the time, or stress does just as much damage. Does not take much to change your diet, and habits to get the numbers going in the right direction. A little walk in the morning don't hurt either. The hardest part is starting the change. After that it becomes routine. Just like trapshooting. LOL

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

stokinpls ... just remember ... getting your cholesterol below 100 is asking for big trouble!

Your body needs cholesterol ... but ... too little can be as bad as too much!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol-level/AN01394

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/09/what-happens-when-your-cholesterol-goes-too-low.aspx

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199707/is-too-little-cholesterol-bad-you

14. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Approximately 50% of all heart attacks occur in people with NO warning signs. No cholestorol, triglycerides, blood pressure, or any other numbers in or approaching danger range.

The alcohol, fats, and smoking are all good indicators of a potential cardiac event sometime in the future, but if ysr isn't worried about it, then why should we? If she's smart, his wife will insure him to the hilt.

As a side note, I read some time back about the requirements to become a fighter pilot nowadays, and how many otherwise excellant candidates wash out for medical reasons. One of the most common reasons was heart damage, in apparently healthy young pilots. It seems that many of us have had extremely minor heart attacks at some point in our lives, without knowing it, and the medical tests run by the pilot recruit surgeons turn up surprising numbers. This isn't the kind of damage found in old guys with big bellies and high HDL who have had a huge jammer, but just a little patch of dammaged tissue from an unnoticed little event.

Another strange fact I found while researching cholesterol was that stress elevates your cholesterol. This was confirmed by my brother-in-laws doctor, when he had his annual work physical. As the dog handler for the police force, he was included in ALL the heavyweight calls; the armed robberies, assaults, domestic violence, etc. His medical was scheduled for the last day of his shift, and his cholesterol was off the charts. His doctor freaked out, because a young, fit, otherwise healthy guy shouldn't have numbers that high. My brother-in-law went on a three week holiday right after his medical, and saw his doctor to be retested when he got back. His numbers were on the low end of normal. He went for retesting a month later, after a series of long, stress-filled shifts, and his numbers were again off the charts. A longterm study was released about this time, concentrating on individuals in high stress jobs, like police and fire fighters, and it found that the stress of the job elevated cholesterol, while during time off it decreased.

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

You cannot change your family history but you can change your lifestyle. Exercise regularly, eat sensibly, avoid smoking, and get regular checkups. Enjoy life.

16. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

"Get out and live your life while you can because one day too late is TOO LATE"

Or possibly just the start of the next.

There are LOTS of things in life worse than dying however, like a major stroke and the rest of 'life' is no life at all. No thanks for me, I'll do what I can, and my wife knows what to do and say if it happens "Thank you but no."

17. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I heard a comedian on TV say "I feel sorry for those health food/vegetarian types. They will sure feel stupid, lying there in the hospital, dying of nothing!"

18. stokinpls

We're all saved!

Bob Falfa

19. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Here are the rest of my numbers:

HDL 55

LDL 79

CHOL/HDLC Ratio 2.9

GLUCOSE 99

PSA 1.8