1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My BT-100 is NOT Tight anymore, what gives?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I've had my BT-100 for about 5-6 years, but very recently the gun stopped being Tight like it was when newer. It has approx 3,000 rounds through it (give or take, I don't keep track). Before, the gun was noticeably tight and required a bit of effort to close, but now it's like a well oiled door hinge that swings closed with the lightest touch. The lever is still well right of center, but I don't get it.

Is this normal or do I need to get it checked out?

2. d endicott

d endicott Member

Normal...take it to a gunsmith and have him put new spring in it and you will have a new Tight gun.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

the curved surfaces where the forend iron mates with the receiver have worn in. It's normal. If you need to feel it tighten up, put a piece of shim stock in the forend iron so it bears on the barrel tang and forces the surfaces together more firmly.

I do not advise this. It's just a fact of life. In fact, with new guns, it's sometimes advisable to fit the tang/iron junction so you don't gall the mating surfaces.

I bought a 4 barrel skeet set years ago, and the .410 barrel was atrociously hard to open. Out came the #6 file, and all was well.

There were some threads on this a year or so ago.

HM

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I don't really care that it doesn't feel tight anymore...I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a maintenance issue where I needed to do something. If it's normal then I'm fine with it.

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Kind of like wives and girl friends; when they are young, they are fairly tight. But after some use, well, you know how THAT goes!

AndyH ;-)

6. BMC

BMC Member

vpr, my BT100 is loose like it has buttered hinges and closes perfectly. Once it went loose, the looseness of it didnt' get "more loose".

7. halfmile

When the lever gets too far left it might come open on firing. This is after it gets past center.

It would then be time to get a new lug. Not a big deal either.

HM

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The spot where halfmile said to put the shim is probably worn instead of the receiver area. Where the forend iron butts against the barrel tang has very little surface area and wears easily. Be sure to lube this spot every time the gun is assembled. The end of the forend iron can be welded up and refitted.

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

approx how many shots does it take for the lever to get to center? and is that considered it's "useful" life for regular and consistent use?

10. halfmile

How much wear happens in that area is probably dependent on how clean it's kept, proper lubrication, etc. Every time the gun locks up the lug goes into the recess, and contamination there will create microns of extra wear.

It's always able to be reconditioned so should not be an issue. I have seen some of these guns in horrible shape, still functioning. Shoot away, and worry about it when the time comes.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.