1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My brand new broken gun.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by huntinandhotrods, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I have been wanting to buy a new sporting clays gun for a while now. I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for one since I don't shoot sporting clays that often. I posted a thread earlier asking for opinions between a new Winchester select energy sporting made in Belgium or a Browning white lightning since they were both in my price range and they both take invector plus chokes which I already have a lot of. I took everyone's advise and went with the select energy sporting which I ordered a brand new one for a really good price. I took it to shoot it yesterday for the first time and on the 5th shot the ejector on the top barrel snapped off like a toothpick. I was dumb founded. I was using factory target loads and there was nothing obstructing it. To the best of my knowledge it was just a bad manufactured ejector. Just my luck I guess. I call Winchester and naturally they said I had to send it to them which I did last night at a cost of $50. They are also telling me at least 5 weeks before I get it back but probably more like 7 weeks. Just my luck I guess. I could fall into a barrel full of boobies and come up sucking my thumb. Sorry had to vent! Huntinandhotrods

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Don't sweat it, stuff breaks sometimes.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Stuff happens, it sucks, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would see if they'll refund you the $50 though, you shouldn't be responsible for shipping costs to return a brand new gun.

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

How did the round go other then that??

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Poor Huntin :) I thought your last sentence was the best part of the story. That is tough luck!

6. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

Big companies! You never feel they take responsibility or expidite for a screw up that cost you time in your sport etc..

I shoot a Ljutic now. I keep looking at other guns, but can't bring myself to change. If something like this happened out of the box for them you would have a case of shells on your doorstop next to your very own barrel full of boobies complimants of Ljutic!

7. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

I had a problem with my brand new Blaser. They sent UPS to pick up the gun for me at no cost. If you have had the gun for a while then I would be fine paying the shipping. If the gun is brand new then you shouldnt have to pay anything. Tell them to include a gift card/voucher for a case of shells when they send the gun back.

8. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

Sorry to hear that. I have the select energy trap, and I love it. My second time to the club and I had to ship it to their service department in Arnold mo. Good luck with that they had the gun two months before even looking at it. It was very aggrevating but since then many rounds with out a problem. Hope you have better luck...

P.S. Don't count on them paying for anything.

George

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They must have a lot of guns to look at. HMB

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Is the Winchester Select Energy in any way similar to the Browning Cynergy? I bought a new Cynergy Field and the shotgun when put together would not close. It was a new out of the box shotgun. I happened to be going by Midwest Gun Works to get some work done on an older Browning and took the Cynergy with me. They took a look at the gun, told me to go eat lunch and come back later. When I got back they had fixed the problem. Apparently the ejectors, etc. had not been properly tightened in assembly at the factory. I took the Cynergy with me and it has worked fine since.

11. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Winchester Select Energy. I think I would have just asked Winchester to send me a new ejector and I would install it myself.

If they wouldn't do that, I'd just buy one and install it myself. Surely it couldn't cost $50 and you wouldn't have to be without your gun.

Of course, this assumes that I could install it myself which I'm not really certain of since I'm not familiar with the Winchester SE, but unless it takes some sophisticated equipment, I think I could probably install a new ejector.

Good luck.

Easystreet

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd suggest bitching on TS.com for 5-7 weeks about it..

13. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Easystreet - I was pretty pissed about the whole thing and my only thought was to get them the gun right away so I could get it back sooner. After I sent it out last night, I had the same thought as you and am now kicking myself for not thinking of that sooner. Live and learn!

Pointer - I thinking of buying a Ljutic and breaking it on purpose just to get the barrel full!

Huntinandhotrods

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Select Energy is a great gun for the money, but it is a discontinued model,
    and Winchester isn't any worse than Beretta in dealing with customers.
    Blaser on the other hand sells $ 7500 shotguns and they can afford to pick
    up $50 shipping and even hold your hand if you want.
    I know of three people with Select Energy and none of them have had any problems. Yours was just bad luck.

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Sorry you had a problem with your new gun. That would be terribly frustrating! I bought a new Winchester Select Energy Trap a year ago and have not a single problem with it. Ran fifty rounds through it today and it worked like a sewing machine. Sorry about yours. Jack

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I am just about convinced that Winchester Select Energys are just plain garbage. Broken forends, broken ejectors, shells not going bang - it's getting to be a joke. I've seen more problems with these guns at the range than Brownings, despite Brownings outnumbering them 200-to-1.

Into my black book it goes. I'd buy a Stoeger first.

-Gary

17. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I recently had a new gun broken safety problem with a Ruger Red Label which I purchased for sporting clays and skeet. Followed the shipping instructions back to Ruger. They corrected the problem and disconnected the automatic safety at my request for free (normally a $75 charge). Shipped it back in perfect operating condition in less than 3 weeks. Regards, Ed

18. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Select Energy was never a highly regarded gun. I believe it
    was made in Italy but I don't know who the manufacturer was.
    A friend of mine bought one at the close out price of $950.00
    It broke a firing pin at about 400 rounds. Steel hulled cases
    would stick in the chamber. He sold it for $800.00 and was
    glad to get rid of it.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Advice for next time;..put a bandaid on your forehead and say their defective part assaulted you after departing said firearm...bet you would get it back fast n free

20. Skeety7

Skeety7 Member

If you ever have this problem again ask them for a UPS call slip.They will send you one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.