1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My brakes squell????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    For the past couple of weeks my wife says that the brakes on the drivers side of our car sometime sqeek, and or, she can occasionally hear a brake indicator. With all the years of shooting, I hear nothing.

She is very frustrated that I can not hear the squell, as she said I can hear a quarter drop and hit the floor on the other side of the club house. With that being said, after school yesterday, I took the car to a mechanic and he test drove the car, checked the brakes, and he said the brakes look good. They are nice and high and seem to have no problems.

Today, I took the car to school, and my passenger now has also heard the squeel. Any idea what it could be, as it doesn't squeel all the time? The brake indicator noise only happened twice my wife said.
    Steve Balistreri

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The pads have probably glazed over from being hot and then cooled quickly likely from driving thru water. Likely driven thru rain or snow after they were hot.

Also make sure the mechanic checked the emergency brake shoes. The parts can become rusty from lack of use and actually start dragging. This happens most often in automatic transmission vehicles. I have seen them become incrusted and build up to the point of almost locking the wheel.

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Is this a rear wheel drive car? If it is,check the wheel bearings you may have one going bad.Just a thought.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Could also be a U joint on the drive shaft going

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Daughter had a noise from the front wheel on her car. From the way she described it, "kind of a high pitched shriek" I figured it was a brake problem. Told her to take it to a garage to have the brakes checked. She didn't "get around to it since I didn't have time" and then she was driving it when the "shriek" became continuous and she started smelling a burning smell and a hard pull to the left.

Well, she then had time for the tow truck to come and drag her car to a garage!

It was not a brake problem but a totally seized front wheel bearing. Ended up having to replace just about everything, bearing, axle and rotor and pads. The brake parts were getting close to being shot so when everything else was being done figured might as well do them also.

Not to long after that, the transaxle (isn't that what they call the transmission on a front wheel drive car?) went bad. I don't know for sure but it just might be possible that "not having the time" to get the bearing fixed may have stressed the tranny to where it failed not too long after.

Incidentally, in case anyone remembers, this is NOT the daughter with the car trouble in Florida. This one is in Pittsburgh.

6. senior smoke

After what you guys wrote, I made an appointment for Friday after school at a dealer to take a look.
    Steve

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What does a squell sound like? Anything like a squeal? Just wondering.

GneJ

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Assuming it is a fairly modern car with disc brakes, there is a small piece of sheet metal attached to the brake pad. As the pad wears that piece of thin sheet metal contacts the brake rotor making a noise to warn you it's time to replace the brakes. You can ignore it until the pad wears out and you have a metal to metal situation where the brake pad backer wears away the brake rotor, but that can get much more expensive.

[​IMG]

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I had a girlfriend once who used to squeal sometimes when I had a good night--ahh the good old days!

The metallic backing plates of disk pads sometimes resonate with the caliper producing a squeal when the brake pedal is applied. If all the rest of the system checks out ok, this is no problem other than the noise.

There are compounds avail one can apply to the backing plates that has some effectiveness, but not always.

Guy Babin

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's most likely a bad muffler bearing or a clogged kanuter valve.

-Gary

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

didlin pin aint connected to the wobblin rod!Jeff

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Gary don't forget the turbo-encabulator.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Stop fooling around, I'm trying to help a poor college student.

-Gary

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

SBE,

That's "Magna Turbulator". They are a PITA to change too.

15. quartering

quartering Active Member

my suv had metallic pads that kept the front wheels, rhymes with squeels, dirty all the time. i read about ceramic pads and how they don't dust like the metallics do so i put them on. guess what, they don't dust, but they squell all the time. you can't substitute ceramic pads for metallic pads on a car that wasn't designed for them or they'll squeel every time you touch the brakes. but my wheels stay clean. good luck with it

16. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

NEED SOME GOOD OLD ASBESTOS!

17. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Whenever you have the pads replaced go ahead and spring for rotors and only use pads of the brand that came on your car. (AC Delco for GM, ETC.) I've done quite a few brake jobs and almost everything said here is true. Metallic's squeak and prematurely wear out rotors, ceramics squeak, wheel bearings squeak and worn pads squeak from the sensors. I've tried all of them and nothing works better than factory pads, at least in my experience.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

On the back of the pad ( disc brakes) most of the mfg's use an insulator to stop the squeal. Yours may have worn off. It is meant to insulate between the caliper housing and the meatl part of the brake pad.

19. senior smoke

I will let you know what the dealer says.
    Steve

20. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Could it be NAPA pads or shoes??? Bad reputation for squeaks.

I retired from there after 11yrs. but as a lot of mechanics said, "Your Brakes Suck".

Regards....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.