1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My boy got a strange gift for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 9, 2017.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I grew up in a family of hard working people and they valued every dollar they earned. The joke was that my dad threw nickles around like man hole covers. When he purchased our first home he paid $8,000.00 in cash. He brought the cash and coin into the bank in a shoe box and was 5 cents short. The officer of the bank said he would just throw the nickel in and my dad refused and went home and brought back the nickel.

With that being said, my son and his wife live in Stockholm Sweden as he married a gal from Sweden. Her parents are very well to do and for Christmas her father gave my son and his wife a set of Japanese knives called Kami Koto Senshi knifes?

Supposedly these knives are thousands of dollars? I'd be the first to admit that I am a cheap Ham n Egger. The only good knife I ever purchased was late at night watching television when some Japanese man was selling the "Ginsu knife".

That knife can cut through cans, bricks, trees, you name it, it can cut it. I purchased that knife in the early 80's I think for $5.00 or $10.00 which I thought I actually over spent money on it?

I told my boy and his wife that was a great gift. Truthfully, I can not imagine spending that kind of money on kitchen knifes, but to each his own.

Have any of you ever received some strange Christmas gifts cheap or expensive?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

3. WadHopper

WadHopper That guy's full of crap! TS Supporters

Holy CRAP! Do they come with the chef too?

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

No, but they do come with a Geisha...

WadHopper thanked this.
  5. senior smoke

Nothing will beat the Ginsu knife I purchased.
    Steve

6. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

I remember the Ginsu Knife when they sold those on TV, they had some deal where if you bought 2 or bought within a certain time frame you would get the orange peeler for NO CHARGE or some deal like that....thats a long time ago....

7. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I spent like $80.00 on some steak knives once,, I would never spend that much for a knife set

DGH

8. arrowdodger

arrowdodger Active Member

That would really cut into my savings.

9manfan and WadHopper thanked this.
  9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

One time when Sam's had just opened up my wife and I went there it was back when only businesses were allowed to buy there, I picked up a set of knives like they are the type used in commercial kitchens, they are the best knives I have ever used and hold an edge forever

10. The Greek

The Greek Member

Several years ago a "very" good friend gave me a 23 year old bottle of Pappy Van Winkle whiskey for Christmas, definitely not cheap!!!

11. brettgrant99

brettgrant99 Member

Those are probably some great knives, a great gift. We tend to value what we are interested in. These are probably the equivalent to a nice, handmade gun. One of my other hobbies is sharpening, and it saddens me to see people with nice knives that are dull as bricks. Take your nice Browning, Perazzi, etc, and shoot it, but never maintain it, and allow it to rust when it gets wet. When you drop it and it mars the stock, don't bother to repair it. I have seen that with some nice knives.

Also, many people have never used a truly sharp knife. A professional chef will sharpen their knives each day. Does that sound familiar to how fanatic we are toward shooting and cleaning? It does to me.

How many people not in the sport drop their jaws when you tell them how much you spent on a O/U?

To answer the original poster's, one of the weirdest gifts that I received was from my Grandparents when I was 6 or 7. It was a 34 foot yacht. The yacht itself was plastic, about eight inches long. It was on 34 individual feet. It was a very odd gift, not good for anything other than the initial gag of taking it out of the box.

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Everything I ever got from my mother in law was weird and cheap and probably came from a garage sale... NO LIE....and if it was clothing it didn't fit.

13. jroccasano

jroccasano Member

Most unusual gift was shish-ka-poop. Dried and varnished Reindeer poop on a stick.

14. senior smoke

9manfan:
    I was never given an orange peeler. The Ginsu if memory served me correctly had a life time warranty.
    Steve

15. senior smoke

jroccasano:
    That just might be the strangest gift anyone ever received.
    Steve

16. senior smoke

ljutic73:
    Every year my mother in law would give me a sweater , size XL. Every year I told her I was a 3XL. She's no longer with us, but in all honesty I wish she was still here giving me those small XL sweaters.
    Steve

Mka2278 thanked this.
  17. JPM

JPM Active Member

I bought three of those Ginsu knives about 20 years ago. Gave two to daughters and kept one. All three are still in use. JPM

18. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

A ginsu knife is about the same quality as a Remington 870 express . Not pretty but it will work. Why do people buy a Perazzi, Kolar, Kreighof, Silver Seitz? Because they like quality and fit. Why do people buy a Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari? Same reason. Why do people pay $400 for a skinning knife? We all like different things and if the folks are wealthy, why does it matter to anyone else. I like good knives. I carry one of my grandfathers pocket knives every day and have my other grandfathers skinning and Bologna knives all are old German knives and are great quality.

19. Glockamole

Glockamole Member

A pretty poor excuse for a gift (so nice I can't even remember what it was) from a sister-in-law that did not bother to remove to gift tag to her from the previous year.

20. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

Maybe her parents are hinting for her to learn to cook.