1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My boy can shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BudsterXT, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

My 12 year old son, Jonathan, has a Winchester Super X1 that grampa gave him. He can't hold it up. My kid is 80 lbs soakin wet. So Grampa builds him a single shot twenty guage.... to get him into the game. This thread involves some reading so bear with me.

I have been drilling holes in clays that we have gathered after trapshootin. I hang them on a bungee cord in the tag alders and have my kid take 5 shots a day at them, and i reload his birds when he breaks em. Just making sure his stance is right and he can handle the gun safely.

After shootin trap the other night at the Sportmans Club in Newberry, Michigan. We start playing a game of "round robin" When it was time for the middle shots we decided it was time for Jonathan to get a few rounds in.

Since we were standing on the top of the trap house, My kid says thats where he wants to shoot.. The guy that got me going good at trap was behind Jon and was coaching him and let him go. First bird went hard right... lil kid nailed it. I had tears in my eyes...

He missed a couple straights but he never quit. My Coach let him go 25 rounds and the Kid hit 19 out of twenty five. Not even a mark on his arm the next day, just a smile on his face.

This Monday he will be in line with us, shooting from the 16 yard line. He told me that he is shooting two rounds so I will keep you updated.

Makes me proud to be a Dad

2. TC

TC TS Member

You should be a proud Dad! Good luck to you and your boy. Tony

3. hoot619

hoot619 Member

It was nice watching both of them. The big smile on my son's face was something to see. Now I will have 2 trying to out shoot me. Can't wait til it happens. The kid already is out fishing me. Says he is weeding out the big ones so I can catch the small ones. I let him know that starting out he will most likely have low scores. He has watched others begin shooting and knows that it takes practice to make the scores go up. I am glad he finally is starting to shoot trap. Proud Grandpa and Dad Ken Uhlbeck

4. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Shot a 19 my first round. It's a great way to start! Hope he sticks with it and you guys can build some memories together...I just need to figure out how to get my dad to shoot!
    -Trappy

5. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Sounds like your'e growing a back fencer!

6. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Jon shot Monday . He is using a real expensive single barrel Trap Gun. I won't say more about his shooting his Dad probably can't wait to get off work and get on here.

I must have all of 75 bucks invested in it. My buddy Art lightened the hammer pull so he can get it cocked. I used chop saw on stock to shorten it.
    added lead to stock and forearm. Jon had me take wt. of front end of forearm -too heavy. Have a slip-on recoil pad and expensive bk. electrical tape to hold it in place. It is a 20 guage Stevens Model 94 with bottom action opening button.

I have more fun watching him shoot and watching his Dad watch him do it. I used to tell him hunting and fishing stories when he was a real little tyke. He out fishes me says he weeds out the big ones.

If you aren't taking your kids or grandkids out hunting or fishing spending time with them you are cheating yourself and them too. It doesn't matter what you do with them. Just do something. Ken U. proud Pa and Grandpa

7. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Ok, Here are the results:

First Round: Kid hit 13 birds

Second Round: Kid hit 12 birds

My First time at trap: First round: 7
    Second round: 8

For him shooting a twenty guage with light loads I think he did an awesome job.

The best part of the day was the the first round since all three of us were on the line together.. Damn should have had a picture taken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.