1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My best friend/shooting buddy calls it quits

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

This came as a surprise to me a couple of days ago and haven't quite come to terms with it. He's sold off most of his guns and loaders and packed what remains away. I've been struggling with this situation since he told me.

ss

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Well did he say why? Do you think he has a legit reason?

Matt

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I didn't ask as that is what I'd consider volunteer info. I figure he'll get around to telling me at some date on down the road.

ss

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Don't need a reason. Sometimes you just get an assfull.

Most people, myself included, will back away to some degree and not put quite as much time into a hobby. but I can see a certain personality type jputting something down completely if your life is too full.

My dentist is an excellent shooter, P gun, Dillon loader, the works.

He hasn't fired a shot in 3 years. Plate too full.

I guess your next move is to simply ask him what's up.

HM

5. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

I quit just about every Sunday afternoon

jpark

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I quit every time I have a bad score..........until the next time I shoot.

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Ask him what he is going to do with all of the money he is saving. That may serve as an ice breaker to get him talking. Ron

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I run into people all the time that I remember seeing out at the clubs over the years, many just cannot afford it anymore and have traded one hobby for another that fits into the budget ... I have been offered some deals on guns that you wouldn't believe, one guy gave me a reloader and I don't even reload, I told him I would sell it for him and give him what ever money I get for it ... The economy is not getting any better and will probably get much worst before its all over so a lot of people are getting prepared for it as best they can ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Trap is an expensive hobby. High costs and the economy have forced a lot of shooters into hiatus.

Angry Club Geezers have also driven countless young shooters out of trap and into sporting clays and other friendlier shooting sports. Shame on us for not policing ourselves better.

-Gary

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I keep hearing about the angry club geezer, or the club officers that scare people away. We have 7-8 local small clubs, and I've not seen those kind of people at any of our clubs.

Most are hardworking types that try to increase shooter numbers.

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

At our club , I have seen about the same amount of shooters slow down as there are new shooters so maybe the whole business will balance out in time . Hope some come back and therefore we will have more income per clubs . The past year was close in income as the year before so the loss of some didn`t have an impact .

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

We are running out of "Angry Club Geezers" but the exodus continues. I'm not sure that wasn't a convienient excuse. Trap is more of a "shut up and shoot" activity. It isn't that much fun if you are missing and no one can/will tell you why. When I see people who look like they are really having fun shooting trap, they are shooting practice and talking to each other. IMHO Ron

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

MOST are good people at every club. It's typically just a handful of uncontrolled curmudgeons that drive-off younger shooters. They often play the "safety" card and nobody has the guts to call BS. I consider it my personal responsibilty to get involved every time I see it happen, and anyone else who cares about the future of trapshooting should do the same.

"SHUT UP AND SHOOT." That's golden. Maybe we should add "... even if you can't hit a bull in the @ss anymore and your weiner has quit working."

-Gary

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

A few years ago my best friend stopped shooting. I go to shoot by myself now and it is not as much fun. We both don't shoot as much as we once did due to cost of shells and other related expenses. Had some great times together, and now on cold windy days when I no longer shoot, I sit back and recall good times and smile and laugh. Everything good comes to an end.
    Steve Balistreri

15. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The secret to enforcing "safety BS" is to keep it from embarrasing the offending "customer". They usually are just unaware of acceptable practices. A smile and an explanation are usually all it takes. Take a page from the auto repair shop and blame it on insurance regulations. Whatever it takes to make it a teachable moment. Ron

16. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

A few years back my brother and I was going all over Ohio to shoot, maybe 3 or 4 times a week. We shot lots of buddies etc. When he quit it is no longer the same either. I still shoot trap but have recently taken up Skeet too and I am enjoying that.
    Don

17. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ron, your suggestion is excellent, and spot-on regarding real safety issues.

But Club Geezers typically do not have real safety issues. They have anger & jealousy issues.

-Gary

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It's a tough deal Short Shucker, I know I've gradually lost shooting buddies until no one is left to travel with, it makes you want to quit too. Just hang in there it will come around.

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Angry club geezers at the link above.

Who wants to go to a club and have these guys waving their flaming hemorrhoids in your face?

20. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

If he hung on to anything trapshooting, he isn't done, especially if he is still on the green side of the grass. Sorry to hear he quit but at least he still is a friend you can visit. count your blessings however small.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.