1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My barrel shoots to flat, need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    i SHOOT A 870 tb, AND MY 16 YARD BARREL HAS A GOOD POI FOR ME AS IT SHOOTS ROUGHLY a 80/20 PATTERN. THIS BARREL HAS 22 THOUSANTS OF CONSTRICTION AND IT INKS 16 YARD TAREGETS. I purchased this barrel years ago and the owner said it shot to high for him. Most 870 barrels do not shoot this high, and I don't really know if there was any special barrel work to produce this high poi.

IN WINTER HERE IN THE MILWAUKEE AREA IT CAN GET RATHER COLD AT TIMES AND i FIND MY 16 YARD BARREL IS TO OPEN, SHOOTING FROM 24 YARDS AS i SHOOT THE 30 BIRD WINTER EVENTS.

i HAVE A HANDICAP BARREL CHOKED 37 THOUSANDS OF CONSTRICTION AS IT SMOKES 24 YARD TARGETS, BUT THIS IS A FLAT 60/40 BARREL. i DO NOT LIKE ADJUSTABLE STOCKS AS i SEEM TO CONSTANTLY CHANGE BUSHINGS WITH every POOR SCORE.

870 BARRELS ARE inexpensive so I am not worried if an alteration may possibly damamge my barrel. A member of the Wisconsin state trap team told me that he has a device that fits into the choke end of the barrel as it fits snugly, and it has a 12 inch handle that you can adjust up to raise the poi. He says it can also be used to lower a poi.

To my way of thinking, wouldn't a barrel that is bent without reribing the barrel go back to it's original poi after shooting it for awhile? The guy who has this tool said the poi will stay bent???

What do you think, will this possibly work without cutting the rib or reribing the barrel?

Any other suggestions as I hate seeing rib between the beads.
    Steve Balistreri

2. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

I DON'T KNOW!

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Yes they can be bent. If bent too far barrels with ribs fixed at every post may wrinkle or not bend easily. I have made a saw cut through the rib on one BT-99 at the point of bend to release the bridge effect of the rib. It was successful. Barrels tend to try to return to their original shape but do not return completely so you may need to make a couple of attempts before it stays where you want it. Don't be afraid to try it. A shotgun barrel is a tool and if it doesn't perform the task needed it is worthless. Fix it!

jim brown

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

why dont you just raise the comb and not look at the space in between the sights. You are not supposed to be looking at that anyway. John

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Take middle bead out. Raise comb. Shoot off the end of the barrel. It'll work.....No real need for a middle bead once you get used to shooting off the end of the barrel. It doesn't cost you anything, you won't see any space between beads and your gun will shoot as high as your comb will go. Good Luck.

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Does not Briley make chokes to custom that change the POI? I think they at least may have..

7. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Send it to Tom Wilkenson...tell him where you want it to shoot & how big/small the pattern at a specified yardage. Also, how many targets you want to break out of a hundred, and how much you want to win in the lewis.

Best...mike

8. drgondog

drgondog Member

Briley makes eccentric chokes - they work

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Senior it sounds as though you know what you want to do.lol Since you stated you don't want to adjust the comb this is an inexpensive solution. I would have thought your old bud would have taught you to bend em decades ago. That device is probably the one Brownells sold. More sure to get it right as we're in the modern technology age.lol

It will come down.

10. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

11. senior smoke

A lot of good suggestions. I have an old meadow industries convert a stock pad some where in my basement and I will try that. I will take out the middle bead as I find it useless as my stock fits me.

Received a PM from a guy who suggested I take the barrel to a gunsmith and he can tip the very tip of the barrel so the pattern throws higher patterns?

I think I will start with the convert a stock pad and taking that middle bead of the barrel. I use to have a friend years ago who use to bend barrels all the time. Problem is they always came back down as he had to repeatably rebend the barrel.

I have no idea how some shooters can break good scores consistintly with flat shooting barrels on their guns? Maybe the answer is taking these darn beads off the barrel completely? Any one ever shoot a trap gun with no middle and front bead on it?
    Steve

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

So, you have a bbl that shoots to the preferred POI, and you need something that can be used at 16 and 24 yard lines? Simple. Send to Briley (of 'smith of your choice) to see if thin-walled chokes can be installed...Briley does custom constrictions.

WNCRob

13. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

My P gun shoots flat. I just put space between the beads, Shot it and you will learn the amount of space to use. It will break 100s. I do not think I could shoot a proper fitting gun as good as I have learned how to shoot this one as it is. You just need to learn how to shoot it. I kept my middle bead to make sure when I mount my gun that I have the necessary space so I will smoke the target. Ray

14. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Call Dave Berlet @ 419 753 2557 he makes great add on ribs for about $200 it will be fixed fast.

Terry.

15. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

Have someone put chokes in the 16yd barrel sell the other barrel and you'll have more money to spend on targets.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you take the beads off the gun will shoot higher. HMB

17. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

Many said that Larry Gravestock bent barrels. They must of stayed bent, as his
    scores always were near or at the top.
    Gary

18. senior smoke

Ray:
    You obviously are more skilled as a shooter than myself. I don't believe that I could possibly shoot that way consistintly. I am a ham n egger trapshooter at best.

Even in my prime, I think the best 16 yard average that I had was a shade less than 95. I once had a handicap average of roughly 92.67 on 14 hundred targets from 22 yards and that was a fluke.

A lot of you don't realize that you are way above the average trapshooters. I started in 1970, I'd say my 16 yard average has to be between 91 to 92. My handicap average has to be around 85 from 20 to 25 yards.

Maybe I am kiding myself, but if I feel physically good somedays, my mind tells me that I can break them all. Then the reality sets in and I am just trying everything that I can think of to possibly stay competitive during the cold winter events.

When I first started out, if you held a 90 average or above in handicap, you were one of the best. The scores and averages some of you hold today are mind boggling.
    Steve

19. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The first thing to do when contemplating a POI change, Steve, is to nail down for sure where you are now. And I have to say that your description gives me no confidence you have ever done that with either barrel.

You wrote that it shoots "roughly an 80/20 pattern." In my experience people who talk like that are guessing or worse, many just saying 80/20 because

"Good shooters shoot best with 80/20 and I'm pretty good and I shoot this one pretty well so it shoots 80/20."

Further, in my experience, people who have really, really, really tested their POI don't use percentages at all. They say it shoot six inches high at 35 yards because they have actually tested it for a lot of shots and so know it for sure.

So, Steve, where does it shoot? Not in percentages, but inches? And how do you, know for sure, that is? The same goes for the tighter barrel. Where does it shoot in inches above the point of aim at what distance and how may shots did you take off a bench rest to find out on how many days.

Until you can tell us where is shoots and how you know we can't give you any advice on what you should do, if anything.

So go out and find out or assure us that you have done roughly this:

http://www.mn-trap.org/tech_corner/n_winston/nw_poi_pattern.html

but once you have done it you will have read that last part about bending barrels to make them shoot where you want and that all you have to do.

Sending an 870 barrel out for professional work/offset choke-tubes/ or add-on ribs is just crazy. Decide where you want it to shoot based on knowledge of where a barrel you shoot well puts its shot, bend it a little too far then back, and it will shoot there forever. It's not only the cheapest way, it's the only way to get what you want. It really is.

Neil

PS Of course you won't do that that booklet says the first time. I doubt anyone does and I can't blame them; it's a lot of work when you don't know what the payoff is going to be, if any. You will take a couple of off-hand shots at something and make up the rest. So you will just spin your wheels for a year or two, maybe forever. In the meantime the very few people who will actually do the work to find out what going on with their guns will beat the pants off you most of the time. Or you could Just send it to Briley to install off-set chokes for quite a bit of money which you have no idea is really the right thing and wait until it unscrews half a turn which is the only way you will ever find out if you were even half-way right or not.

20. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

the more variables you put in the more you have to tinker with! you know where it shoots so what is the problem? you know you have to cover the bird! try making a faster gun movement this will carry you into the bird, before the shot goes off. I have not had any success with a bent barrel staying put, unless it was bent off and then the damn thing stayed! lol good luck and shoot often to shoot well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.