1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MY BARREL SHOOTS TO FLAT, ANY IDEAS?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    a friend of mine sold me a browning bps trap gun in pristine condition for a very good price,. found out it was a new trap gun, he kept the choke tube barrel, and placed a brand new fixed full choke trap barrel on the gun. he told me the barrel shot to flat for him. the barrel is a smoke pole, but when patterned, it shoots a 50/50 pattern. i have the stock up as high as it will go, and the barrel is still shooting to flat for me. i see nothing but rib between the two beads and still shoots to flat. any ideas? i normally shoot guns thats are a full pattern high.
    steve balistreri

2. jhoward

jhoward Member

Bend the barrel, or have someone do it for you...

Build an add on rib for it...

Build the stock up some more...

Intentionally develop a flinch so that you jerk the gun up at the last second...

Lots of options.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Steve

If you like the gun, get a balsa wood strip and tape it to the rib.

Sand or file it to a taper and pattern it.

It takes a little time but a 5/16 addition on my model 12 made a world of difference.

You can get a delrin rib made and stick it on with tape when you get it right or go with the balsa.

Regards....Gerald

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you add a rib on the gun, it will shoot even lower than it does now. You can add to the height of the comb and install a tapered rib to maintain the desired sight picture. This method will raise the POI. The more you raise the comb, the higher the POI will be. HMB

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The BPS is a flat shooter and always will be. You can get used to it as I have switched from high shooters to low and back again, just takes time

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Since you've raised the comb up as far as it will go, use longer posts?? Hap

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Just bend it or have it bent for you..

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

bend it or lose it.

9. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

remove the front bead and give it a try

10. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

seƱor, bend your barrel about 7-8" from the muzzle.

It's not hard to do and bending it at that point, it will not bend back.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would never hesitate to bend a barrel if it would help. Sportshot- Why are you so opposed to bending barrels ?-- the things are just guns to be used to break targets.

Pat Ireland

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Put a couple of washers under the toe of the buttpad and try it again. If it works, make some that will look better and continue on. If it doesn't help enough, you can try more, but the gun will start knocking you around, especially your cheek. See if you can get Rollin to tell you what to do.

13. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Sporty, you mentioned Mr Seitz. I have an 1100 barrel that he bent up to shoot a bit over a pattern high. You can plainly see the bend around 8" back. Barrel has probably 150,000 rounds thru it since the bending.

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

<i>"we are way past the need to do that in 2009. IMO."</i>

I still have an outhouse on my farm.

tony

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Bend it! It's a tool and if it doesn't perform it's intended task it's worthless. Fix it so it works unless you want to hang it on the wall like a picture.

jim brown

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bend the barrel or have it bent-

if you look at shotgun barrels- some very good ones you see they arent straight- what matters is where they hit-- nothing else between the breech or muzzle is important as far as POI is concerned

regards from Iowa

Gene

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Send it to Jim Eyster at Heritage Gunsmiths and have him modify the choke to make it shoot higher. No Problemo!

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Low or high...whatever you desire!Why not get one of those add-on ribs...they make them to shoot flat or high...whatever you desire.

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Moleskin on the comb, build it up as needed, be careful not too make the comb wider therefore moving your eye too far outward. Thin strips right on top until you get it shooting where you look then cover the whole mess with thin tape, they make duck tape in many colors now and it will hold it all together. Not the most elegant but works and you don't have to risk ruining your barrel which I've seen happen with amateur barrel benders.

I've heard the opposite from most posting on here about Browning pumps shooting low or flat. I shot one trap pump that shot where I looked the one round I tried it, didn't pattern it but I like my patterns somewhat high. SIL has a turkey camo browning pump and I was amazed that it shot where you look as well. Just my experience with my chubby cheeks.

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Good ole Sportshot has got his foot in his mouth again. Again he has shown that he doesn't know it all, quite frankly very little.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.