1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My aunt and uncle killed a snake.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a aunt and uncle that are in their late 80's early 90's.. they drove over to their daughters house to get something out of a storage shed they had stored there.. when they got there they saw a big snake hanging up in the rafters... they couldnt find anything to kill it with so they drove back home, got a garden hoe and came back.. it was still hanging there, my uncle snuck up to it and whaled it with the hoe, it fell out onto the ground apparently stunned.. he took the hoe and cut its head off.. the snake never moved, never bled.. never did anything.. upon closer examintion they realized they had killed a rubber snake their son in law had hung up there to keep the birds out...hahaha..true story..

2. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

They are the hardest to kill.

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Watch out they will come back to haunt you. LOL

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Now thats a good story. However, I can understand their vision was probably a big cause of the incident. LOL

John

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Another true funny story . Years ago an a job where there were 4 black laborers working for a concrete contractor pouring floors . I got along very well with them and always a discussion for the day . Well one was about snakes and how they all were petrified of them . Low and behold when I got home from work my oldest son was playing with one of those wooden jointed snakes . I had this idea to take it to work and place it in a brown plastic bag and when they were all sitting on a mason plank having their morning coffee break I took it out of the truck and brought it over by them and as I was flipping my finger on the bag like there was something in there I wanted to show them that I had found . Well when that wooden snake came out of the bag and me shaking it from side to side , their eyes were as big as saucers and the coffee and donuts went up in the air and there were gone so fast like a disappearing act . They didn`t talk to me for a week . I think most pissed themselves on the run . The Devil made me do it . I still after 35+ years still laugh at that day .

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Snakes are beneficial and have a purpose in nature. If I encounter one in the yard, I usually allow it to run away or chase it off if it wants to stay.

That said, the wife is afraid of snakes and if she finds one, I have to kill it or I will hear about it forever.

A garden hoe is my preferred shake killer.

Ed Ward

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That is a great story.

My dad was just telling me about deer hunting with my uncle , dad's bro in law, who was terrified of snakes. They were walking down a trail in the northern Ca Sierra Nevada woods, my uncle in the lead, when dad stepped across a big limb laying across the trail - and then that limb curled and rattled. Dad said when he showed my uncle what he had just stepped across my uncle turned white and was shaking so bad he was sick and could barely stay on his feet.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I was at the Rosebud Indian Reservation in 1995 doing some Prairie dog hunting. Lots of big ones there and I was walking and stepping over dog holes to get where I wanted to go. Up popped a rattlesnake and shook his rattler at me. Scared the sh-- out of me as I was pretty damned close to him. Don't like snakes

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I hate snakes yeah they might be good for some stuff but I still don't like them, lucky it wasn't me or my wife that went there we would have had to fix the roof, would have shot it where it was

One time when I was in the USAF, I was in Korat Thailand, and some buddies and I ware jacking around up by the hammerhead of one of the runways, there was a little shack so we decided to see what was in there, wasn't anything, but there was some sheet metal nailed to a wooden frame, so we decided to look under it and see what was there, so we flipped it up, and a King Cobra stood up and looked at us damn near eye to eye, the hood on theat SOB was about a foot wide, we all ran like hell.

Stupid things you do when you're 18

10. RJ

RJ TS Member

I have not been real afraid of snakes. Grew up about 1 and 1/2 miles from the Rock River in Rock Island county in Illinoise. This put a lot of garder snakes in the area. There were also copper heads and I don't remember the name of it but it was a kin to the cotten mouth only it could stand the colder climet of that area. Anyway I moved here to Phoenix in 1978. And, I went hunting Quail with several of the guys I worked with. One was named Lee. He and I went off in this one area that only a couple guys could walk along. We stepped over this large pile of rocks and on the other side was a Rattler. Lee was very afraid of snakes. The snake was about three feet from me. Lee had already walked completely by it. It didn't even move I caught a glimps of it an whispered to lee to look down behind him. He seen that snake and he threw his hands up and ran. He went one way the Rattler went another. I just stood there and laughed at both of them. It knew I was there but never made any attempt to come at me. Just went on down the mountain the other direction.

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I don't like em. Wish they were all gone, but if we gotta have em I try to save the non venomous ones. I heard they will keep the venomous ones away. A week or so ago I saw a 3 foot black snake crossing the road in front of the house. I went out and got him before somebody ran over him, and put him in the grass. I'm hoping he will keep the copperhead away that I saw about a half mile from home on one of my walks.

Snakes like traphouses too. I've seen more than one in traphouses.

I've got a friend who believes there are only 2 kinds of snakes in the country. There are those that have rattles and the ones that don't are copperheads.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Wow, Ljutic111's post reminded me of one of my Dad's favorite stories. My Dad used to own a service station and junk yard. One day he caught a big black snake out in the junk yard and decided to play a little joke on the black fellow who worked for him. He coiled up the snake inside a car's air cleaner and then told the guy to go install a new air filter in that car. Then my Dad stood back and "just waited for the fun to begin." But when the unsuspecting dude took off the air cleaner cover and reached in to grab the filter, he freaked out so badly that, as my Dad put it, he didn't know whether to sh!t or go blind. The guy took off running and never came back -- literally. Not even to pick up his last paycheck. I think my Mom felt bad for the guy, but 25 years after it happened my Dad would still bring himself to tears laughing as he told the story.

-Gary

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is a photo of our front porch visitor. I is a four foot black snake. He tries to climb the porch posts to get at the baby birds that are up in the rafters. He will spend the day going along the railing trying to climb the posts. One day we founf him in a decorative basket that we have sitting on the porch.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_030334.jpg

skeeljc_2008_030335.jpg

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    After an evening of shelling and eating crawdads, along with a lot of beer, a friend and I decided something of no good had to be done with the remains. So we stuck them in his sister's car. In the glove box. In the ashtray. In the jockey box. And in the gas cap door.

Well, she wasn't happy having to get them out of the interior, especially when it was a hot August day and they were getting ripe.

But she stormed into the house furious because she got booted out of a gas station and was told to never come back. The old guy running the station opened the gas cap door... and about had a heart attack. He was ticked.

15. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a friend who is a little on the crazy side.. when he was in trade school a big ole boy was trying to mess with his girl friend.. he threatened the beat the tar out of my buddy, so one day after he had had enough he went home and caught several copperheads.. like 8-10 of them, the next day when he went to school he slipped them in the guys car.. the guy quit school, and never bothered my buddy or his woman again..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.