1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My arm gets tired. Automate worth it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Redcobra, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

I load 12g on a MEC 9000. It does a wonderful job, although i have to keep an eye on the primer drop to make sure it's not upsidedown. After about 8 boxes my arm gets really tired, and I am having a hard time keeping my loading up with my shooting.
    Is it time for an automate?
    When you hit the buttons can you stop it on the downstroke to flip a primer if necessary? Now I just hold the handle down with one hand and flip the primer with the other. If you release one of the automate buttons does the up stroke happen?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Load some righthanded and some lefthanded. Then check to see which ones pattern better. Then you will have shells for practice and for competition. HMB

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Not so much tired, as shoulder joint erosion, or rotator cuff damage. Used to have "G", had to start using both hands after a couple years. If you load large volumes at a time (and who doesn't) you're just asking for it. When I switched to a Dillon, the effort needed was reduced dramatically, but then I started reloading more/longer and ended up in the same boat. I believe you're on the right path. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

4. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Is it worth it. YES IMHO. The automate drops the primer to the shell plate on the downstroke......then rotates an empty hull over it on the upstroke. If it happens to flip a primer.....merely remove the hull sitting on the primer...flip it..and go on. With the new primer system, I rarrely have primers flip. Automates are expensive now...(what isnt)??. Ive seen them sold woth the 9000 already attached for a pretty good price if you're in need of a new press. If not...the changeover is relatively easy...probably about 30 min or so........Maybe an hour if you actually read the instructions. I load about 15K /yr. I say get the automate and dont look back!

5. wrd

wrd Member

IMO the AutoMate is the absolutely the best thing since sliced bread. No more pain, just boredom, as you load a case of ammo in one sitting. Clean and wax the primer tray every month or two and watch each primer drop. Hardly ever a problem and easily corrected if you notice a failure to drop or a inverted primer. If you happen to miss it, just clean up the spilled powder and start over. When you notice a extra "clunk" during the cycling of the press, just apply a little Permatex Anti-Sieze to the re-sizing collet.Like mikkeeh, I also load 15/20K per year. The AutoMate has saved my shoulder and made reloading fun again. And better, more uniform, loads.

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Buying an AutoMate is definitely something you should do.

I have been using one for the last 8 years or so, and if I had to do it all over again, I most certainly would go with an AutoMate.

I'm sure you will love it as much as I love mine.

It takes all of the work out of it.

Go for it!

You'll be glad you did!

Hauxfan!

7. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

8. Sims58

Sims58 Member

Buy the AutoMate - it's worth the money.

For your primer issue - place a magnet on the underside of the shell carrier plate (where the primer initial drops before being carrier to the next station) and you won't have the problem.

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Sims58. Huh? Can you show us a pic of that?

10. Sims58

Sims58 Member

Sure. I'll do it when I get home.

I use a small round magnet that sticks to the shell table (the red portion of the press) under the primer drop zone. I found the magnetic pull reduces the jumping and flipping of the primer.

Sorry for the confusion - I said it was the shell carrier plate...it's actual the portion that holds the shell carrier plate. ;) You'll see when I post the picture.

11. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I have a 9000H (Hydraulic).
    The main benefit of the press is the consistency.
    The consistency is a direct result of the press's up and down action which is always uniform.
    You will get more consistent powder drops, brass resizing and crimps with an automated press.

The secondary benefit is that you can run as fast as you want to based upon how quickly and accurately you can feed shells and wads.

You are certainly going to become more tired mentally vs physically with an automated press, as you have to watch the shell position in station 1 and the primer drop in station 2. Those are the key items.

I find the hydraulic press to be superior to the Automate as both of your hands are free with the foot pedal of the hydraulic... not so with the Automate. Having both hands free allows you to really get into a rhythm such that you can do about 20 or more shells per minute if you can keep up the pace.

Art

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yes yes yes

13. In plain view

In plain view Member

*I just started reloading on my new 9000E (Electric) and take it from me you have to be real patient with this new machine. What I dont like about it is the fact that any time there is a problem "coming down" the fuse blows and everything stops. To get it going again you have to turn the machine off, go in the back of it and push the wheel like hell to get the machine to recyle so both lights can come on again. Both lights will not come on until you get the machine back to the top. I blew 7 fuses (1 amp) during my first setting and finally found the exact replacements at Radio Shack here in So. California. Called MEC to inquire why so many fuses and basically it's a "safety" mechanism to keep from damaging the motor. Trust me, any time a wad does not go into the hull smoothly bang goes the fuse. The new primer tray and it's fuction already has me cussing a blue streak. I finally got 4 boxes of papers loaded saturday evening and I think I've got things settled down and ready for my next sitting. I'm going to have my VO-7 standing by. JMHO. Bob in Los Angeles

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

In Plain View.........

I too had a period where I was going through a lot of fuses.

Someone on TS.com said to stop using Radio Shack fuses as they blow pretty easy. They were right!

Went and bought some Bussmann fuses and that solved the problem.

Worked for me. Hopefully it will work for you.

Hauxfan!

15. dale1957

dale1957 Member

Just bought 2 used 9000h and 1 pump. Best money I ever spent! It's unbelievably fast. My friend has the Automate and he loves his. Either r good. IMHO the hydraulic is faster. The automate is probably safer. Good Luck.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"After about 8 boxes my arm gets really tired..."</I></blockquote>Try loading standing up so you never raise your wrist above your shoulder. And if you are using the OEM MEC straight handle, switch to a shovel handle.

Keller

17. In plain view

In plain view Member

Hauxfan: Thanks for the info but let me say this. The package that comes with the MEC Automate is the exact package that my Radio Shack has. MEC even sent me 3 new fuses that are in all the fuse packages. It is my belief that the 1 amp fuse is "too" touchy but according to the Repr at MEC it is not recommended the use of a higher amp fuse. I think I have everything settled down now and the machine is functioning properly but one thing is clear, you have to be patient, keep your eyes open and don't rush. Last but not least, if your tired don't even bother to take the machines cover off. Disaster is waiting. Bob

18. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Redcobra,
    I don't have a MEC but I do have a PW and a Spolar. Because I'm in the Golden Years I started getting Arthritis almost 4 years ago. Talked to a lot of shooters and that's when I got the Spolar (had PW for 25 years). They were all correct in saying how much easier it was on us older guys. Ran it for about 4 months by hand and then started getting a little sore. Was also turning out more rounds with the Spolar. Then I decided to give Dicksie a call and she gave me the run down on their hydraulics. Ordered on the spot. Best thing I've ever done. Now the only thing that tires me out is putting the loaded rounds in boxes. So I'm not familiar with the Automate or MEC's, but I can assure you that going to a form of automation sure has worked for me.
    As far as the primer mechanism on both loaders, I clean the trays, primer chute, and the priming mechanism itself and then spray on Dry Lube. Primer issues went away.
    Mike C.

19. Sims58

Sims58 Member

Here you go MIA.

sims58_2012_24092.jpg

20. Jag one

Jag one Member

Hey That magnet trick really works! Thanks for the tip Sims 58. Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.