1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MY Answer to the Curmudgeons

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fortycaliberglock, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

Jul 21, 2011
    My response to a post waxing poetic about the good old days. Mostly tongue-in-cheek, all in good fun.

Ah yes, the good ole days, like in the 1930's, dust, poverty, hunger. Child labor, no weekends, polio, doctors recommending menthol cigarettes for your health, segregation, lives spent sweltering in unionized factories or mines with little hope for advancement, outhouses, septic tanks, no electricity in rural areas, Hitler, Stalin, the Soviet Empire, the Iron Curtain, the Berlin Wall, the Stasi, disco (though I'd take it over rap), Jimmy Carter (though I'd trade our current president for him any day), just to name a few. And yes, many on this board would be dead by now (male life expectancy was 63). Of course, Al Gore hadn't yet invented the internet, so no discussion board. Most sadly, there was no K-80...and before you say it, I know, there was the M32 (and Mr. Browning's rapturous M1911).

I'm in my 40's, but I like my Chevy Tahoe with power everything, Blackberry, $400 laptop more powerful than NASA's moon-shot computers, microwave, DVD, CD, skis that don't break my legs, plentiful food that doesn't poison me, medicine to fix nearly every ailment, excellent medical care, my kids don't get chicken pox, 80 year life expectancy (see excellent medical care), hopping on a plane and flying accross the globe in 24 hrs, comfortable, heated and air conditioned homes, king size beds, incredible entertainment of every conceivable variety (and not just in Bangkok), job mobility, the 401K, my kids playing sports with modern safety equipment on beautiful turf fields, a far cleaner environment, the NFL in HD, the thong! (on her), birth control, Slumber Parties (ask your wife), modern grooming practices (ask your girlfriend), gorgeous Eastern European women now free to travel (do not ask your wife), being able to see the Bolshoi in Moscow, walk through a mall(!) on Red Square accross from Lenin spinning in his grave, a kevlar vest and ceramic plates in Iraq and Afghanistan, calling my kids on my amazing dual-SIM cell phone after a bad day far from home, keeping in touch with old friends and Army buddies on Facebook, etc, etc, etc...

Let's face it my friends, life is pretty darn good in modern America, better than it has ever been. It's certainly better than anywhere else on the planet. Even with our current problems, and our current president, we are more free, more prosperous, more mobile, healthier, more secure and more comfortable than we have ever been. Twenty years from now, we'll be even better off. Whether in 2012 or 2016, the Obama administration will fade away, our economy will be roaring (sooner with him gone), the OWS crowd will bathe, decide that a job and money aren't the source of evil and pretty handy in a way, they'll marry, make babies and move into a nice suburban home. We'll be building McMansions again in neighborhoods like "Pheasant Glenn" and "Meadow Brook Estates", more gadgets will emerge we can't live without and our grandkids will be torturing our ears with a band some concerned citizens will want to ban for corrupting the youth. I'll watch my grandkids run around the yard, cuss the neighbor's dog for tearing into my trash, and watch my beautiful young wife polish my many trap trophies (one can dream!) Yes, life will go on in America, much as it always has.
  2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Iowa man!!
    It has evolved to be better for each generation. We have the "richest" poor people in the world.
    I grew up only 50 or so years ago in what I would describe as lower middle class and by today's standards it would be considered extreme poverty.
    Not too sure it is going to continue though with our country gaining $4,000,000,000.00 in debt every day and holding a $15,000,000,000,000.00 debt that does not include about that much more in unfunded social liabilities. Looks a little hopeless for our offspring to be able to continue passing the bills off to their kids like we have done.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.