1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My 870 Story

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jhmorrisn, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

The story of my 870.
    I got out of the Army in the fall of 1958 and started saving my pennies to by a trap gun.
    What type or kind, I had no ideal.
    About a year later I stopped in a local shop out on Military Ave called “Moneymaker’s.” Just to see what he had for sale and for how much.
    That was an eye opener. After a short time it came apparent that I hadn’t saved enough pennies.
    Just as I was lowering my head and stared back out the door, he stopped me. Said he wanted to check the back room one more time. In a short time he returned with this long barreled pump shotgun. Had rib on the barrel and everything.
    He explained that although it said “870 TB” on the side, it really wasn’t a TB model. Just what he meant by that statement I had no ideal or cared.
    When I informed him that all I had to spend was $125.00, he responded I that was in luck because that was the price of the gun.
    Over the years I never got into doing a lot of trap shooting based on a shortage of both time and money.
    My son used it on the local High School Trap Team for a couple of years and later on his daughter also used it when she was on the same HS Team.
    I retired in 93, my Granddaughter is now using a Remington 1100, my son an O/U and I’ve got my 870 back.

[​IMG]

2. shrek

shrek Active Member

Great story and a nice blue collar gun!!!

3. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

10 million sold and counting still the best trap gun for the money. Doubles is the issue but I just love to watch a good pump guy shoot doubles with one unfortunately a dyeing breed lost art old Rudy and Herb Parsons really knew how to shuckum.
    Buddy

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Friend, you don't have the required girth to be a trap shooter. Start eating rich foods, and when your ass is as wide as that barrel is long, THEN you will be a trap shooter.

5. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

When I got out of college in 1967, I got a job, married and wanted to buy my own first brand new shotgun. I and another friend raked leaves, washed windows, cleaned yards to make enough money to buy own shotguns.
    That fall I went into Schells Hardware in Fargo North Dakota and bought
    a brand new Remington 870 Wingmanster 12 ga 3 inch for $149.95
    I have shot that Model 870 for ducks, geese, pheasants, deer, grouse and most of all Trap. The only thing better in 1970's was the Browning O/U the
    rich guys had. I still have mine and plan on giving it to the kids.

Birddog

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Bought mine in '72 from my dad (had a gunshop) for $172. Brother bought a TC. I shot mine constantly til year before last when the receiver cracked. Bought a vintage 870, took the receiver, grafted on my original stock, forend, barrel and trigger group and am still shooting it.

Have my brother's tc, and another tc I picked up last year...all of about the same vintage. All shoot well but I can't cheek the TC of bro's.

I've had three 99s, two 101s, a Daley, a Citori, A cynergy, a couple of 1100 traps and can't get away from the TB/Tc format. Quit trying last year.

TB/TC til I die.

I can cover our big dining table with patches won and I donated a truckload of trophies to the scouts (kept the plates off them).

Virtually flawless design. Sure, they'll rattle a little. Sure, you can't cold blue the receivers. I don't care. I pull it up, look at where the target should come out, call "pull" and more often than not, break it. (96% last year and that was a bad year.)

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought mine in '79, the year after I started registering targets......shot it for 4 years and then bought an 870 Comp......still have both and shoot them occasionally....they are both great wobble guns....

8. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

in 1971 my fathers business was presented a sales incentive-if he reached the set goal, he could choose a prize--when the shippment of sales goods arrived in a railroad boxcar , it was a huge task to unload all the bags(by myself). when completed, my dad said i could pick a winchester or remington shotgun---i still have that 870!!! the first win at trap ,was in estherville ia. @ the izzac walton gunclub it was cold winter funshoot--that lil trophy, is still in my gunroom!! wally riebesell, originally from calumet, ia

9. FIB

FIB Member

I come from a lower middle class family and money for something like a 870 Wingmaster was somewhat of a dream. My BF at the time had a new LH (I'm LH too) 870 Wingmaster. I lusted for that gun more than the cute brunnette down the street. For my 16th BD (1980) I received a RH 870 Wingmaster w/a 28" MOD barrel. Of all the guns I've bought, sold, traded, I would never sell this gun. It still looks like the day I got it and that BD was my favorite!

10. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Here is my 870 story. In 1971, after borrowing an 870 for years, my father bought me one from Dan Titus 'Gun Runner" in Bryn Mawr PA (some of you eastern PA fellows may remember Dan.) I got the present Christmans morning. Around 1PM on Christmas, as my father took a nap in the living room, I lifted the 870 up close to my face to look at the reciever and put the barrel though the ceiling, making a hole in the ceiling, but, furtunately, not waking Dad. Being a roofer's son, I was a little handy, so I set up a ladder and with a little quick mixing, patching, and painting, I repaired the ceiling while the snoring continued. He never knew.

The 870 still has a very slight abrasion beside the bead, but I won a lot of turkeys, and shot a lot of league 25's with that gun.

39 years later, my son Murphy shot his first 25 with that same 870 at age 15. During the round, his older brother, trying to be supportive around target #22 said to Murphy, " hey Murph, don't choke....". Well, he didn't.

I have tried to attach a photo here of all 5 Smiths, (you can see the 870) from last Father's day. L to R - Harry/Chris/Sean/Dad/Murphy) at the Lower Mreion R&G club. By the way, Murphy beat me that day with a borrowed BT 100 from a fellow club member. That may eventually be an expensive borrow.

The 870 Trap sure has a lot of family history around the U.S. I am sure.

JS in PA
    [​IMG]

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Lean forward from the hips, break the front (left) knee, put about sixty or seventy percent of your weight on your left foot. Your scores on angle birds will soar. By the way, I am an 870 guy myself. I am looking for a Sun Light maple stocked gun in 12 gauge. Anyone have one for sale?

12. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

In 1971 I just got out of the Army and my future brother in law suggested that I take my soon to be wife trapshooting. I go to the Cudahy gun club and they were closed. I get a hand thrower out and my wife flings them out and I am not doing well, especially when a cop comes and threatens to arrest us. We then go to the Racine quarry and start shooting and another cop threatens to arrest us. The next week I go the the Boxhorn gun club, find out they have a new owner by the name of Dick Bennett. He asked me what gun am I shooting and I said my uncles Remington 31 field grade.

He pulls out a new Remington 870 TB, 30 inch full. I am left handed and Dick checks the cast and it just happened to be left handed cast on this gun. I purchased it for $185.00 plus tax. A few months later my grandma died and I received inheritance of $1,000.00. Dick had a special on two new trap guns at the time that I never heard of. For $600.00 you could purchase a Perazzi comp one, or a Kreighoff. I purchased the Perazzi . I knew nothing about guns, but this gun split open my check, plus it had 56 thousands in choke. I could have taken a pound of metal out that choke and it probably would still been a full choke. Best score I ever shoot with that gun was a 14. I eventually sold that gun and with the money i got from the sale, I started to purchased 870 trap guns in all different grades. I have always said that I could not shoot a gun worth over $200.00. Truth is I could not shoot a gun well under $200.00 either.
    Steve Balistreri

13. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

this guy has been taking my money for 35 years...

I finally broke down and bought a nice used 870 TB.

He still takes my money, but I ran a straight with the gun the first day I shot it!

Moral of the story...BEWARE THE MAN THAT SHOOTS ONE GUN!

[​IMG]

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

The 870 is an excellent trap gun if it fits you well. It is, at least for me, a little awkward when shooting doubles. I just can't remember the proper order of shoot-pump-shoot.

Pat Ireland

15. RJ

RJ TS Member

It looks like 1971 was a popular year to purchase the workhorse of all shotguns the Remington 870. I purchased my 870 in 1971 also. Still have it to this day. I figure about 47,000 rounds through it. It's kind of been retired to hunting now. Then I shot trap and handycap with it besides hunting. I now use a counter part to it. The 1100, I have two of these, but the 870 stands just as proud next to the two newer 1100,s. I used it opening day of Dove hunting last year and this year to and got my limit within less than two hours of opening shooting time this year. I went out again a couple days later with it and got my limit for the day within three hours this time. I am planing another hunt within the next couple days with it. I have never put anything new in it except for puting a center post on the vent ribbed barrell. Made for easier alinment when shooting it for trap. I now have a plain barrel for it so I don't bang up the rib on the other barrel. Thats all I have put into this from the day I purhased it brand new. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

MY 870 STORY: Being a "some time" meat shoot shooter for many years, I have tried, and shot, just about all the popular meat shoot guns in our area. 870 Comp, Model 12, Ljutic Mono, A303, 1100, etc. The 870 Comp I used was a right handed gun, and being left handed I found it and the Model 12 a little awkward, but both were very effective. Fast forward to about 2 months ago. Decided to get a little more serious about the fun shoots and decided to build a gun just for this type of shooting. Of all the guns I had, the 870 Comp felt the best. While it was a pain to keep clean, and shot flatter than a pancake, it just "Felt" good, and I shot it well. After some searching, I found an 870TB left hand to use for the foundation of this gun. I'm currently waiting for a release trigger from "Alant" on this site, and the stock is going to Comfort Stockworks for an adjustable comb, Kick-eez 403 pad, and to have a Beartrap installed. This gun is definately a keeper and I'll be shooting it this year at the Grand Pacific in Evergreen should they decide to continue with their evening shoots..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Some really neat stories and there are a lot more out there. Not many of us still have our first gun. I have mine ( a 1962 Broadway Trap) paid $500 and it was a years savings back then

18. larryjk

larryjk Member

Well, here goes! I have never personally owned an 870. I have shot one pheasant hunting and did fine with it. I grew up with a Model 12 in my hands. The balance is a little different. Six model 12s and no 870s. I may have to remedy that. I shot an 870 TC I really liked but the Remington I like the best is a 31TC my brother used to own. He sold it without telling me or I might own it now.

19. Dick The Shooter

Dick The Shooter Member

LOL just looked in the safe damn if i got 8 of them 870s lol

1or 2 for each use

Trap 870s

turkey shoot 870s

Deer slug 870

Small game 870s

home defence 870s

Always looking for a deal on more

Dick The Shooter

20. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I think they're great guns. Got my TB for Xmas 1972, and I still shoot it today. Won lots of shoots, broke more than a couple 200's, a 100 straight at caps, singles season average over 99% a couple of times, lifetime AAA average. Doubles, oh well, only tried it once and that was enough. Best Xmas gift I ever received.

As far as singles go, an 870 isn't holding anyone back on its own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.