1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My 870 for Trap ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JamieK, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieK

JamieK TS Member

I am want to start Trap shooting. I have a 870 with a 26in. Rem-choke barrel. The question is, Would this be an effective step up for trap by using the screw in chokes? or should I consider a longer barrel? Thanks for any and all input. God bless, Jamie Knope

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I see a few beginners at trap come with these and they do ok, a couple I have seen do amazingly well. I would shoot it a while, then decide what you want. If you have a longer barrel, yes use it, if not use this one until you decide

3. amerrycan

amerrycan TS Member

I would agree use it!! Have and had several higher end trap guns and my favorite still remains my early 70's Rem 870 TB.

James

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You can pick up an 870TB or TC for $400-$500, Their combs are higher than a field grade and a 30" barrel will have more weight and swing smoother.

What better excuse do you need to buy another gun???

5. slodsm

slodsm Member

It will be fine for starting out to see if you like it. I agree on the tb/tc too, I sold a mint tb last winter from the mid 70s and I'm still kicking myself. I found it in Weathorford tx with practically no rounds through it and it shot like a dream.

If you enjoy the game and want to try a trap gun next for a low investment I think it's an excellent choice.

Jeremy

6. amerrycan

amerrycan TS Member

You can get TB's with other then 30 in factory barrels too. Mine is a 32 they are harder to find in the length however.

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Jainie:
    Cubancigar is giving you some good advice.
    Steve Balistreri

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I am doing the same thing Jamie. I am modifying my 870 express, by installing a monte carlo stock and maybe a recoil device (Gracoil, RAD) for my daughter. Hopfully she'll be able to handle 1 oz loads.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jamie, by all means just go out and shoot your gun. You may want to buy a nice extended Briley choke for your gun (IM). As the older Rem Chokes made by Remington for your gun were cheap and not many of them were made to todays better standards. One IM choke will do for starters. As you keep shooting or not time will tell what your next move could and should be. You can always just buy a barrel on this site or others sites, that will fit your existing gun in a 30 w/ or without fixed chokes. Or you may just want a nicer starting gun like a browning or whathave you. Get a choke and some shells and just go on out. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jamie:

Many of us, myself included, started shooting informal trap with a field grade 870. These guns are somewhat lighter (7 1/2 pounds or so) than a dedicated trap gun which will weigh in the 8 1/2 - 10 pound range or more. As such, your present 870 will produce more felt recoil.

As you start out, I recommend that you use lighter recoiling trap loads especially 1 oz. 2 3/4 dram loads. Stay away from "heavy" or "handicap" loads as their recoil can be unpleasant in a lighter gun.

After a while, you may want to look for an older 870 TB or an 1100 trap grade. As pointed out above, these guns will have higher combs (the top of the butt stock) and will weigh about a pound more.

IMO, most 870's and 1100's trap grades have similar dimensions so you can migrate from one to another with less learning curve than non-Remington trap guns.

Good shooting!

Ed Ward

11. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

If it were meI'd build up the comb with some moleskin to get the gun to shoot a little higher and shoot the 26 in bbls with a full choke tube. Most beginners miss targets behind and below. The 26 in bbls will serve you better starting out because they will be a little quicker to the target. I would hesitate to guess how many targets have been broken by 870's; maybe thousands or hundreds of thousands.

12. doublea

doublea Member

I would suggest that you screw in a full choke and have some fun with it. I took my 870 with a 28" barrel and installed a Remington Shurshot Thumbhole stock. With the higher comb and SuperCell recoil pad, it's a fun gun to shoot. Adam

13. 870smokim

870smokim TS Member

By all means shoot your 870, and you will notice it will still be shooting when the guys, with other , guns are in the gunsmith work room.
    870 smokin Joe

14. shrek

shrek Active Member

As several of the folks have mentioned already, go out and shoot your gun as it is to begin with. I would agree that if you have a longer barrel you might like it, but if you don't that is not a reason to not shoot trap with it.

I have gone full circle, started with an 870 field gun, had a bt-99, and an xt and a 391 trap, and an 870 trap, tried a 682 trap a few times, and thought real hard about a TM-1

came back to the 870 field gun put a HART adjustable LOP on it so it fits (had some spacers in it to start with) and shoot it better than all the others, so I stick with it.

15. JamieK

JamieK TS Member

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom. I will certainly start with my 870. Wrights Choke Tubes is in my home town and I will diffently stop by and talk to Stew about a choke tube. We will be relocating to South Fla. for the winter due to work. I am going to be haunting those clubs for sure!!! Thanks folks you have really got me pumped to start trap shooting again !!!! God Bless, Jamie Knope

16. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Jamie,

There is a reason why Remington made a BAZILLION 870s and they're still in production...for the money, they're very hard to beat. For 16 yard singles I would suggest a 28" fixed MOD barrel, preferably with a center bead. You should be able to pick one up for $150 or less.

Another suggestion would be to install an 870 TB (trap b grade) set of wood.
    There is nothing wrong with shooting a field gun, but a trap stock will not only look much better, it will also raise your POI and improve your trap scores. I may have a set that will bolt right on your gun...PM me if interested.

17. porky

porky TS Member

The only problem that you will be faced with is that the 26 inch barrel will sound louder than a 30 inch barrel. Other than that, it will do fine.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I used a 870 that was made inn the 60's for some time when I just started shooting trap. I used the standard barrel then bought a Rem trap barrel. Did fine with it for learning. I then was loaned a BT-99, I then bought a Browning Broadway Trap and then a German shotgun that I'm still shooting today.

If anyone gives you a hard time about shooting a 870 let them. Just shoot their ass of on the field with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.