1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

my 28 gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I just got done shooting my new 28 gauge.....i'll never go back to 12 except for trap....the 20 i'll be shooting less of. I shot off 6 boxes I just love how it smoked targets. this is the gun I shoot best with my friend said, but can you afford to shoot it.

now problem I just bought a loader and loaded up 34 boxes of federal, estates....those hulls load nice. there probley good for 2 maybe 3 reloads but hey its fun.

i have 4 flats of winchester sporting clay loads...there a hot load from the sound but the hulls are nice..and the price was right on them.

could you use 28 for shooting ducks and pheasents or is it to small of a gauge.

2. DanLee

DanLee Member

You can use the 28 gauge for dux and phez within its range limits, about 35 yards. A bigger problem might be finding non-toxic shot loads for the dux, but a little looking and a lot of cash will be productive.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

dolphin62,

I see you finally have stepped over to the darkside of shotgun shooting. Lol. The 28ga is amazing on both the sporting and skeet field and it does well for upland hunting (quail, rabbit, squirrel, grouse, dove, etc...), but is a little light for later season pheasants (those birds get a little spooky after being shot at a time or two).

Enjoy your new toy and lay in a supply of 8's and 8.5's and mix them together for your reloads.

ss

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

For pheasants try the Winchester 1 oz load with 5's or 6's.

This gauge rewards reloaders. Get the small gauge manual from Ballistic Products. Lots of great loads. Even some 1 oz loads.

Don Verna

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

For those who are challenged by the cost of 28 ga. shells, empties, and components...who isn't...load your 20 ga. with 3/4 oz. loads. Regards, Ed

6. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

I looked up a decent load with Unique (book recipe 1300+ fps)with 5's or 6's and tried it on a few Phesants about 3 years ago. Only gun I carry now. Lighter and seems to hit as hard as a 20. I don't take any long shots because a well placed first shot makes it unnecessary. Less than 6 lbs, no recoil and fun to shoot. Enjoy and good hunting!

Jim O

7. ddsflyer

ddsflyer TS Member

You will save more on 28ga reloads than on any other gauge except possibly .410. My own cost analysis shows that, once past the initial purchase of shells, (why 28ga shells cost more from the manufacturer than 12ga is beyond me), consider this: the cost for the primer and the wad is the same for all gauges. The difference is in the powder and the shot. Obviously the less of each you use, the less the cost. Using first class components my cost is $4.79/box for 12ga, $3.98/box for 20ga, $3.19/box for 28ga and $2.90/box for .410. You really make out with the smaller gauges. Consider a box of Remington STS 28ga is $9.95/box and can be reloaded for $3.19 you are saving $6.76/box. At that rate you can amortize your reloader in a very short time indeed. If you really need a potent load, Fiocci makes a Golden Pheasant loading of 7/8oz nickel plated 7 1/2's or 8's at 1300fps. Devastating on dove or anything else within 35 yards. They crack like a rifle shot and do recoil some in a light gun.

Tad

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

dolphin62, I told you it would be worth the wait !!! May you enjoy many years shooting that gun. Ed while the 20 ga. 3/4 oz load is very good, it still won't pattern like the 28 ga. Tad, I believe the reason why the 28's and 410's cost more is simply supply and demand. Such a small number of shooters shoot them (new shells) that they pass the cost of setting up and breaking down the machines that make them into those loads. One machine for a couple/ of few months a year is all they need run in those 2 gauges, I would think before setting back up for 12 or 20 gauge. Oh Yeh, one other magical thing about the 28 ga. "TELL ME THIS" if I get 400 loads out of a bag of shot with a one oz. load and 800 loads with a l/2 oz. load, how come you don't get 600 loads with a 3/4 oz. load??? It truly is magical isn't it. LOL Break-em all. Jeff

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Now you can adopt an English accent and go around saying things like "By Jove, it's such a smashing little bugger." Get some funny looking tweeds to wear while shooting it.

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

600, if you do the math right!

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"Ed while the 20 ga. 3/4 oz load is very good, it still won't pattern like the 28 ga. "

How do you know that? Most people that perpetuate that myth read it from some computer bound "gun-writer" that read it from some typewriter bound "gun writer".

Have you patterned any? How many?

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

You can load 3/4 oz in a 12 ga too. But some of us love the light, easy carrying 28.

I also enjoy the look of astonishment when the guy shooting 1 1/4 oz (or better) 12's sees that ittty bitty 28 drop them just as dead.

Don Verna

13. Garry

Garry Active Member

Dolphin62,

What make and model 28ga did you buy?

14. 87AA

87AA TS Member

This year I decided to shoot my 28 for everything. That includes trap, sporting, FITASC, 5-stand, bunker, and helice (zz bird). I swallowed my wallet and purchased 25 flats of AA 7.5 1300 fps before the shooting year began. The only time I have felt handicapped by the smaller shot charge is when shooting helice were I think the extra 87+ pellets of a 1 oz load would really make a difference. Other than than that I am only feel handicapped by my own ability. Shooting a very flat shooting gun from the 27 yard line, regardless of gauge, is a bit tough.

I wish more shooters would choose the 28 as their primary gun, it might help bring the price of bullets down. I just don't see it happening unless a mandatory 3/4 oz becomes the standard for all disciplines.

One note to potential 28 shooters: Selling your 28 hulls will generally make up the difference between a box/flat of 28 bullets and box/flat of premium (Nitro 27) shells. 28 gauge AA hulls are the closest thing to plastic gold as you'll ever find.

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bruce-em, go look up how many loads you get in a 3/4 oz. load in the reloading cost calculator at the home page on this site. You get 533 loads out of a 25 pound bag. I loaded up a whole bag one weekend on just 28's and thats right on too I was within 6 loads of being on the money. 87AA You are close, I think that the old style 28's are closer to gold. In the 410 its abit of a toss up I think, both have advanages one way or another. Mrskeet410, before I give you my answer to your question. I'll ask you this, We both win our class, Its you and me in a shoot-off for a thousand dollars, You have to shoot one of these loads 3/4 in 20 ga. or a 3/4 oz in a 28 ga. Which gauage gun and load would you take to the field, for the shoot-off??? Break-em all. Jeff

16. darr

darr Well-Known Member

The reason you don't load 3/4 oz in a 20 gauge is it just doesn't pattern like a 28.If you shoot a tight choke and shoot 35 yards or less the 28 is fine for pheasant.I only own one but if I am hunting that is the gun I take.Light and swings nice,quick from the hip.zi have a 686 Beretta and I would recomend it to anybody.Just buy the loader and 3 or 4 flats of quality shells when you buy the gun and your set.

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pull & Mark - I'd take the 20 gauge, they pattern better. ;^)

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I was told the 28 gauge shells cost more becaust the machinery is old, and they only make them a couple times a year. Most of the time it sits idle.

12 gauge promo loads spew out of a bank of machines like a waterfall,hence less cost of production.

The raw naterials is the least important part of the cost of shells. Smaller payload of the 28 is overshadowed by high cost of manufacturing.

HM

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I love the 28 ga, I shoot sporting clays, trap and a some bird hunting with mine. I'm setting up to reload the 28 I bought AA HS ?? hulls any good recipes for that hull? Mostly will be shooting clays with the loads.

20. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Pull & Mark - Not only does the 3/4 ounce 20 gauge pattern better than the 28, but it's also a 'square load'!!!!! Now how is any long shot column load like a 28 going to shoot better than a square load? :^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
shooting trap with a 28gauge
28 gauge trap gun

are 28 gauge good for trap shooting

shooting trap with a 28gauge