1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

My 1100 remington receiver cracked

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It's only common if you don't change your recoil spring.. or bolt buffer.. In any event.. speak with the factory if the receiver is reasonably new.. If not.. tig it up.. reblue it.. and continue shooting.. The bolt locks up inside the barrel.. The receiver holds nothing but the trigger..and the shells..

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Check your action spring and buffer. There is also a possibility that the barrel orifices (gas ports) have been enlarged.

There are threads on how to stop the crack. One can drill a small hole at the back of the crack, relieving stress. PM Tron and see what he will charge.

If you have access to a drill press, you can do it yourself.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have seen this on an another 1100 that was shot extensively and on my very old 870 TB that probably has well over 250,000 rounds through it. I traded for the 1950's vintage 870 TB with the cracked receiver to get the wood, barrel and other parts.

The 870 receiver I have has been drilled at the end of the crack but the crack continued to spread. As an 870 bolt locks into the top of the barrel when the barrel is inserted in the receiver, it may be safe to shoot a gun with a slightly cracked receiver. However, I don't like the thought of shooting a cracked receiver so I plan to some day replace the receiver. In the meantime, this has become a parts gun.

My understanding is that this is a fairly common problem for 870's and 1100's that have been shot many times. I have heard 250,000 as a number of rounds where this occurs.

I believe that the proper course of action is to work with Remington to get a new receiver (about $350 or so) and to retire the serial number of the old receiver.

The receiver is technically the gun as it contains the serial number and includes the cost to register and track the gun.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to stop crack in remington 1100

remington 1100 trap cracked reciever

reminton 1100 cracked receiver