1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX8 vs MX12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybrdr, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Never owned an MX12 only MX8s but it seems their values are substantially less than MX8s. Am I off base here? Is the only difference the drop out trigger and leaf springs? I think the barrel selector is on the tang coincident with the safety.

What stocks fit MX12? My uneducated guess would be ones made for a MX8 or MX2000S with fixed trigger housings????

2. drgondog

drgondog Member

The actions with coil spring 'permanent' triggers have a smaller lower rear tang than the MX8/Mirage/MX3/MX2000/Comp 1 that have drop out triggers.

3. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Drop out trigger stocks will not fit the non-removable trigger receiver.(s)
    I think the s model brings lower prices used because trap shooters don't like them hence lower demand.

4. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

My SC buddies prefer the coil spring triggers of the MX 12 but I like the idea of drop out triggers. I have MX 8/2000 and my triggers are interchangable with my trap gun. If I have a trigger problem, I just pop in a different trigger . My understanding is that leaf spring triggers are more consistent than coil springs which weaken over time.

5. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

MX8/MX2000 is always a drop out trigger, with flat springs or coil springs. MX12/MX2000S are Perazzi's current models with fixed coil springs. They are cheaper because a separate trigger housing doesn't have to be machined so they cost less to manufacture. MX12/MX2000S receivers have wider top tangs and thinner bottom tangs than the MX8 so stocks are not interchangeable. Also, the MX12/MX2000S barrel monoblocks are slightly different in that they contain a small cutout at the bottom of the lower barrel to allow the firing pins to completely clear the monoblock when closing the gun (non-rebounding hammers on fixed trigger guns).

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

MX-12 is very popular outside the U.S., especially in the SC field. Standard barrel selector on safety switch is a big plus when you have to change firing orders often, because most people would forget to put on safety before switch. Then forget to put safety off after.

MX-12 has engravings around the borders of the frame, and trigger guard, forend iron. Same seashell sculpted receiver as MX-8. barrel interchange with all square monobloc O/U models. Stock only interchange with MX-2000S, MS'80, MX-16 and Granditalia, MX-5, MX-7, late model MT6 if you must.

There's a fairly new model MX-12/3 with adjustable rib on the market now.
    stevew_2008_0303225.jpg

BTW, 5 time Olympic medalist Kim Rhode won 4 Olympics with her MX-12 before she switch to her current MX-2000S.

7. Steve W

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Steve. I am considering an MX12 but it has a Soft Touch system installed and I hate those sorts of gizmos. Wondering how hard it is to find a Sporting stock to replace it. There are many drop-out-trigger stocks for sale.

9. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

MX12 may be less likely to crack a stock because less wood is removed from around the action (needed to accommodate the drop-out trigger plate). I just sold my MX12 (mistake) but some MX8s seem slimmer in the neck of the stock, so clearly the exact stock dimensions depend on what the customer ordered or om what the stocker of the day had for lunch.

Andrew.

10. Steve W

You're welcome claybrdr,

I understand what you are saying about the after market gizmos. I had couple uncut stocks before, right now I only have one sporting stock with recoil devise too.

Here're the differences between MX-8 and MX-12 stocks:

stevew_2008_0303226.jpg

11. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Steve, Is there really more wood in the neck of an MX12 or is just a myth?

Andrew.

12. Steve W

Andrew, yes, if both have the same grip size.

However, They do make smaller grips for MX-12 type stocks as an option. The one on Kim Rhode's original MX-12 when she was 15 had a much slimmer grip.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

MX12 can be ordered with a gold trigger instead of the plain jane blued trigger.

You can also order almost any rib configuration for the MX12 (ramped rib, flat rib, adjustable rib). I'm not sure if you can order the trap specific ribs like the "short rib" from the MX2005SR or the high trap rib from a MX2008, to put on a new gun order for a MX12.

14. Steve W

Yes you can.

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

MX 12 would be my choice I have several drop out trigger Perazzi's and one fixed trigger one and think the fixed trigger is better and then drop out triggers are prone to stress cracks in the stock trigger area. The real bonus is the barrel selector in the safety on the MX12 gun I am of the opinion the springs in the fixed trigger are different and less prone to fracture over time Steve W would know the differences.

16. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I LOVE the boarder engraving on the MX12. Very elegant but simple. It seems like you see a lot of SCO's and higher grade guns on the MX12 platform. I always figured this was due to the availability of the barrel selector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mx8 barrel
mx8 vs mx12
mx8 vs mx12 perrazi
perazzi mt6 vs mx8
perazzi mx12
perazzi mx12 sc3 vs mx8
perazzi mx12 vs mx8

perazzi mx8 vs mx12