1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX8 Special Combo ... Opinion and Value

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dave-320c, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Hi:

I have an opportunity to pick up a MX8 Special Trap combo, numbers matching including the trigger and stock. It is a 34" top single, and 32" O/U. It appears to be a one owner, purchased in 1982, serial number in the 69xxx. Briley series one chokes for all barrels. I would say overall about 97 or 98%.

Comes with the original case, tools, etc. Any known issues or flaws for this series?

Is this a good value at $5,000 or less?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Regards, and good shooting,

David

2. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

That's a good gun, so if it's what you want go for it!

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dave. If it was made in '82 I tis not a "Special" Those were frst made in about '87. The value of that gun you describe is right about $5000 with deductions fo rmodifications. Porting, stock gizmos etc. Adn if the bluing is worn it will often need to be spiff4ed up before it can be resold.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Ditto, MIA. Would also add that it has a step rib(s) which I don't personally care for. I much prefer the later MX8's w/ a ramp rib. You'll have to decide which you prefer.

5. dave-320c

Thanks to all for your comments and advise.

It is a Special, so I guess I had the date wrong; I now believe the seller said it was originally bought in '88.

No porting or stock gizmos, etc. Bluing is solid, as is the wood.

I am purchasing for my use, so my MX3 Special may be available.

Dave

6. dave-320c

Hi:

It does have the correct matching trigger, same serial number as the shotgun.

IMHO adjustable ribs are a benefit, if you can stop your self from constantly changing the rib height. A survey of what the big guns shoot would be interesting as to rib height and adjustability.

I should have it in 10 days with luck.

Again, thanks for all the comments. I have learned a lot in the last few days regarding P guns.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.