1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX8 Release Lever not staying open

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ceil, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceil

Ceil Member

I have a MX8 serial #42xxxx that the release lever will not stay to the right when the receiver is open. When closed the lever is to the right of center. How difficult is it to remove the release mechanism and clean/replace worn parts?
    Thanks Ceil

2. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I have never had one apart. Would recommend taking in to a qualified Perazzi shop. Good Luck.

Joe Woods/Ontario

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

first, pull the stock, barrel, and trigger. then flush that sucker out with cleaner, brake or carb. It may not be anything broken, just crud in the action.

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Sometimes the little plunger in the top lever will get dirty or rusty.

5. setter

setter Member

Ceil,

In all honesty, getting it apart is not all that difficult. The trouble starts on reassembly. Use BigM's approach. Buy or borrow the "Perazzi Gun Repair" tape.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

According to the seril number you have a top release type 3 gun. These are prone to having top lever problems. I would suggest you send the gun to someone like Giacomo for cleaning and service.

The little springs and plungers in the top release are a pain to get in and out. I have done it numerous times but its a pain.

TB

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Cecil- Sure sounds like dirt in the locking pins hole. I have found the two little pins and the spring very simple to get out. You simply turn the thing that looks like a screw but isn't a 1/4 turn, slowly lift out the top lever and then the pins and spring will fly across the room never to be seen again. They do come out easily.

If you get the two pins out and find them, clean up everything and put the pins in backward, it will not work.

Pat Ireland

8. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

It ain't designed to stay to the right when open.....only when closed. If not, its worn and should be fixed by someone like Giocomo [In New York] ph 315-336-1356.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hipshot3....FYI..The Perazzi lever IS designed to stay all the way to the right when the gun is open. Upon closing the gun, the breech of the barrel pushes in the rod at the top of the receiver that allows the lever to close.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. dward

dward Member

It involves taking the top lever out. The stock needs to be removed and the pin that holds the top lever in place needs to be removed. The spring loaded pin at the top of the receiver is what holds the top lever open, and it will try and shoot the spring back when the top lever is removed, so it's a good idea to have a towel over the receiver to keep it from going airborne.

As the pin at the top of the receiver is what holds the lever open, you can try cleaning it and trying to free it up. If it is already moving freely you'll need to take things apart.

Big Dan

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Dan......You are right! I had a brain fart there for a minute or two! Sorry!

12. Ceil

Ceil Member

Thank you for the information on the release lever. Does it take a special screwdriver to make the quarter turn on the plunger to remove the lever? The slot on the plunger is very narrow and the screwdrivers that would fit the slot were small enough that I could not make it turn. Also, should the lever be open or closed when trying to turn the plunger?
    Thanks Ceil

13. tab

tab Member

DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE FIRING PIN SPRINGS OUT. You can do it just don't force anything, if you got it right it will come apart just fine.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

CEIL: Do what Pat Ireland suggested. Only you do not have to tap the release lever all the way out.

CAREFULLY, and best done on a white sheet (parts tend to fly), tap the release lever from the underside with a punch... slowly, until the lever rises just enough to let the pin and spring (#5109 & 117) come out of the release lever. Then clean them and their pocket of residence, and also, remove the pin (#5108) from the face of the action and clean that recess area.

I have replacement parts, pins, springs, etc.

[​IMG]

Whiz

15. dward

dward Member

I agree with tab. Everything came apart pretty smoothly and once the pin that held the top lever and firing pins was out the lever came out by wiggling and lifting...no punch was required for mine. The pin behind the firing pins slides through a groove in the top lever which holds the top lever in. So in theory once that pin behind the firing pin is removed the top lever should freely slide up and out.

16. vdt

vdt Active Member

if you call me i will walk you threw it..905-690-2482 e-mail me first

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.