1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

MX8 in the Field? Anyone ever shot dove with one?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by watchknut, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchknut

watchknut TS Member

I am going on a trip the MS Delta for a dove hunt and I am tinkering with the idea of bringing my MX8 down as an extra gun to use if the birds, are well, out there. I have a standard MX8 Trap with 31.5" barrels bored I/M and M. I love shooting the gun and shoot it the best (sporting clays and 5 Stand) out anything that I own.

Given that it will not be my primary gun and that if the weather is anything but perfect it will sit in the Pelican case, I do not really see any reason not to bring it. Has anyone ever hunted with their trap gun? I mean I shoot this gun all year and swing best with it, might as well give it a shot.
  2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I don't think there is any law or rule against it ... Go for it, as long as it goes bang when you pull the trigger ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have for the most part used trap guns for hunting all my life. Field guns just shot to low and stocks were to low in profile. Many have been used from model 12's, a broadway, couple different perazzi's and so forth.

Just do it.
  4. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

My P gun is fairly heavy compared to my field gun, a Browning Superposed.

I certainly would not want to hunt quail with the Perrazi.
  5. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I'm fairly certain a former vice-president was using a 20g MX8 when an unfortunate incident happened.

HJH
  6. boomer

boomer Active Member

Actually HJH--I believe he was using an MX-28--the small framed--fixed trigger gun!
  7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

you are going to be shooting in a stationary position so using a heavy gun is not a problem....dove shooting, driven shooting, tower shooting....in all three scenarios, you are mostly in one spot at a given length of time.
  8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

No, but #1 son took his K-80 out small game hunting one time and returned home for an earfull!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.