1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX8 hammer spring - Is this how they all break?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

The other day when I removed the trigger and let down the hammers, after shooting 100 doubles, I noticed that the right side hammer spring was much weaker. The gun had functioned perfectly all day with no indication that anything was wrong. I saw that the spring had a hairline crack in it. Yesterday I fired 100 more doubles, with the cracked spring, and the gun functioned perfectly with no misfires. Take a look at the cracked spring. This is my first experience with a broken MX8 spring...and I had always assumed that when they break, they break completely in two and the gun quits firing.

Could some of you long time Perazzi shooters tell me if this is the normal way MX8 hammer springs break?
    [​IMG]

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Yes, that's pretty much what I've seen. Except usually the hairline crack is much less obvious. Maybe because you had it cracked long ago and kept shooting.

Marcello on this site is an expert on springs among other things, he can tell you what poundage you need to keep a spring working.

If you pay attention, sometimes you can feel the difference when you pull the trigger on a cracked spring.

Now I know what it looks like if you keep shooting it. LOL.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you get tired of broken Italian springs you can get a K-80, Germans make very good springs. HMB

4. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

HMB said "When you get tired of broken Italian springs you can get a K-80, Germans make very good springs."

On my new K80 at about 20,000 rounds, I started having trouble with the bottom barrel not firing 3 out of every 100 shots, progressively got worse to about 5 out of 100. I tried to look inside to see what was wrong, but couldn't see anything wrong. About drove me crazy. Sent it to the gunsmith, 3 weeks and $178 later got it back with new hammer springs and now works great.

With my MX8, I replaced the spring, myself, in 30 seconds from my parts kit that came with the new gun and, at the same time, ordered a new one from Whiz White for $48 delivered, will be here Tuesday.

Having both K80 and Perazzi, which are both high quality guns, I much prefer the mechanical design of the Perazzi.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I wish that Marcello would market a "flat spring scale" so we could monitor the tension loss over time/use.
    It could also be used to match springs to help both pull and release trigger shooters get the greatest parity between springs.

6. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

I have about 19,800 shells through my new MX8 when I noticed the cracked spring, pictured above. The thing that amazed me the most was how the gun continued to function perfectly, with no misfires, even with a cracked spring. I wonder how far it would have gone if I had just left it in the gun until it quit firing?

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The trigger on my wifes superior "German" made K80 required an after market set of thru pins due to the inability of the keepers to remain in place. Perazzi simplicity suits me better thanks, Jake

8. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

"When you get tired of broken Italian springs you can get a K-80, Germans make very good springs. HMB"

..........and when you get tired of that slower lock time you can go back to that Perazzi. l.g.

9. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

Perazzi springs are made with 21Kg of "strength" but they will work with a minimum of 13 Kg for this reason sometime even if it is cracked will make the gun go off.
    The problems about Perazzi springs are not how they are made but the way they work in the trigger. I really doubt that Germans can make better springs, they can make the best military weapons but not springs.
    The Italian spring manufactures make a lot springs for German companies.

10. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I'm with SSTG- I've had an MX5 for 12 years and never broken a coil spring, and just ordered a new MX2005 with coils.
    I have tried shooting a Perazzi with leaf springs, and for the reliability I couldn't tell any difference in lock time.

11. MOP

MOP Active Member

The only problem with the Perazzi coil spring triggers is that the spring guides break occasionally. I have had two break over about 15 years and Lord knows how many rounds.

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Here's a picture Marcello sent me long time ago, showing how he test the poundage of Perazzi springs in his work shop in Italy.

[​IMG]

All copy rights belongs to Marcello.

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Change the hammer springs yearly and you won't have a problem.

14. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Isn't there a TS contributor that makes P-gun springs, firing pins, action lock stuff, etc???

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Or you can ditch all that foreign made stuff and buy an American made Kolar.

Since 2004 over 100,000+ rounds and no problems. I'm almost ready to send it in for it's first annual service.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Realizing that 12 of the 15 medals won in the shooting part of the Olympics were won with Perazzi's. I didn't see but one K guns... anyone who is no "enlightened" to the Perazzi spring issue is, well, clueless.

Your spring breaks in the typical space. This is where the vibration of the spring ends, that is to say where the spring is statically mounted in/to the housing. That is where 99% of them break, and should break.

The NICE thing about leaf springs is that the DO BREAK. That is the tell-tale sign that it needs replacing-da! I ship Perazzi springs all over the world to shooters, some are big, big time shooters. In fact, in some countries like Australia and South Africa, they shoot their guns so much, I constantly ship rebuild parts to them. They are 100% content in shooting the P guns, and would not change to any other brand, for reasons mentioned herein.

Some of the Perazzi's had/have (can be special ordered) with coils. Problem with the coils is that do ON NOT break; they just get weaker and weaker and weaker. Pretty soon you find yourself missing targets, so then you start changing techniques; gun holds, stance, follow-through, etc. Then someone asks when's the last time you changed them, then you do, and presto, you are back in the groove.

I had this happen to me with my first Perazzi, a TM1, in 1974. Bought it at the Grand after winning some money. Later, I started to miss targets because I shot so fast, the hammer was not hitting hard on some shells. Then one of my Perazzi shooting squad mates asked the proverbial question: <i>"When's the last time you change the trigger spring."</i>

ALL springs lose tension the first minute they are installed, whether it be coils or leafs. To me it's like changing oil, or balancing your tires. You NEED to do that regularly and not because you have to, but because it depends on the use of the vehicle... or gun.

Perazzi's are designed to be shot, and have the hell shot out of them. Then, you can, through design, rebuild the gun to specs. Kim Rhode shoots a 12 year old Perazzi, and that gal shoots 1000 round A DAY. You think she waits until something happens (reactive), or through regular maintenance (proactive).

Some other guns, such as the K guns have so many parts in them, it's a nighmare to even think about it. Perazzi's are simple to repair or rebuild. When you wear out a Browning, you send it into the factory and wait... that is if you've not added a non-Browning accessory. They will not work on any gun that had even had its recoil pad altered.

I just have to laugh when someone say go to a K gun or some other gun because the leaf springs break. They don't have a clue on the gun's successes.

It takes, what, 1 minute to change the spring and they cost a whopping $43.39. On a $10,000 gun, that's pretty negligable. It's like on a $40,000 vehicle, you are hesitant to spend the $40 to change the oil.

Whiz

17. daddiooo

Gee Whiz,

I was only kidding. I happen to have 2 P guns. One broke while laying in the case. LOL

My hats off to those who can shoot doubles and change springs in between pairs.

18. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Thanks Whiz for the information. I have an MX-8 that I bought in 1978 and of course I have had a few broken hammer springs. Had Giacomo replace a locking bolt and tune it up a few years ago when he was at the Missouri Fall Handicap.

It has served me well and I am still shooting it. I don't know how many shells has gone through it but a lot I am sure.

I understand what you mean about the "re-build" explanation also.

Thanks again,
    Allen

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Or one can buy a Blaser for unbelievable handling and lock time, fantastic triggers, and no need to have a Blaser 'smith or parts guy on Speed Dial. LOL

20. daddiooo

good one coach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hammer v springs perazzi mx8

mx 8 left hammer

perazzi mx8 hammer springs

perazzi mx8 spring