1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX8 Cracked hammer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by st8shuter, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

my favorite perazzi mx8 has developed a cracked bottom barrel hammer, do these have to be fitted or can i replace myself? also how much am i looking at?
    thanking you in advance

2. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

st8shuter

You can simply replaced it yourself if you have a tool to take the leaf spring out. It won't take over a few minutes to do the job. A new hammer will fit in your housing but the trigger pull may or may not have to be adjusted to suit you.

I have had and seen many hammers with a crack in them that have been welded and are still going strong which might be another option you can look at.

The cost varies for a new one...some where between $90 and $125 to the best of my memory.

Mark Rounds

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

What vintage MX 8? I believe I still have some for the older style ie. w/ the "web" on the side.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pull or release ? This makes a big difference. I can put in a hammer easily. Getting the trigger pull where I want it takes some skill and that leaves me behind.

Pat Ireland

5. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

is this common to p guns?

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A cracked hammer is more common on TM1 type guns with a coil spring. The hammer on the MX guns doesn't have the same stress point with the leaf spring. I had a welded hammer in my coil spring TMX trigger and it lasted for over 10 years. I bought a leaf spring trigger for it at Sparta last year.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

More hammers are destroyed by "gunsmiths" than by actual use.. When cutting the hammers for hooks.. Somegunsmith soften them.. then reharden them to hard.. The #1 cause of cracked hammers.. At the "Grand" this year.. I did not see one cracked hammer.. I did see a few ruined by tinkerers..

Dan.. at Giacomo's has hammers in stock.. Replacement is not difficult..tuning the trigger after that is a art form to itself.. best left to experts..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.