1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mx8 combo opinions/value

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by newcastle, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcastle

newcastle Member

Hi have a chance to purchase a nice mx8 combo 32/34, just wondering if theres anything I need to be aware of,serial number, updates, bore size ect, Also what would be a good price for a mx8 combo in decent condition 90/95%. Thanks

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Are the ribs loose (partiularly a problem w/ the Ithaca vintage)

3. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

have giacomo take a look at it... I wish I would have had him take a look at my mx-8 combo before I bought it

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Have to know the era and condition to estimate. Decent condition old gun low 4s. Jake

5. newcastle

newcastle Member

serial number 46405, type3. pic added

6. newcastle

newcastle Member

all numbers match.

7. newcastle

newcastle Member

one more pic

8. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting gun. I bought one in 1979. Ser. # 520XX.
    My chechering is different.

Joe Woods/Ontario

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Came originally with two removable triggers. One to shoot top first/bottom second and another to shoot bottom first/top second. If it doesn't have both triggers you will need to buy another trigger. I would suggest buying a "Special selective" so you may use it for both barrel sets.

Engraving looks to be fair to poor in quality and doesn't add anything to the value. Actually I think it detracts in this case.

The buttstock looks like a Perazzi or a decent stock manufacturer's replacement (plain, like most out-of-the-box MX8's of that era. The forend looks like the original with some cobbled-up checkering. If it is original it will have the serial number from Perazzi. If not it's a replacement.

Others here have told you to check the rib for loosening. Good idea but also check the "side ribs" for loosening as well. If any are loose they will need to be resoldered - a fairly expensive process often needing to separate barrels and ribs to prepare for soft soldering and rebluing that will become necessary. Sometimes these loose areas are small though and the gun wont have to have a complete barrel redo.

Even though the gun looks like it may have had "checkered past" the face of the top firing pin hole looks good. If the bottom firing pin hole looks that good, at least the receiver hasn't been shot much.

Also, make sure your exsisting trigger is the more modern, heavy framed version. The older types have less material in the frame and often "flexed" becoming inconsistent or worse. Some were OK but many where not. This also affects the value of the gun.

MX8's of this era usually felt a lot different between the Ou's and the top single barrel. It is good that you have the split adjustable stock because you will need it to achieve the sight picture you want for each barrel (they are different).

It will probably be a great shooter but it is not worth top dollar.

10. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I think it has also been reblued. Look at the close up of the barrels at the breach. I agree about the engraving. It is aftermarket and detracts from the value. Also, if the barrels have been worked on that will detract. Jake

11. newcastle

newcastle Member

Thanks much for info everyone, I'm going to stick with the guns I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.