1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX8 care after shooting in rain

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Say that you have just finished a days shooting in a tournament where you had to shoot all day in a heavy rain....How do you care for your MX8 at the end of the day (dry,oil,lube)?

2. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Were you at Hood River this past weekend by chance?

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't have a MX8 or any other Perazzi at that but do often shoot in rain. I first strip the gun down as far as i'm comfortable with. I always remove the stock. I start with air from my air compressor and blow any water out. I then coat spray WD-40(excellent water repellant) all over the metal. I wipe it down good and coat with Rem Oil and let all soak in that for half a day. I wipe my stock and forearm down with furniture polish. I make sure my stock has dried inside and out before reassambly. I carefully reassemble the gun wiping all old grease/oil off and replace with new. After reassembled, i lightly spray all metal down with Rem Oil again and lightly wipe. Leave the gun in my gun rack for the rest of the day and then put back in the safe the next morning. this includes a normal cleaning of the barrel and choke. This is how i've managed to prevent rust on my Trap Guns after shooting in rain/snow.

Matt

4. porky

porky TS Member

Tractorboy, Take the stock off,drop the trigger out, take the iron off of the forearm wood, remove choke tube if you have them. Take your air compressor and blow off all the parts and wood to remove any water that you can. Spray down with WD40 to remove moisture on all metal parts. Finish wood by wiping off. Work firing pins in reciever and any other part in reciever, to get the WD40 into them. Then blow off WD40 with air compressor. Clean and lube all parts,including iron and barrels and choke tubes. Water will win out if you are not diligent in the care of your MX8. I do this to all my guns,Brownings,Remingtons, Kreighoff's included. It seems like a lot of work, but it will keep them rust free.

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Ditto!

Buz

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Absolutely agree with Get-ER-Done. The high pressure air is very important.

WW

7. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Thanks for the input guys, but I have a couple of more questions. I noticed while shooting in the rain that it seemed that a lot of the water was running down the top strap of the receiver and going under the top lever and down into the top lever cavity. Should I force some WD40 under the top lever and down into this cavity area? What should I lube this top lever cavity area with once the WD40 has evaporated? This is a new gun that has only been fired 350 times and I think Perazzi has this cavity area lubed with a cream colored grease. I suspect that this cavity area now has a mixture of water and the cream colored grease that Perazzi put in there when the gun left the factory. What do I do?

8. porky

porky TS Member

This is where the air compressor is so important and the WD40. First, get a towel and a retractable key ring holder that clips on you belt. Wear it, especially when it rains. Throw the towel over the reciever between shots to keep excess water out.

After blowing out the reciever and flushing it with WD40 and then blowing off the WD40, use a good oil to lubricate the top lever. If you are inclined to use a form of grease, you can lube it with a cycle chain lube. That will flow and remain liquid for a while and then solidify a bit. Remember the towel in the future because it will save you a tremendous amount of headaches. I'm sure that others have equally as good ideas for your problem

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Just curious...was shooting in a soaking rain that much fun and worth it? I have a good ol' 870 handy in case I ever decide I just gotta or have to shoot in the rain or snow...very easy to strip down, dry out, and lube. I doubt if my scores would be any different - maybe better - than if I used Perazzi....I would be focused too much on soaking and cleaning it. But that's just me. Best Regards, Ed

10. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Remove the stock if possible. Depending on the type of finish on your stock, you may be OK to get the alcohol on the finish, but test in a small area first. Buy a quart of alcohol at Home Depot in the paint department. Way cheaper than using a ton of WD-40. Alcohol is water soluable. It is what is in products used to dry childrens (or adults) ears out when water is stuck in the ear.

Pour the alcohol all over the receiver and blow it out if possible. If you do not have an air compressor, it is OK, just stand the receiver up and let the alcohol run out. You can then spray with your WD-40 knowing that you removed the water completely and lubricate and protect the metal as normal.

11. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Soak it down with Baracade it displaces water. Then dry it and lube as usual.

12. loop02

loop02 Member

It is probably ruined, but I will take it off your hands, maybe I can salvage a part or two.$200.00 you pay shipping

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm with Bill G. Birchwood Casey's Barricade (formerly Sheath) is a great product. I wipe the metal down with it after every use. This makes rain clean-up much easier. Good stuff. I only shoot in the rain if it starts after I do.

14. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I'd completely agree with those who say field strip and use compressed air. Also, look for moisture trapped in/on grease or oil. Water gets everywhere which is why you should blow it out. I generally remove as much oil as possible to get out trapped dirt and garbage, then re-lubricate and go shoot. Yeah, it's time consuming but that's why I have a TV & DVD player at the workbench. Nice relaxing evening. HJH

15. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Thanks for the help guys....I've gone through the process of WD40 spraying and soaking, compressed air blow dry, re-spray with Rem oil. Everything looks pretty good now except looking at the bottom of the receiver at the little hole in the locking bolt I can see up into the top lever cavity and it looks like there may still be some moisture up in there. I think that I'm going to have to remove the top lever and thoroughly clean the top lever cavity to be sure that I've gotten rid of all the moisture. I'm afraid that the grease up in there still has moisture trapped in it. Is top lever removal something that I can do without having to have special tools..I'm fairly mechanically inclined?

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

tractorboy--If you can see up in there spray some WD or Rem Oil up there and i mean heavy. Then blow with air again. I would think you should be able to get any or all moisture out that way. I too am mechanically inclined but i wouldn't tackle the top lever for the first time without some help. Just my 2c anyway.

Matt

17. ismah

ismah Member

Tractor Boy, Be sure to check your compressor before using it on your gun. Some compressors shoot out water formed by condensation in the tank. Blow it on something white to see if you get any liquid. If you do, open the drain below the tank, tilt it and let it set for about 24 hours. Another thing, I've had some bad results using WD-40 and switched to Kroil Oil. It also is a Water Displacer and seems to have better results.

18. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

While away from home I've used the hair dryer in the hotel set on cool or low to blow out/dry off water.
    good luck
    Gavin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.