1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX8 Action Disassembly

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hooligan, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

I hope someone may be able to help. Maybe Steve W or Perazzi Big Bore?? I have done quite a lot of work on Berettas and taking an action apart presents no problem
    however I want to strip an MX8 and remove the H Locking Bolt and the top lever components. It appears relatively simple however like most other things there are probably a few tricks to learn. I have replaced firing pins OK and taken down
    a couple of trigger groups but never completely stripped the action. I would be happy to buy a book if one is available anywhere. I am a bit reticent to attack it if there is something I should know first. Any help will be appreciated. The actual
    gun is an O/U MX8 Olympic Trap.
    Merry Christmas to all.

Barry

2. atexaspete

atexaspete Member

Bryce,
    How do you remove the top lever spring and slotted holder?
    Thanks,
    Mike

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

When you put the top lever out from the hole in the locking bolt.. the housing for the top lever return spring.. with spring will pop out.. The slot IS NOT A SCREW.. It's to show you you are in allignment to reinstall the top lever..

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Don't you need to depress the plunger housing the top lever return spring to loosen the top lever for removal? I have a tool for that operation.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Make sure you have a rag over the top lever when you start to remove it. You have a small spring and the top lever lock trip that will fly a few miles to unknown places.

6. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

Barry,

I sent you a PM (private message) via this board. Please fell free to contact me if you have any issues.

Merry Christmas

Ron Schroer
    Sun City, TX

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Barry, seems you already got all the good answers. As Bryce said, Perazzi are very well designed for easy to work on.

As for working on anything with springs, I put the object inside a plastic box with opening facing myself so I can retrieve any flying springs & plungers. The box for guns needs to be much larger than the ones used by watch makers.

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Thanks to all for taking the time. I will pull it apart over Christmas.
    Thanks

Barry

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

To remove the top lever.. after removing the trigger and cross pin that holds the firing pins in place...and if a cat4..the locking bolt/top lever catch..(the wedge on the right hand side).. you use a small punch.. and lightly tap thru the hole in the locking bolt.. You'll see the top lever come up.. As you go more.. you'll disengage the top lever return spring and the spring and housing will fly out the back.. This is true in a cat 3 or 4 receiver.. If you have an older cat3.. the springs and plunger in the top lever will also go flying.. if you keep your hand over the top.. while pushing from the bottom.. you might catch the parts.. They are small.. When you reinstall the top lever and parts.. you'll need to allign the top lever and top lever return spring housing just right to snap the top lever in correctly.. With a cat3.. you'll need to put the top lever plunger and springs in the top lever..while pushing the top lever return spring housing to just the right amount.. There is a tool that make that task much easier..
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.