1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX3 vs MX8

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by laura!, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laura!

laura! Member

Just wondering if anyone has shot both and what they think. I shoot an MX3 and it's a pretty flat shooting gun. Anyone know if the MX8 is just as flat or if it shoots higher?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I also shoot an MX3 for Doubles and both barrels shoot pretty flat but that is OK for me, as I set my comb to see a bit of rib between the beads. I think most MX8's are also relatively flat shooters.

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

They both shoot where they shoot. If you want them to shoot higher, raise the comb and see more rib.

Of course, the new P-guns with adjustable ribs are a different story.

Jake

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've had both. They both shot flat for me. I recently bought an MX2000 adjustible rib barrel for trap doubles on my MX8. I already had a PFS on the gun, so raising the comb is not going to be a problem. I plan to send the single barrel to Moneymaker and change the rib so the PFS trap comb height stays put when shooting the single barrel ( I need 100% POI). The single barrel has always shot way too flat for me. I bought an additional PFS comb for shooting sporting with my other flatrib barrels. I can change barrels and combs, and ready to go.
    If you want good scores, the guns gotta shoot where you look.

5. laura!

laura! Member

Thanks for the responses. I have been slowly raising my comb (also use a PFS) but the mile of rib seems cumbersome. I shoot with a 32" barrel, but am seriously considering switching to a 34" since the additional barrel length smooths me out more than adding a weight. Has me thinking about a new gun since the only original componant of my MX3 would be the reciever and since the reciever has rounded mono blocs (is that what they're called?) they have to be rebuilt every couple of years. And of course there's no such thing as having too many guns : )

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I like your attitude... "no such thing as having too many guns". If you like a top single, the MX10 adjustible rib is the answer. And of course you can get the double barrel with an adjustible rib as well. Since I received the MX2000 adjustible rib double barrel, I've noticed there is quite a bit of difference in the feel and balance of the 2 barrels. The MX8 flat ribbed barrel is heavier and seems to "followthru" easier. It has factory chokes. The MX2000 barrel, being lighter and higher profiled, feels completely different. It has Briley thinwall chokes. It can feel a little "whippy". If possible, try to shoot the different barrels before you buy.
    On a doubles gun, weight, balance, and "feel" are everything.

7. laura!

laura! Member

All great information. Thank you.
    Laura

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mx3 vs mx8 tv box