1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX3 vs MX8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by carv, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carv

carv Member

I would like to know the difference between these two guns. I was looking for a MX8 combo for the wife but came across a nice MX3 Special combo, I can’t see any difference. What would be the approximate value, 34 / 32 top single? Gun is in very good condition 90% with two pull triggers.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You can buy the MX-3 considerably cheaper but none the less they are good guns ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Nutso

Nutso Member

An MX 3 Special is mechanically the same as a MX-8, the only real difference is shell sided MX-8. MX-3 Specials can be a very hot commodity and are more rare than MX-8's, while there are tons of MX-8's out there for sale--so shop around.

A MX-3 Standard is constructed more like a Beretta, with a round action and no mid rib on the O/U barrels. However they still have the balance and quality workmanship of all Perazzi products.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The MX3 has a higher rib than the MX8 + what Nutso said. $4500+ is typical asking price.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Go for the special. Don't look back!

6. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Nutso pretty much nailed it. The MX-8 is the standard action for Perazzi. The key features are the locking mechanism between the monoblock of the barrels and the receiver. The barrels are "keyed" to lock into the receiver, in addition to having the locking block that is activated by the top lever. It is very strong and precise.

The MX-3 does not have the "keyed" barrels, they are commonly called round mono blocks and the only locking feature is the lever actuated locking block. It is still a very nice mechanism, very strong and similar in function to the 680 series of Berettas.

The MX-3 Special shares the MX-8 keyed barrels. It just doesn't have the sculpted receiver like an MX-8. The sides are flat/smooth and the edges are round. An MX-8 has the signature Perazzi "sea shell" sculpting on the sides.

The MX-3 and the MX-15 were supposed to be entry level Perazzis, so they are lower cost and plainer than the MX-8, MX-10, MX-12 or MX-2000/2005/2008.

7. carv

carv Member

Comparing the two barrels the ribs are different heights. The over/under is matching serial numbers and the rib is 15/32 high off the barrel. The top single barrel is not numbers matching and the rib is 21/32 high off the barrel. This poses a problem for my wife as she can not see the beads at all on the single barrel if set up for the over under. Changing the comb when switching barrels is not an option, so I guess I’ll pass on the gun.

8. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Carv:

I have a MX3 Special Combo, 34/32. Both barrels are MX3 Special, so the same rib height. It has a factory MX10 stock with adjustable comb. The top single (with factory chokes) is numbers matching to the receiver; the O/U is s/n close and fitted by Lucio and so marked.

Mechanically excellent with new locking block, firing pins, springs etc from Lucio at Perazzi USA about nine months ago.

The receiver and fore end iron need rebluing.

I am asking $4100 plus shipping and insurance to your FFL.

If you would like additional information and pictures, please email me.

Regards, and good shooting, Dave

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

They typically shoot top/bottom and the O/U are choked accordingly.

It is/was the cheapest Perazzi made.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I would choose MX-3 Special over an MX-8 cuz I like the rib better. My regular MX-3 has a slightly different sight picture between the O/U barrel set (more rib shows) than the add on Universal monobloc Single barrel but I'm happy with the POI of each. The O/U shoots about 6" high and the Single barrel shoots about 9" high at 40 yards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mx3 or mxq

mx3 vs mxq

mx8 vs mxq
mxq or mx8

mxq vs mx3

mxq vs mx8
perazzi mx3 vs mx8
what is the difference between mxq and mxq 10 box