1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX3 RS Special is born. Viewing only

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ran amuck since I cracked my TMX stock. Found a new gun in a MX2000, but the stock bit me on the shoulder. Some of you have had shoulder abrasions and know what it is like to have a bloddied shoulder. So put thogether this gun form parts and I shoot it tomorrow for the first time. I did try this gun with anothr stock yesterday and it shot 24" high. I prefer about 12" (4-5" at 13 yards). So this gun is made form parts I had around the place.

RS bbl traded from a fellow for a similar Wilkinson top MX10. His daughter (ATA All American) is now shooting a MX10 RS combo I had. We did a trigger swap too.

Receiver is a JoeHunter MX3 Special swap he and I made. I had the unit refurbed by Doug Braker the "Gun Dr". He reblued it, springs and such. Did a trigger too, but tha tis in my parts box.

Bobby Emerick (Scattergun stocks) stock I got off the TS.com from Jcshooter. He and I do stuff. In fact my TMX came from Jcshooter. Wonderful item. Does not bite me at all, but too high for my fave MX2000 and it fits super on this custom assembly.

Precision Gold Trigger. Came with a gun I bought from out East. Was on a gun that Amerigo Pagliaroli owned. He passed but not before winning the Grand American handicap, and retiring from Remington Arms as a shooting Rep fo r30+ years. Great item, and wonderful transaction with a Nephew I believe.

Forend is just an item I had around. If this gun shoots, I'll put a fancier model on the gun.

Had several as new Perazzi cases around and thi sgun gets the best of the lot.

Take a look and tell me what you think... the RS bbl makes this gun and it is a 18.4 Wilkinson .740/.035 usual. Sight was bounced off... I added the green light gathering sight. Ilike them. Do I shoot them well. Well have to see.

The gun in pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics to follow. Wife just got home and I have chores

NFS (yet)

2. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Great looking cross bred! Shoot it well buddy!

3. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jack

Proud PAPA.I hope you shoot it well, very nice creation.Are you shooting the MX15 at all?

John G.

4. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

have a mx3 spc myself and was going to add a adj rib top single to it. i hope you shoot it as good as it looks.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Great looking gun Jack!!

Hap

6. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

That is the prettiest "mutt" I've ever seen. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. BYG

7. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

jack, nice lookin gun, if you don't shoot it well send it to me , i'll see if i can train it for you!!Joe

8. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Good luck with this one Jack.

Rick in MT

9. JACK

I'll let you know how it shoots today. I lowered the POI by about 8". I will pattern board this unit today when the club opens and shoot it in the hcp event for the MN Zone championships at the Minneapolis Gun Club.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    But this think looks like a shooter and is very well balanced. Maybe a little quick in front, but that makes for a slower release trigger sensation. Adn one of the advantages to switching guns in the Perazzi family is that you can use the trigger your brain is accustomed to. If I got the POI right, the birds will break readily.

10. JACK

John G. Actually the MX15 is being shot by one of the trap help girls at he club. She was tyring to shoot a short ass-kickin O/U and I put the MX15 in her hands for the summer. Likely, I'll spiff it up after tha and then who knows?

Sportshot... the neat thisng about this gun is "The Story". Included a past and a present ATA All-Americans, a off the cuff even up trade for a bbl with a MN All State shooter, A second purchase from a guy that is at Cardinal shooting right now...

BYG... Good looking "Mutt" tho...

I assembled this gun out of what I considered a necessity. My current gun was not set up just right and it was chafing my shoulder. I tend to shoot a bit "heads up" but not intentionally and the toe of some stocks eats at my shoulder. The I found this Scattergun stock and it solved that problem but created a gun that shot too high and by a lot to high. Adn I do not have that many years left to waste putting a new POI in my brain. So I set about to make a gun based on the RS bbl I traded for. Adn Tried that bbl on 4 different receivers and it fit perfectly broken in on this MX3 Special. I had a couple more to try, but when the MX3 worked out, I knew I was in business. Now if it shoots as good as it looks, I'll hve a gun for the summer. Adn likely I will send off my fave MX2000 to Scattergun along with a nice black Walnut set of blanks on the way in now. It takes two months, but a black walnut set in Scattergun style, nickel MX2000 recvr and my fave MX2000 CT bbl. Hope I live long enough to shoot it. Prob will. We all miss our buddy Mike... PBB.

Jack

11. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

MIA, Thanks for mentioning Mike, i sure do miss my talks with him , he was a wealth of knowledge about the P guns, hope you shoot it well.Joe

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I notice a great deal of drop on thi stock. You mentioned that the toe of your other gun was digging in to your shoulder. Did you have any face slap with the other gun as well?

13. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Love the gun jack

14. JACK

No face slap. the Wenig fit to a T except the shoulder abasion. The lowered toe on the Scattergun fixed that. But th Scattergun was about 3/16" too high fo rmy regualr MX2000 (Not RS) And the RS bbl did nto fit on my MX2000 recvr. Hence this set up

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I don't know how you could miss with that gun, Jack?

Should have pictured it with a fine bottle of wine. LOL. Jon

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Looks nice Jack. Hope you shoot it well. It looks like a shooter.

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jack.... What in the hell are you doing? I can see building that gun from any of the other MX series receivers, that's what we tinkerers do, right? But you NEVER, NEVER, EVER, mess with an MX3 Special like that. Do her a favor and return her to what she was born to be: The best damn trap gun Perazzi ever made. I would like to see a bunch of us MX3 Special shooters post some pictures of this really fine shotgun. If all the Special owners love their gun as I do, we can't help prettying her up for the next dance, you know what I mean? The trap Gods will get your for screwing with it, Jack, you"ll see. I think that, in order to save you from some serious trap slumps, and some really, really poor scores, I will help you rid yourself of the problem parts and help you right a terrible wrong. Send me only the MX3 Special parts, and I will cleanse them and lock them in my gun safe so no one can get them..... Just a thought, ya know?.... Dan

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

sweet. now stain that deck

19. JACK

We tried a lot of things to get the green out of the deck. Last stained about 4 years ago. I think it is about time to replace the decking and the rail. The structure is in good shape.

Dan. Actually I am watching for the right bbl to go on that receiver. I will have a new stock made this fall for one of my guns. I think my TMX is the more likely candidate although I do have a suitable replacement for that now. But I have too many bullets thru the MX2000 to think about returning to that before the season ends.

The gun above shot just fine today. The balance and speed were much to my personal liking but it was faster and that makes the trigger slower. Adn I shoot birds when I get to them as opposed to "aiming" or developing a "sustained lead". So the score suffered.

At this point I am going to deconstruct this gun and get rid of some of the parts. the RS bbl is a start. My vision likes the lower non step rib of the regular unsingle MX2000. My timing is more tuned to the weight and swing of the MX2000 as well. So, the anticipation of having finally put the "summer gun" together is all I got. Adn that lasted a day.

I need to take an eigth off the comb of this stock. I[ll call my buddy Doug today and see if he can shave a bit off the cut and not the comb. He's busy tho...

20. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Perazzi Big Bore would be Proud of You !

ernie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.