1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX3 miss fires

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Aug 4, 2013.

1. gordy h

gordy h Active Member

My MX 3 miss fires about 2 rounds out of 100 the primer is hit very light.
    If I try it over they fire, is it the gun or primer?

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Are they new shells or reloads?

Ajax

3. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem with new Estates and re-loads in a P GA1.

Will have springs and fireing pins looked at at he Grand...but curious.

4. gordy h

gordy h Active Member

yes they are reloads, but used the same load for years. mette56 let me know what they say at the grand.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had an occasional misfire with my MX-3. I replaced the firing pin return springs along with a good cleaning and problem solved. Caution, follow Whiz White's instructions exactly on which direction to move the pin or else it is a real pain to replace the firing pins. Don't ask how I know.

6. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

i WENT AROUND/AROUND ON THIS ONE myself,2 outta 100 misfires
    are you using WOLFS?
    they are the hardest,and if your P gun springs are even slightly marginal,itll show up on them.
    There are little tricks,like clipping the FP coils 1 or 2 coils,or filing back the stop on the firing pin itself,or getting one of marcellos GUILIANI beautiful flat springs,or all of the above.Even just the rehab kits,just replace the whole effin` thing,you dont know how much one of these bben shot b4 you.but I wanted to be able to use everything out here with 100pct reliability.
    Actually in fact, my wolf primers are gone,Ive nevr had an incidence since,.

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

If you get a light dent when it misfires, and it fires on your second attempt, logically, it's not the primers or the ammo. It's time for a thorough cleaning and perhaps spring replacement, it seems to me.

Just went through this with a Perazzi. In my case, the firing pins were all gunked up.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It may be the gun, or it may be as simple as the primers are on the boarder line as to the seating depth. A trait of primers not seated to the proper depth would be the first strike seats the primer against the primer pocket shoulder and the next time it fires.

Good luck,

Ajax

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I had a batch of Winchester primers that the primer itself (not the primer in the shell) was seated to deep from factory. It was just a millimeter but that was enough to get it out of reach of firing pin. May not be your problem but thought it would be worth a look see.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Clean all of the trigger assembly, of course ... but also pay special attention to the cocking rod that travel through the bottom of the receiver. It is often neglected and can get sticky and it wont return to it's "home" position. When it sticks and doesn't return to it's home position, the trigger assembly is forced to drive it back to it's home position and use up some of the energy needed to hit the firing pins.

Remove it and scrub out the dove tail groove in the receiver and wipe off the rod and clean out the hole that the return spring sets in. Re lube with a light oil and reassemble, making sure that it now moves freely back to it's "home" position.

WARNING! To remove the cocking rod you need to remove a screw that resides between the "fork" of the rod. This screw holds both a pin and a coil "return" spring and will go flying if you don't retain it. Be careful. Be sure to clean this spring and pin too. Relube with a drop of light oil.

Usually the light hits and misfires disappear. Good luck.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Remove the cocking bar, lay it on a flat surface and see if it has a small, nard to notice, bend in it.

These happen when the treigger is not 100% installed in the receiver, and then the gun is cocked. It bends the cocking bar.

This is a GOOD cause for light hits.

WW