1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX3 info appreciated

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by harrkidd, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harrkidd

harrkidd TS Member

was looking for MX8 special ,but considering an mx3 combo ,34 single F , 31 1/2 M/F w/ factory adj. comb, no porting...for sale online that appears to be in real nice condition ( 97%).. asking $5500. i know top firing first .. not fimiliar with trigger .. any and all info / opinions greatly appreciated !! thanks in advance ...

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

For that kind of money.. buy a MX-8.. MUCH stronger setup.. easier to find barrels if you ever want to change them.. All Good.. Mike BTW.. the MX3 is not a bad set up.. just the square mono-block is a better setup.. A MX3 SPECIAL is the same as a MX-8..receiver.. with the MX3 rib height.. a GREAT compromise..

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

my updated MX3 from the mid 80's
    [​IMG]
    My gun has later Wood from a MX3 Special. the comb is aftermarket.the trigger is fro a MX3 Special. Has internal selector and an Allor DR. NFS

4. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

I wouldn't worry about the square vs round barrel block. As noted by others you will find a high avalibility of square block barrels. The MX-3 will feel a bit lighter, and thus faster. The MX-8 balance point is a bit forward when compared to the MX-3--not much though, this priamily due to the fact that the MX-8 has a mid rib, while the MX-3 does not--the barrels are seperated. The MX-3 rib is a bit different, maybe a bit highter with a ramp, while the MX-8 is flat or with a step.

I have an Mx-3 skeet gun, and am waiting anxiously for my combo to arrive.

I looked far and wide for a good MX-3 combo, and found one from WPT by way of MIA.

The secert when looking for any used gun, espeically an MX-3, is to bit patient.

5. high 2

high 2 Member

I`ve got a nice MX3 skeet with Briley sub-gauge tube set for sale if anyone is interested. Larry

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

$5,500.00 ..? Thats a lot of Money for an MX-3 no matter how nice it is ... That means I gave the one away that I sold compared to those numbers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

The $5500 MX3 must be the one that Pacific sporting has-It's been for sale for a year. They are the highest priced dealer and they charge 15 % for consignment sales!I'm not a fan of them after a couple of purchases from them. The new guy does not represent the store owner well.

8. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

harrkid

$5,500 is a lot for a MX3. You might want to look around some more. They are out there if you have patience. I bought a very nice combo set from Bob Schultz a few years ago for a lot less.

Vince McNamara

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

if it is the Pacific gun it has modern wood on it. They get the wood wholesale and make out at both ends. Sounds like they got life figured out.

10. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

I have dealt with Pacific and only talk with the owner John.
    I have had reasonably prices and good service.

ernie

11. NJFlyer

NJFlyer Member

I have shot over ten thousand Flyer loads and at least that much between trap and sporting thru my MX-3. Never had a problem.
    Ken

12. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I bought this MX3 top single from flabigpapa (Bart Reynolds) in the Spring, he bought the metal from MIA. Its been reblued by Giacomo, the metal is pretty much perfect. Has MX-15 wood. They are nice guns. Might be sold to club member here in Illinois.

Dave Eberhart

[​IMG]

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

You know, the more I read perazzibigbore's posts, the smarter he gets! I started my Perazzi life with a TMX over 12 years ago. Traded that for a MX3C combo. Traded the MX3 Combo for a MX-15 combo set. Traded that for a nice DB-81 combo. Traded that for another MX-15 set. Traded that for another really nice DB-81 combo set. Finally, after all the years of trying to find the "perfect for me" Perazzi, I was able to locate my personal "Holy Grail": A pristine MX3 Special, 34/32 barrels. The single had choke tubes while the O/U was fixed chokes. I paid $5800 for that set and was tickled to death to get it for that. (Thanks to Jim (too fast) on this site. I was also able to find an exceptional set of Tom Seitz combo barrels, 34"/30", from TPS (Tom Searles) on this site. I am fitting the Tom Seitz barrels to this gun as I write this as they are also the end result of a long time search and are exactly what I was looking for. I opted to go to 30" O/U barrels instead of the 32" barrels that came with the MX3 Special. For many years, I subscribed to the longer 32" O/U barrels because that's what all the big guns seemed to shoot, and more of them were available. Since going to the 30" barrels, however, I discovered that the shorter barrels are much easier to swing, and give me much more control over my second shot in doubles. My double average, since switching, went from .88 to .92 over my last 500 targets. To me that's pretty significant.

The reason for this rambling post is this: With all the wheeling and dealing I have done on this MX3 Special, I now have less than $5000 in it after selling the original MX3 Special barrels at a good profit. While I'm sure that Dave Kelly and Dan Bonillas would dis-agree, the MX-3 Special is, for my money, the premier Perazzi shotgun ever produced, and there is no comparison between the MX3 Special and the MX3. $5500 is a lot of money and will buy you a much better gun than the MX3 if you are patient and look around... Just my personal opinion..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If you are unable to find an MX3, then look for an MX6. Basically same gun, except the MX6 normally had a selectable trigger to shoot the top single and then the O/U, bottom barrel first.

Same basic receiver and barrel design.

The MX6 was a step up from the MX3. I have several Perazzi's, but I still shoot the MX6 best from the 27 - unknown why; probably balance and swinging weight.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.