1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX2000 on GB

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

saw this MX2000 gun on GB for $4k

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=196095627

went to go see it.....lever is at the center point, opens up loosely, good condition but has blue wear. No rust or pitting that I could see. Bore size is 18.7, fixed at F/IM, 32", 1.59kg weight. If it came with a regular stock, I would had put one of my ARs to trade and negotiated a bit and put some investment/elbow grease into just the receiver part to make it tight again. For that price, I can live with some blue wear.

FYI: the gunshop is small and just started up this past summer, right off of Rt. 83 in Shrewsburry (near the PA/MD line)...Precision Armory.... He has a Beretta 303, 30" fixed choke selling for $300 and some change, I thought maybe some folks would be interested in that. Good shape on the outside (I didnt take it apart to see what the innards looked like). He has other older used firearms for sale, some of which are in good to very good shape and/or new condition Owner is a young guy, very nice and will assist you, mainly deals with regular hunting and evil black rifle type of guns.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Is that a MX2000S fixed trigger.. or a MX2000 with a drop trigger?? Is the rib adjustable?? I can't tell from the pictures..

3. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

the trigger group has a barrel selector, the rib was flat....it's in good condition but for me to have jumped on it, I would have wanted it to have a regular stock and have it at least semi-tight.....

4. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I talked to the seller on the phone, he told me that the gun had a 30 1/2" O/U barrel with a fixed choke, and a fixed rib. I believe he also stated it had a drop out trigger, but I am not positive. Could this be an MX8 barrel on a MX2000 receiver? I think that it had a Gracoil recoil reducer also. The seller was a good guy to talk to.

5. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

he told me over the phone yesterday before I drove up today that it had 32" barrel and when i saw it today, it did look like it 32" (or 31.5" by Perazzi standards LOL)....

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The gun is original and matching.. Selectable trigger.. 31.5" barrels.. full/imp cyl.. needs locking bolt.. Spoke to Jim.. nice guy..

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ok.. I got the gun today.. The barrel is a 18.7 bore..a few small dings in the rib.. but nothing to worry about.. The gun is a MX2000/8.. 31.5" barrels.. choked .012/.031.. The trigger is externally selectable.. It needs a locking bolt.. which I knew when I bought it.. The bolt in it now is a 07.. which means the gun has only had 1 bolt change.. They start out at 09..The face of the receiver is like new.. It needs a good cleaning.. and a few springs to be changed and will be far better than most used guns you buy..

The stock is engraved...pretty wood.. and a recoil reducer that might be older than I am..but working perfectly.. All in all.. I got an excellent deal from this fine vendor and would strongly consider him for any future purchases..His communications were flawless..and shipped Fed. Ex. overnight.. properly packed.. All Good.. Mike

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

cool....I don't know if I would had rated it as "Excellent' as the seller described it in the ad, hence why I passed on it, otherwise if it was in Excellent condition without the need for a thorough cleaning, I would had bought it at his asking price.......anyone inquire about that Beretta 303 he has?

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I should have said inside the gun is excellent..as far as I can see.. Also.. the barrel is 30.75".. which is Ok.. As I look hard.. I see more wear on the outside than the inside.. looks like the engraving on the gun is much older than it is.. Still.. I think the price was quite fair.. and the service was excellent.. I wish the best to these guy.. Looks like Giacomo did the service on it over the years..as his name is in the original book.. Tonight I'll get a better look at the choke section.. I might let Stu Wright see if he can backbore the bottom barrel to give me a little more choke without going to tubes..

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

for sure post some pics once you get it all refinished.....

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. it looks like some kind of lacquer was sprayed over half the gun.. i made a knurled brass rod to roll over the metal and remove the lacquer.. other than a few honest wear spots..and the ding on the rib which I'll cover with my "short rib"..I think it will finish out pretty nice.. Certainly good enough for me.. there is a little wear by the trigger guard..and a bit by the top lever.. I'd say a fair 90%.. the rib ding would bring it down to 85% if I were grading the gun as is.. Inside.. a solid 95%.. very,very little wear..

The bottom barrel is a .736 bore.. I might let Stu open it up to .742..which would give me .018 I could live with that for doubles or bunker.. and use the top for singles..

I agree with you.. the butt stock had to go.. It will make someone very happy.. Just not me..But.. I knew that going in..

The parts list looks like this.. 2 sear springs.. 2 hammer springs.. 1 top lever return spring.. 1 #05 locking bolt .. And.. I'll change the butt stock to something that fits me.. and maybe the forend..(not that it needs it.. but to match the buttstock).. I'll add my add on rib and front hi-viz sight..and should be good to go..

I'll post pictures at the end of it all.. All Good.. Mike

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

OK.. I used my "short rib" barrel.. changed locking bolt.. cleaned and went thru gun.. changed wood.. Only other thing I had to add was a top lever lock plunger.. tiny thing that fits on the end of the spring.. I'll be shooting my new barrel tomorrow.. even if I can't see.. Feels real good.. All Good.. Mike
    [​IMG]

13. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

go get em, Mike

14. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

looks good....give us a review on how that short rib shoots....I am interested in trying out this short rib

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.