1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX15 O/U Barrel Info Needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I am looking fot an O/U barrel that will fit my MX15 serial number about 115,xxx
    Can anyone advise me as to what I need to get and does anyone have
    anything suitable available.
    Thanks, Doug

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Why is your request serial # specific?

3. citadel

citadel Active Member

Barry it is not serial number specific. I included that info in the event the time of manufacture could impact the ability of an O/U barrel to fit my receiver. I know that there are age related differences in many Perazzi models and thought that the same could be the case with an mx15.
    Doug

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Doug, you have a host of barrels to chose from. What you want is something that fits on an MX-8, with a type four lug. Almost anything you buy with a serial number in your range, or higher will work.

The thing you have to do is decide how long a barrel you want, and how high the rib should be. I paired a 31.5" O/U barrel with an MX-8 trap height fixed rib to my 35" MX-15 unsingle. Why? I was told it was the thing to do. It wasn't. The big mismatch in barrel lengths caused me no end of problems.

First of all, I was shooting a 22" high POI on the 35". Substituting a 31.5" without adjusting the comb height made the gun shoot even higher. That may not be what you want for doubles, where the second shot is at a bird only slightly rising, or flat. If you shoot a 60/40 gun, you don't have to worry about rib height. If your unsingle POI is higher, you may want to consider a higher rib. How much higher is up to you.

An MX-8 trap rib is the same height as your MX-15 barrel. The next step higher would be an MX-3 Special barrel (not MX-3, MX-3 Special). Then you move to an MX-10RS or MX-2000RS barrel. Then to an MX-10 (not RS); then to an MX-2005 barrel.

5. Chester White

Chester White Member

There is no Perazzi O/U barrel that can be used on your MX15 that will give the same sight picture and point of impact. The MX15 has an adjustable rib. The closest offering is the MX2000/3. In Perazzi parlance the rib height of the MX8 O/U barrels are flat rib 0mm, low ramp +2mm, and high ramp +4mm. The MX2000/3 rib height is +8mm. The MX15 rib height is +9mm.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What Chester said.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Doug, an MX-8 Trap O/U barrel set has a rib that is the same height above the centerline of the Under barrel and your rib is above the centerline of your unsingle (as per Giacomo).

For the reasons I've already alluded to, I don't think that is a good idea. It certainly wasn't for me. If I had it to do over again, the lowest rib I'd pair with an MX-15 is an MX-10RS or MX-2000RS adjustable rib barrel.

I sold those barrels band bought a matched set of 35" unsingle and 34" O/U barrels from an MX-2000RS combo. Both have adjustable ribs and each weighs within an ounce of each other. I now have no trouble switching back and forth. POI, sight picture, etc. are virtually identical. However, I have trouble on the second bird of doubles. I'm shooting a 90/10 POI right now for singles. I have the dickens of a time remembering to shoot under the second bird. When I shoot at it, I miss it. A slightly higher rib on the O/U would lower POI without requiring adjusting the comb, and that would help.

So an MX-15/MX-10RS O/U combo might be just the ticket for you.

8. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Now I will sit down and think about all the suggestions and try to figure out what will work for me and then see I can locate some one who has what I need for sale.
    Doug

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

This year I sold 3 totally different O/U barrels for a MX15 unsingle. One a MX8 step rib.. one a MX3 Special,and one a MX2000/3.. To each buyer.. the match was perfect and exactly what they wanted for doubles. Depending on what sight picture YOU want..and POI.. nothing is written in stone.. I would tell any friend to try it and see..before a yes.. or a no.. This does not apply to the 50/50 figure 8 bead shooter.. You will know as soon as you look down the rib.. Just my .02 cents.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.