1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX10-20RS release conversion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbshep, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbshep

jbshep Member

I am trying to convert one of my old 12 ga Perazzi release trigger groups to fit an MX10-20 ga that I recently acquired.
    That's right, MX10-RS in 20 gauge!

Of course the MX8-12 ga trigger group will not fit the smaller receiver without modification, but I thought I would try to make one fit.
    I reduced the length of the hammers a few 1000's so they do not hit the top of the receiver.
    That part works fine; the group fits into the receiver and the hammers fall OK.
    However, opening the action will not cock the hammers sufficiently to engage the sear.
    Apparently the cocking bar cam is not long enough or the cocking foot is too short.

I have tried two different 12 ga trigger groups with the same result.

Is this a problem that can be simply overcome? Perhaps a different cocking foot?
    I don't want to modify the receiver so I can swap back and forth between pull and release.
    Or should I just give up and try to find a 20 ga trigger group and have it converted to release.

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brad

2. jbshep

jbshep Member

I am trying to convert one of my old 12 ga Perazzi release trigger groups to fit an MX10-20 ga that I recently acquired.

Of course the MX8-12 ga trigger group will not fit the smaller receiver without modification, but I thought I would try to make one fit.
    I reduced the length of the hammers a few 1000's so they do not hit the top of the receiver.
    However, opening the action will not cock the hammers sufficiently to engage the sear.
    Apparently the cocking bar cam is not long enough or the cocking foot is too short.

Is this a problem that can be simply overcome? Perhaps a different cocking foot?
    I don't want to modify the receiver so I can swap back and forth between pull and release.
    Or should I just give up and try to find a 20 ga trigger group and have it converted to release.

Thanks,
    Brad

3. jbshep

jbshep Member

Thanks,
    Brad

4. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

I used one of my Allem double release triggers in my MX10-20ga with no problems other than polishing a little off the top of the hooks to clear the receiver. My guess, and that is all it is, is that the cocking rods are too short in your gun for this particular trigger. Also, I found out last Sunday that if you set and release the trigger while it is out of the gun, ( test cycle) the bottom of hammer spring can move off the bottom hammer pin and it will rest on the top of the trigger housing and stop the gun from cocking the hammer.

Jeff Bailey

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I used a 12ga trigger assembly in an MX8 20 ga frame w/ the only modification being I bought a set of 20ga hammers from Giacomo. Works flawlessly.

6. jbshep

jbshep Member

I've tried two different trigger groups, an Allem and a Bowen. Same problem with both.
    When I put the triggers back in a 12 ga frame they work fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.