1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX 8 vs TM-9

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KeithT, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithT

KeithT TS Member

I am a trap shooter (A-22-B) started shooting competitively three years ago, scores have been rising over the three year period.

I shoot a Perazzi combo set MX 16 (adjustable comb, fixed rib) which was sold to me some time ago by a local re seller when I could not get an MX 5 combo set ordered from Perazzi. I am told that the MX 16 is simple a MX 8 without the drop out trigger group?

I was thinking of having the MX 16 set re stocked (fixed custom fitted stock)so I went to a gun fitter after shooting on a pattern board he said the single barrel fit perfectly, but the over / under top barrel shot high and the lower to the left. He commented that he could fix this but would throw off the single barrel, so I opted to have nothing done.

So here is my solution to buy either a Perazzi MX 8 top single or the new TM-9 single , I like fixed barrel, low ribbed guns and then have the MX 16 over and under barrel fitted to shoot where I look.This will give me a back up gun and relieve some of the pressure on the MX 16 apoximately 15,000 rounds a year.

As I understand it, Perazzi makes two top american trap singles with low fixed ribs, the MX 8 and the new TM-9 could someone explain the differences including cost between these two guns.

2. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

THE TM9 IS A MID SINGLE LIKE THE TM1 WHICH IS NO LONGER MADE-THE TM9L IS THE SAME GUN WITH AN ADJUSTABLE RIB. THE MX8 TOP SINGLE IS A OVER/UNDER RECIEVER WITH TOP BARREL ONLY AND YOU CAN MAKE IT A COMBO WITH ANOTHER SET OV O/U BARRELS. CAN'T TELL YOU ABOUT COST EXCEPT A USED MX8 TOP SINGLE WILL PROBABLY BE CHEAPER THAN A NEW TM9.-RICK ZINO

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Just to make sure you you aren't spending any money here you don't have to, Keith, let's be a little more sure about your patterning results before you reach for your wallet.

You say you did the patterning. Can you tell us more detail? Number of shots, distance, support, that sort of thing.

Neil

4. KeithT

KeithT TS Member

Neil

Good point , I don't have good answers to your questions except that I relied on the fitters' judgement. I took aproximatly five shoot from each barrel of the combo set on the pattern board set up at his shop looked to be about sixteen yards. The metal board was painted after the five shoots, no pellet count etc.

Not very scientific, but he is a well known fitter in my area and has many trapshooters as clients, when he told me the single barrel was shotting where I was looking I believed him, same for the over /under barrels and I could see a difference in the patterns between the single and over / under barrels and between the lower and upper of the under / over barrels.

His ascertions seemed to make sense, how can you get a combo set to shoot the two barrels correctly ? if you change the single barrel you will alter the over / under barrel. So a compromise seems inevitable ? looks like this is a short comming of any combo set ?

Thanks for response.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keith- First make sure where the barrels are shooting, especially the one that you think shoots to the left. This will require several shots (7 to 10) from a solid rest. I like to test POI at 13 yards. Do not rely on one or two shots. I am sure your fitter is good, but I have seen mistakes made by trying to see where a gun shoots by looking at a couple of 30 yard patterns.

The O/U barrels can be made to shoot where you want them to shoot without altering the single barrel. This needs to be done by working on the barrels, not the stock.

Pat Ireland

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Kieth,

You got some really good advise from both Neil and Pat.

ss

7. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

only add one thing......the TM9X has an adjustable comb and an adjustable rib. The TM9 has no adjustability....I am NOT familiar with a TM9L....RUN E'M

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm having my old MX8 top single converted to an adjustable rib by Dennis DeVault. Could never shoot it and I can't wait to use it.

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Barry,

How much to convert it?

Ed Yanchok

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure. I'm having him do a bunch of other stuff and don't know the break out. Give Dennis a call. He's always reasonable.

11. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

He quoted me a price of around $850 to do my TM-1 and he would be set up sometime in Jan. Moneymaker also does adjustable ribs and they have a style like the MX-10 and I think their price is about the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.