1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX-8 Trigger Malfunction

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Scoutman 06, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have an MX-8 with a release/pull trigger {Allem}. 6 or 8 times in a round of doubles the gun fails to fire on the 2nd shot. Since both hammers cock, I think the problem has to do with the intertia block. The gun has a soft-touch recoil reducer & I shoot 1 oz. loads which I think is contributing to the problem. Can the ineria block system be modified for this set-up without risking damage to the trigger assembly? Thanks iin advance, John

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A few questions...

Does the second hammer drop? If it does, then check that foring pin and firing pin return spring, to see if either is broken.

If the trigger is not setting up for the second shot...do you have any kind of recoil reduction unit on the stock? This can impede the movement of the inertia block.

If it's just light loads, the two surface areas of the sear and the release/connector (the "T" shaped piece) can be stoned and polished, for a little less resistance.

Are you letting go of the trigger after the first shot sufficiantly, to allow the inertia block system to slip back under the top bbl sear?

If all else fails, you can install the larger inertia block that Perazzi uses on their smaller gauges.

Doug Braker

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

Try using a pull, pull trigger.

4. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll try adding lead wt. to the block & make a concious effort to let go of the trigger on the 1st. shot. If adding wt. does the trick, where can I get a heavier inertia block? John

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I think it refers to 'trapping' the trigger or failing to allow the trigger to rebound to its static state.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

PerazziBigBore / Doug - Please help me understand why a lighter load might require a heavier inertia block? My greatly limited mind seems to think a lighter load would require a lighter inertia block. What do I have backward, well, lets not go into everything that is backward about me, just this question?

Pat Ireland

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Alright, I'm no Physics major, so here goes...

Upon firing the gun, the gun moves back because of the recoil. It'll only travel so far until your shoulder(which also moves) comes to an abrupt stop.

The inertia block continues to move after this sudden stop. This is because of the mass of the block, plus it is allowed to because it pivots on a pin. The spring that'll you'll find on any inertia system is used to bring the inertia block back forward.

If the block has a little more mass(weight)to it, it will carry itself a little stronger/further than a block will a smaller mass.

A lot depends on how fast the gun stops after the recoil. A lighter shell will not recoil the gun back as fast as a heavier load. The gun must move during the shot to make the inertia block to move. If you held the gun to a tree or a brick wall, it will not set up for the second shot. The gun must carry the inertia block back, the sudden stop causes the block to continue to swing rearward. The more sudden of a stop, the lighter the block can be.

So let me see if I can sort the above out.

A lighter shell recoils more slowly, requiring a more sudden stop, for the inertia block to move. A heavier shell recoils somewhat stronger, allowing a little less sudden stop. A lighter inertia block with a lighter shell, will not get enough speed to continue it's move rearward on a softer stop.

The sudden stop has everything to do with the mass behind the gun(the shooter's shoulder.)

Make sense??

Doug

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I haven't installed a larger block since I let Kolar. We would use them with the tube sets. I'd have to check on Monday. There really shouldn't be any fitting, unless it's for wood clearence.

Doug Braker

9. BigM-Perazzi

Mike, the wording may not have been exact, but, I gather you got the drift of my explanation. I too come from a background of highpower/smallbore set triggers.

10. BigM-Perazzi

Well, I'm set with my Allor release now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.