1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MX-8 Polished Receivers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3200, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3200

3200 TS Member

Did Perazzi issue the MX-8 with a polished - not blued or color case hardened - receiver?. I've seen several MX-8s with polished receivers lately. (Note: I have not seen these guns up close, so I could not determine if the polishing was 'OEM' or someone's attempt to eliminate signs of worn bluing.)

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

3200... I don't believe Perazzi ever offered any of their guns with a polished receiver. Many shooters have them plated, but, I personally prefer a "polished" one. I polished my DB-81 receiver myself, along with the locking lever and both forend irons. I used 3 stages of polishing compound to get the highly polished finish and it turned out great. I keep it wiped down with a soft, breakfree coated cloth, and, after shooting it like this for a year, absolutely no rust or discoloring at all. I much prefer this finish to the nickle plated receiver I had on my last DB-81.....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Sporting1

Sporting1 TS Member

I ordered my MX8 with a nickle receiver, not polished. I wish Perazzi would nickle the forearm iron too when you order a nickle receiver.

4. 3200

3200 TS Member

I knew the nickeled receiver could be ordered, but the guns I've seen and reference had polished receivers. One of them was for sale. I guess the biggest question is, for those receivers that have been polished, how much of the 'edge' did it take off the limited engraving or scroll-work on the side of the receiver? If it was done by hand, I would think that the impact would be minimal. On the other hand if someone was in a hurry or a little over zealous with a motorized device, the effects could really be noticable.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

3200.....The edges and scroll work on my DB-81 is as nice as it was before I did the polishing......Dan

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

mx-14 specials came with polished receivers as did some of the older MX-2000 before they offered the nickel finish. I forget now, but I think it was a $200-$300 upgrade. I know a couple people who polished their own. They look great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.